Towing with Honda Civic

All about towing and tow vehicles

Towing with Honda Civic

Postby BackyardArcher » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:49 pm

Hi guys, I've been back and forth on this question and thought I would get yals advice..I am wanting opinions on how well a 2006 Honda Civic with an automatic tranny would tow a Little Guy 5-wide. It would be for let's say, a couple thousand miles:) I would install a tranny cooler and I do have alot of experience pulling heavy loads for what that's worth..Would be from Va and touring most of the western states..So does anyone tow with a Civic or something similar?
BackyardArcher
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Towing with Honda Civic

Postby Fred Trout » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:16 pm

According to the specs, Little Guy 5-wide Curb Weight equals 490 lbs. Depending on the Honda model, should have at least a 850 pound tow capacity.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-part ... hart11.htm

This is mostly obvious stuff. Should not present any real issues as long as you don't load it up with "stuff" or drive too fast; most detractors are more concerned about liability issues than actual towing problems. Keep track of what you actually use on your camping and leave all the "might needs" that you actually never use home. Try taking short trips to see if there are any real issues before your big trip to make sure it all works out.
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:05 am

I pull with a toyota Carolla front wheel drive. my trailer is probably heavier then your's. Have been pulling it with that car sense 2007, I am about to replace it do to age and ware and tare but it has pulled just fine.

The only problem I have found is the low center. going up steep driveways and speed bumps has lead to a scraping noise in the back. So we slow way down when it comes to them. but the gas milage has been the best ever.

Ron :thumbsup:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tucguy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:09 am

The Little Guy weighs 900 lbs and 90 lb. tongue weight. I tow mine with a 2004 Honda CRV. It has the Vtec engine with a 5 speed manual. It takes the trailer and us 2 adults and a 4 year old anywhere we want to go. I cruise at 65 max and get 25 to 27 mpg on the flat. The Little Guy has 13 inch wheels so I set the max speed at 65. Great mileage. I get 21 mpg driving alone and that is because I usually cruise at about 80 mph. Your civic will do just fine. Your trans cooler is a good idea. In the US we have greatly reduced tow weight limits on our cars. Not sure why. In Europe, tow weights are close to double what they are here for the same vehicle. Brakes are required on trailers there however. The CRV and the civic have much commonality in weight and tow ability. Have fun.
Tucguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gladtobehere » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:33 am

You really need brakes in order to handle ANY emergency braking situation. The brakes on the Civic are only enough to handle the Civic and 4 adults.

If you Never have an emergency braking situation and load and tow carefully you will probably be ok. But you decide on the risk. In Canada the if you rear end another vehicle it is YOUR fault.

My Little Guy did not have brakes but the axle has mounting plates for electric brakes.

My Aliner has brakes and I feel so much more secure and safe.
Gladtobehere
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CAPT KIDD » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:17 am

I just finished a 10,512 mile road trip across the US towing a 5x10 Silver Shadow with my PT Cruiser convertible. No problems staring or stopping. Usually drove 60 mph and averaged 22-23 mpg. I will admit that my PT is the turbo charged version.
CAPT KIDD
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles