Any ideas about renting a vehicle to tow my TD?

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: Any ideas about renting a vehicle to tow my TD?

Postby catinmoon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:43 pm

EZDog wrote:Like I said,Enterprise Truck Rental is a different beast than Rent a Car,I wasn't kidding.

That seems high to me but not terribly so either.
I just returned from 9 days with that big honking van from them and it was $530 a week without insurance but we ALWAYS get the full coverage which is pricey for sure but not as pricey as a new van or my high deductible either!
I had an incident 2 years ago that didn't look too bad really but would have cost a crapload to get fixed myself but with the full coverage I just handed them the keys and walked away,worth the price for sure especially since I wasn't paying it anyway!

Anyway I understand your feeling the TD should be an easy pull with many cars as well,what is your vehicle?

On the other hand there is a strong argument for it being worth the cost to not have to put several thousand towing miles on your car regardless of what it is.

my car is a 2006 subaru legacy wagon manual transmission. I'm not so worried about putting miles on it, just not sure it's up to the task after a major engine rebuild it has less power than before.

Also there is currently no hitch. it's the legacy, not outback, so rides somewhat closer to the ground.
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Postby catinmoon » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:14 am

Just a follow up. I was able to tow the teardrop back from CA this summer. I put a trailer hitch on my Dad's 2005 ish Mercury Marquis. not the most ideal tow vehicle from a clearance point of view, and I had to use my heavy duty tow hitch with the multiple settings to get the trailer to sit level for towing. But great on the long grades on western interstates, and so didn't worry about power.

Not a long term solution but cost effective. Amazingly the gas mileage wasn't too bad -- between 15 and 25 it varied of course lower after I hooked up the TD but really not as bad as I anticipated.

Thanks for the ideas.

I now am wondering about a longer term lease vehicle (eg 2 years) and whether they would let you tow with that. will look into it, but if you have any personal experience let me know.

Stephanie
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Postby catinmoon » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:27 am

here is the marquis and the TD at the Eclipse Viewing party
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Postby Dale M. » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:36 am

Might casually look at truck that is a possible rental and see it it has receiver hitch and light hook up and sort of forget to mention you are going to tow something with it unless subject comes up (like read contract) ... Other action may be anonymous phone call to rental agency, for fast accurate answer....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles