Trailer brakes required?

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: Trailer brakes required?

Postby John61CT » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:15 pm

Big mountain downslopes make a big difference.

As does rain or snow.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gudmund » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:10 pm

over the last few years I have looked over and read the State list which shows their towing weigh requirements for having trailer brakes and most of them say 1500 lbs or more (yes for my state of Washington) - some are at 3000 lbs and some do not even have a weight requirement BUT almost all of the motor vehicle owners manual's I have looked at so far have said trailer brakes are needed if the trailer weights 1000 lbs or more. Example: My old S-10 owners manual said any trailer over 1000 lbs, trailer brakes are needed yet that vehicle had a 2000 lb towing capacity. The 07 Colorado I am using today for the tow vehicle with a max rated 4000 lb towing capacity also states when the trailer is over 1000 lb, trailer brakes are needed. I have read the same info in other brands of vehicle owners manuals also and think it is their way of covering the 'liability' aspect of saying "we told you so" if something was to happen when towing. The Teardrop I tow today usually weighs from 1000/1300 lbs when towing and I do feel it back there and YES if I had it to do over again, I would be happier with trailer brakes. So far, after having been done some brake pad research/sampling, things are much improved. But yes, after reading the little poem here awhile back, I today take it too heart - something to the words of :worship: "you can go down hill 'slow' a thousand times - but the first time you try it 'fast', it could be your last :worship:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:36 pm

The weight I found as the low threshold for needing brakes in some states is 1500# However having very similar teardrops one with out and one with, I would never want one with out again. It is better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.
If you decide you do not need them at least get axles that have the backing plate so you can add them when you come to your senses.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:04 pm

It should not be difficult, or even that expensive to add brakes to an existing build.

Right?

If course better to do it in the first place.

Transitioning to a flat area to a trip across the mountains would be a good time to consider doing so.

And I'm sure everyone knows on long slow descents, to downshift, let the engine friction take a load off your intermittent **not constant** pressure on the brakes.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles