Kia Soul???

All about towing and tow vehicles

Kia Soul???

Postby Aurevoir » Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 am

Has anyone been towing with a Kia Soul Plus? I have a 2013 and got the go-ahead from my mechanic and going for a light build (under 1000 lbs) but still super scared. Lemme know if anyone has any experience.
-Syd
Aurevoir
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Kia Soul???

Postby Tomterrific » Wed May 06, 2020 8:35 am

I towed with a Miata, enough said. The Soul will tow fine but you will have to use lots of power for hills and freeway speeds over 60 will have increasing wind drag. The wind drag will surprise you. Your gear plus the camper will weigh enough you will start thinking like a backpacker and try to lighten things up.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby djohnsonnv » Wed May 06, 2020 9:38 pm

I have a 2012 Soul + and tow my kayaks eith it. The trailer probably weighs 400 to 600 poumds when I have my camping gear in it. It struggles over the steeper grades but it get me there.

Note. The owner's manual (US) says not recomended for towing but UK Caravaners magazine named the 2012 Soul tow vehicle of the year.Image

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
djohnsonnv
Teardrop Builder

Postby Aguyfromohio » Thu May 07, 2020 1:07 pm

djohnsonnv wrote:I
...Note. The owner's manual (US) says not recomended for towing but UK Caravaners magazine named the 2012 Soul tow vehicle of the year...

I noticed something similar for my Hyundai Sonata. In the US towing not recommended. Same car in Australia had 2000 lb tow limit.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby djohnsonnv » Thu May 07, 2020 1:14 pm

Aguyfromohio wrote:I noticed something similar for my Hyundai Sonata. In the US towing not recommended. Same car in Australia had 2000 lb tow limit.

It is pretty universal especially for the smaller vehicle market. My 2019 Forester is rated 1500 lbs here and 1500 kg in Australia. Lots of people (on this forum amd others) have opinions about why the standards are so different, who is right, and true safety vs liability.

One thing I have learned from the circular conversations is the whoa is more important than the go. Put brakes on your trailer if you are towing with a small car.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
djohnsonnv
Teardrop Builder

Postby Aurevoir » Sun May 10, 2020 11:24 am

Thanks, I totally agree we got the go-ahead from our insurance so it's a go! Hopefully, the build will keep under 1000 lbs :frightened:
Aurevoir
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Sun May 10, 2020 8:37 pm

Its not too difficult to restrict the weight to that.
Use a minimal kitchen, no water or waste tanks.
:thumbsup:
Count every ounce you consider adding. It can get
out of hand quickly without that.
:NC
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:30 am

I know this is a 2 year old thread, but I thought I would pipe in here. I have a 2018 Kia Soul. Originally I was going to build a super-lightweight camper, but the arthritis in my hands has gotten pretty bad so I did not feel I would do a quality job with all the curves I intended.

Instead, last month, I bought a 30 year old, 8' Coleman popup that originally had a dry weight of 985 pounds. I was looking for this specific model as I knew its dry weight and size. I bought it and pulled it back from PA to my home in WV (180 miles), mostly curvy mountain roads with three 9% grades. I got (not kidding here) 29 mpg at a 45 mph average speed. I have a 6 speed automatic, but used the manual mode, never going into 6th gear. It towed and braked ok. It does not have trailer brakes, but I will be adding them in the future. Oh, and I can actually see over the camper with inside rear view mirror and the sides with my standard side mirrors. I was amazed at this. Actually, I must say it towed very straight and the Soul did not mind pulling it or stopping it.

Once home, I stripped the interior, which was a bunch of crappy old particle board. I figure that reduced the weight another 100+ pounds. Now have used it camping twice and will go more before autumn. This autumn I'll replace the OSB flooring and bed pullouts. I'll use thin plywood, sandwiched rigid foam. I will also build a new roof, using rigid foam, aluminum and PMF. I may be able to knock off another 50 lbs.

While the canvas is in great shape, it was replaced by the original owner, I am considering building collapsible rigid/PMF walls. I saw how another small popup builder did this with an amazingly nice result. That would probably be a wash with weight, the towing height would be the same, but would make it into a 4 season camper. I added in a 100 watt solar panel system I had from my previous build and a maxx air vent, with my 200mm computer fans for ventilation.

I am able to do this economically, as three years ago I had purchased all of the XPS foam board I would have needed to build another camper, plus the titebond, canvas and other misc stuff. I have 1/4", 1/2", 1" and 2" foam boards. The previous owner had a lot of spare parts for it, parts I don't need, such as 2 gas stoves, sinks, propane heater and more. I'll sell all of that, since I have the same stuff from Conch Fritter.

So yes, a Kia Soul can work with a lightweight camper, even a popup. IT does it well, but you have to be mindful that you have a trailer behind you.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:59 pm

Never say never- I unexpectedly got "old" and aged into a Kia Soul. ;)
I bought a 2023 Kia Soul in January and the 2.0L engine is standard. I think the small camper for me is the Aliner Scout- 12' long model with 9.5' body length. I can store that in a garage or a Harbor Freight canopy storage tent.
How did the pop up tow with your Kia Soul last year?
Has anyone here towed an Aliner?
I just became aware of a small ultralight camper made by the Aliner company- called the , Cabin A, sold from around, 2003-2007, but I haven't seen a listing for one yet.

-
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles