Postby tony.latham » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:36 am

The emergency brake wont release...

What's the diagnosis? :thinking:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Toyota Tacoma

Postby bdosborn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:24 pm

Nothing yet, I've been driving the Dodge and procrastinating...

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby fishboat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:40 pm

Had this happen on my car. The cable from the e-brake mechanism up front to the rear brakes was corroded and jammed somewhere along the route to the rear. The garage replaced the cable and associated hardware. This was on a 1998 car(10+ years old at the time..set it while changing the oil out back). On a 2015 vehicle it may be electronic and not a cable..hard to believe corrosion would be that bad in a few years.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:11 pm

Just realized this thread has been revived from my questions about buying a Taco a year and a half ago, so thought I'd briefly update: We bought a new 2018 Taco in Spring that year.

154881 154880

It's been my wife's vehicle, and she has no complaints. It will be our tow vehicle, and possibly, after I retire, our only vehicle at some point.

We recently found a used Snug-top camper top for it

159587 159586 159589 159588

We were told the windows leak (I think maybe it's been repainted, and the windows removed then reattached), but it got cold before we could get out a hose to prove it. We ordered a wiring harness to give us the center brake light and to tie the lock in with the vehicle locks. Looks like it might be an effort to run that lock wire, and so we may throw our mechanic (and friend) a few bucks during their down period this Winter, and let his folks do it.

Shelly modified the rear window to suit our taste

From 159592 to 159626

She also added an important New Mexican caution sticker

More relevantly, we added a brake controller in a spot in the dash that used to have a credit card size holder

159623 159499

I did that by taking some scrap metal and making brackets that screw into the plastic bezel

159494 159496 159495

I then took a piece of scrap aluminum and used it to mount our scan gauge

159625 159627 159620 159618 159617

The tricky part there was positioning the scan gauge and running the cable so it couldn't possibly interfere with an air bag. Tony mentioned the safety record for the 3rd gen Taco, and I'm impressed. With the amount of time/distance we plan to spend towing our trailer, that is important to us.

My only minor complaint is that, in our Jeeps and in a friend's Tundra, I feel like I'm sitting up, which is comfortable enough that I can do it for 12+ hours at a stretch. In the Taco, the legs extend out, like a car, and not down. Pretty sure I'll get used to it though.

The other thing is that we really like our mechanic, and when we owned two Jeeps we got to see him regularly. With the Taco, not as much. :cry:

Tom :D
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:21 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:My only minor complaint is that, in our Jeeps and in a friend's Tundra, I feel like I'm sitting up, which is comfortable enough that I can do it for 12+ hours at a stretch. In the Taco, the legs extend out, like a car, and not down. Pretty sure I'll get used to it though.

That's really my only complaint as well. I can do 4-5hrs, but nothing more! Still I find I have to stop every couple to get out and stretch. Now, being said, that has become a blessing in disguise. Now that we plan only a 3-4hr to the next destination, we find we're traveling slower and seeing more along the way. Hey, it still takes us 8-12hrs to reach the next spot we planned on, but we've seen so much more! Okay.. it's also a benefit of being retired.. LOL
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:19 pm

RJ Howell wrote:
Tom&Shelly wrote:My only minor complaint is that, in our Jeeps and in a friend's Tundra, I feel like I'm sitting up, which is comfortable enough that I can do it for 12+ hours at a stretch. In the Taco, the legs extend out, like a car, and not down. Pretty sure I'll get used to it though.

That's really my only complaint as well. I can do 4-5hrs, but nothing more! Still I find I have to stop every couple to get out and stretch. Now, being said, that has become a blessing in disguise. Now that we plan only a 3-4hr to the next destination, we find we're traveling slower and seeing more along the way. Hey, it still takes us 8-12hrs to reach the next spot we planned on, but we've seen so much more! Okay.. it's also a benefit of being retired.. LOL

Sitting in my office right now, staring at the "5 Mondays" on my white board. Been counting down since August. :FNP

Our plan will be to try and keep drives down to less than 8 hours a day, and never drive between destinations 2 days in a row.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles