Best visibility in a tow vehicle (not using backup camera)

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: Best visibility in a tow vehicle (not using backup camer

Postby catinmoon » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:33 pm

KCStudly wrote:Funny, I thought my '03 Wrangler had pretty good visibility (perhaps they are referring to the newer JK's?) and was about to suggest it until I read that you don't like 4x4 type lifted vehicles.

Yes, good observation. I don't mind a somewhat lifted vehicle, but my 65 lb old dog doesn't like to jump, so I end up picking him up and putting my back out. I got 2 different ramps/stairs and he would have nothing to do with them even though I have trained him to do agility and other tricks. He is funny about doors, floors and hallways. Of course I won't always have the dog, but for now he and I are together. Of course my 40 lb Aussie mix ran right up the ramp.
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:44 pm

catinmoon wrote:
KCStudly wrote:Funny, I thought my '03 Wrangler had pretty good visibility (perhaps they are referring to the newer JK's?) and was about to suggest it until I read that you don't like 4x4 type lifted vehicles.

Yes, good observation. I don't mind a somewhat lifted vehicle, but my 65 lb old dog doesn't like to jump, so I end up picking him up and putting my back out. I got 2 different ramps/stairs and he would have nothing to do with them even though I have trained him to do agility and other tricks. He is funny about doors, floors and hallways. Of course I won't always have the dog, but for now he and I are together. Of course my 40 lb Aussie mix ran right up the ramp.

Wheelchair lift. Or any pickup crane and a harness for the dog. Image

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby catinmoon » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:47 pm

I looked at a few vans with wheelchair lifts but noted the mechanism for the lift makes the bottom of the van so close to the ground. I have some land off a very steep rocky road so don't want to drag on the belly of the vehicle when I go up there. Maybe there is a different kind of lift that doesn't extend below the native bottom of the vehicle. I guess if it was a raised vehicle it might all come out in the wash! This group is always full of work arounds..

I did get the dimensions of the teardrop from the friend who is storing it -- it's 58 1/2 inches wide. I guess I would call that 5 feet.

thanks,Stephanie
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:55 pm

catinmoon wrote:I looked at a few vans with wheelchair lifts but noted the mechanism for the lift makes the bottom of the van so close to the ground. I have some land off a very steep rocky road so don't want to drag on the belly of the vehicle when I go up there. Maybe there is a different kind of lift that doesn't extend below the native bottom of the vehicle. I guess if it was a raised vehicle it might all come out in the wash! This group is always full of work arounds..

I did get the dimensions of the teardrop from the friend who is storing it -- it's 58 1/2 inches wide. I guess I would call that 5 feet.

thanks,Stephanie

Ya, not those. You could mount this in the box instead of on the hitch, then let your dog into the cab via the back window. Image
Or mount something like this inside the cab on sliding rails so you open the back door, slide it out and let it down.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:08 pm

I use a wireless aftermarket backup cam mounted on the trailer license plate. The transmitter antenna is mounted forward on the trailer roof and the receiver/screen mounted on the inside rear view mirror. This gives me a view directly behind the trailer, but the light coming in thru the windshield makes the screen too dim to see well. The side view mirrors work fine, since the trailer is only 5 feet wide. I get some occasional screen flicker because the wireless connection is a bit iffy. Wiring was an "intermediate" level of difficulty. Not a perfect solution, but better than nothing. :NC

I'll get up some pics up if anyone is interested.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles