Long Cub/Modernistic

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Long Cub/Modernistic

Postby atkryder » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:18 pm

Does anyone have any pics of the cub profile that is a little longer than the standard 10ft? Maybe 11 to 12ft. I really like the cub shape and profile but i want it to be a little longer to add some storage!

Seth
atkryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tinksdad » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:25 pm

Don't know if this is exactly what you are requesting, or if it will even help; but I drew the cub profile in the original 10', overlaid with it at 11' and 12'. Left the height the same on all three.

I tried to re-size the pic so it would work here unsucessfully. It lost too much detail when I scaled it down..

Instead, I am providing the link to my photobucket to peruse it in the original size.

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff165/tinksdad01/?action=view&current=cubprofiles.jpg
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:33 am

...look at "sonnetpro"s Fish Inn or "eddielbs"s lil Cajinn ...they are both very close to what you want and what "tinksdad" has posted...I believe they are 12' long.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:13 pm

The Lil Diner is 12' long, and it's close to a cub shape...

But we made it a few inches taller too...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:35 pm

For some reason, I have an enlarged Cub profile at 144" (12ft) long but at a very odd 58" (4ft 10in) high - so the length and height were stretched equally. I have no memory of what that was for!

If you want a longer Cub at standard height, it wouldn't take long to draw out the profile and someone else might want it someday - pm me if you're interested.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby TheDuke » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:20 am

I hafta say, Mike, that the longer I look at the Lil Diner, the more I'm convinced it's just the prettiest thing around. May it live a long time.

The Duke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:13 pm

Don't get me wrong. I love my little Puck. But you guys do the most amazing work and turn out the nicest looking trailers. I wish I had a garage, or even a driveway so I could build something. Anything!!
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Aaron Coffee » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:58 pm

I used the cub/modernistic in the design library and messed around with it in Turbo cad, and was able to shorten it to 107 inchs, by 43 inchs tall. Can't tell you how I did it, because I just kind of clicked around until I could resize it. Was aiming for 109 x 42, but what I came up with is close enough.
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TD Beej » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:29 am

I've been messing around with the Modernistic profile too, to make it bigger, more storage, large galley, potential for dining or sleeping for 2 adults and 4 kids in a pinch.

I keep tweaking and figuring things out but this is where it is currently.
TD Beej
Teardrop Master

Postby Corwin C » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:12 pm

This is the profile that I'm working on ... I'm looking at a 5' x 10' frame.

Still deep in the planning stages ;)

Corwin
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby GregB » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:58 pm

Corwin,

I finally figured out where you are. We have an annual camp out in the mountains west of Koosharem. I really like your profile, but wonder about your flat spots, other than a great place to mount your vent/fan, what do they accomplish?

Greg
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:06 am

Me too.... Sorry but it looks like you didn't plan well and ran off the sheet.
:oops:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby danlott » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:06 am

I agree about the flat spots. I do not see much benefit in having them. You might consider the 2+2H profile in the Design Library. It is similar to what you have and the dimensions are almost the same. Good thing about it is that most of the designing is done. There is even a very good frame design with it.

Here is Andrew's 2+2H profile from the design library.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:40 am

I guess I'm the odd man out, but I like Corwin's profile as shown.

Aesthetically, I think the trick is to blend the curves into the straight areas which he did. (The geometric term I believe is to have the curves "tangent" to the straight sections.) Short sections of flat area will not pond enough water to worry about.

I have a flat section on my roof that is about 18" (where my vent fan will be.)

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Corwin C » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:41 pm

The flat areas, (besides being areas to mount vents, etc.) allow the curve to be pushed outward and increase the volume inside. In actuality, the only time that the flat areas could have standing water is when I'm set up to sleep inside. Any other time I'll intentionally leave one tire or the tounge either high or low to prevent standing water.

The 2+2H profile is actually where I started, but I wanted to lower the back and have the hatch extend all the way to the floor (too much "hook" in the 2+2H for a full hatch.) I also wanted more volume in the upper front corner (AKA Benroy) while retaining the "Cub" profile.

Tom: Thanks for the support ... I was wondering how many feathers I would ruffle by putting flats on a cub profile, hence the "modified." And if the dimensions and notes weren't on the drawing, no one would know that they're there. :R

GregB: I've spent quite a bit of time between Kingston Troughs and Manning Meadow ... I know the area well. I feel privelidged to have the opportunity to live where I do. BTW - The door's always open when you're in the neighborhood. :)

Corwin
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Next

Return to Traditional Designs