Hitch extension question.

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: Hitch extension question.

Postby gudmund » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:30 am

Just to add to the "RED" tape idea I use - with the vehicle lites on, day or nite. this tape reflects like they are lites themselves!! When you see RED = you see RED!!! Some of the tape I have bought is a combination of silver and red in a continuous alternating strip you buy by the foot at my local RV store (W-M has packs of 18 inch strips but they cost a bit more per foot than the RV store) I just cut what I want, don't know how well the silver would show up but for some it may work fine. Just a thought.
gudmund
500 Club

Hitch extension question.

Postby Pixie Susan » Tue May 03, 2016 11:55 pm

My 2¢: I wouldn't use an extension because they're too limiting on your weight and another point of failure. But why can you use a super long tow bar? You don't have a reduction in weight then.

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Hi ... 80232.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Hi ... 80233.html

These may say "hidden hitch" but according to the "experts" at etrailer, sounds like they provided the answer to your exact problem by recommending this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pixie Susan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lrrowe » Wed May 04, 2016 12:03 am

To me, a hitch extender and a long tow bar will yield the same "moment of torque" issues as others have noted earlier.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Pixie Susan » Wed May 04, 2016 9:34 am

It is and it isn't. The extender's two connections is its Achilles heel, thus the 50% reduction in weight. The long tow bars do decrease in GTW with increase in length but not nearly as extreme as 50%. I don't always buy into a company's "product testing" but most of these company's use methods similar to NASA. I have friends over there whose sole job is to destroy things (I'm extremely jealous as my mom told me I could tear up a freight train with a rubber mallet when I was little). Enough torque on anything will break it but I'd "feel" safer running a 3000lb trailer on a 6000lb rated tow bar before I'd feel safe using an extension that has another point of connection. Pretty sure torque isn't going to have equal effect on continuous metal vs multiple hitch pin holes/connection points. But assuming something doesn't make it true. Always better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pixie Susan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JaggedEdges » Thu May 05, 2016 2:34 pm

Me, if I needed to do that, I'd get the longest one I could, think 18" is longest I've seen, and leave it in the trunk until I needed it, no need to do the actual miles with it on, 5 min to swap it on. Either that or I'd put a receiver on the front of my vehicle, and use that for tight maneuvering.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby tnsurveyor » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:39 pm

I have used one of the 18" extenders on my 2011 F150 when pulling my ATV trailer. The tailgate on my 2011 F150 is taller than the tailgate on my 2001 F150. It hits the tongue jack. Not being able to work out of the truck with the tailgate open was impossible, and unhooking the trailer was not an option either. I always kept it locked on the truck when we would be in the woods working.

I bought the 18" extender at Northern Tool, and have pulled thousands of miles with it. I have loaded both my UTV or my ATV on the trailer, without any issues. The ATV is about 600 pounds, and the UTV was probably twice that. I probably did exceed the tongue weight, but never had any issues at all. It does rattle, and now I have a device that should take some of that rattle out when I need the extender again.
tnsurveyor
Teardrop Builder

Postby CanuckShooter » Thu May 03, 2018 7:17 pm

I fail to see why a competent welder couldn't weld on an extension to the tongue of your trailer? They make a part so you can fold the tongue up and out of the way for storage and it seems to be tough enough...take of the coupler, put one of those on and add a 12" extension to your tongue.

And I think those tow bar extensions were used a lot in the days when 10 and 12 fool long slide in campers were more common.
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles