makeing the roof water tite

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

makeing the roof water tite

Postby rambler » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:16 pm

any body got any ideas on what put on the roof thats water tight and inexpenceive lol Im on a budget and i want it brown
rambler
Teardrop Inspector

Re: makeing the roof water tite

Postby Steve_Cox » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:57 pm

rambler wrote:any body got any ideas on what put on the roof thats water tight and inexpenceive lol Im on a budget and i want it brown

Rambler,

Welcome to posting on the forum...
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Dan & Julie CO » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:18 pm

Rambler I am wondering the same, I am on a budget that has hit the skids
I would like to find some alternative to epoxy, aluminum, marine paint but haven't had any suggestions as of yet. I wonder if anybody has used the
garage seal or roof coat with any success?
:thinking:
Dan & Julie CO
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:31 pm

...Welcome Rambler...I don't want y'all to take this the wrong way BUT areyanutz...you have spent time/money/sweat and blood to get to the point of sealing the roof...you know the thing that protects you and your investment from the elements and you wanna scrimp here...the roof is the last place to scrimp on...to have an effective roof sealing solution, it is gonna cost ya 2-300+ bucks...at the very least a gal of epoxy and a gallon of marine urethane paint will run you around 150 bucks...compared to what it cost you to get to that point, that's cheap...the only thing I can think of that might be cheaper would be auto vinyl roof material and then ya better keep it covered when not in use for the longevity factor....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Dan & Julie CO » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:59 pm

Yes I am nutz :? send your donations to complete my teardrop p.o.box Fountain co

and wait there's more!!! I will send you a set of steak knives!!!

Madjack I know your right. I just wanna camp ;)
Dan & Julie CO
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:29 pm

Dan & Julie CO wrote:................................................................
Madjack I know your right. I just wanna camp ;)

...just check the weather, getta tarp and go...best way I know!!!!!! You wouldn't be the first with a tarp covered tear...by a long shot......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:38 pm

madjack wrote:...just check the weather, getta tarp and go...best way I know!!!!!! You wouldn't be the first with a tarp covered tear...by a long shot......
madjack 8)

If you attend LCG IV in October, there's probably a good chance that I will have a tarp covered teardrop as slow as my build is going. Actually, I may have my teardrop partial frame and shell strapped to my HF parts trailer with the whole mess covered in tarps.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:20 pm

The only thing more expensive than doing it right the first time is doing it twice. Guys I used Spar Varnish and my roof ended with tiny cracks every where. Now for me the look is ok cause the trim looks similar. I did have to go over it with epoxy and Clear Coat which is no longer sold.

Get the best you can afford---take the time to put on lots of coats---and check it often.

Marine varnish will work if you keep it up.............
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:31 pm

aggie79 wrote:
madjack wrote:...just check the weather, getta tarp and go...best way I know!!!!!! You wouldn't be the first with a tarp covered tear...by a long shot......
madjack 8)

If you attend LCG IV in October, there's probably a good chance that I will have a tarp covered teardrop as slow as my build is going. Actually, I may have my teardrop partial frame and shell strapped to my HF parts trailer with the whole mess covered in tarps.

...you wouldn't be the first or only one like that as well...the main thing is to just get out there and doit............. 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Elumia » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:30 am

I've seen brown tarps....
Elumia
500 Club

Postby rambler » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:47 pm

well guess you guys are right tarps will work but Im thinkin pollyurathane and paint lol
rambler
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Danny » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:26 am

This thread is o;d, however, 28 gauge Galvanized sheet metal is very sturdy and a HECK of a lot cheaper than Aluminum..use adhesive or, double sided tape, use plenty of your favorite sticky goo on the edges, trim it out.. Good to go and very rain proof. :thumbsup: .Danny
Danny
The 300 Club

Return to Traditional Designs