Kit Profile/Lofting Information

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Kit Profile/Lofting Information

Postby jride200 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:57 pm

Hi All, As the title states, I'm looking for lofting information for the Kit teardrop camper. I can get a general idea, from looking at various pics, but if anyone has this information it'd be a big help. I've looked in the design library, and I've searched, but I can't seem to find anything. I already have Mr. Whipp's full size tracings, which I will use when it comes time to make my router template, but I'd first like to do some work on the old drawing board. Thanks! Jason
jride200
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tinksdad » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:03 pm

I've got a Kit profile done in Sketchup if it will help. It may not be exact to Grant's full size; but it's darn close. It wouldn't be hard to overlay a grid and get some measurements.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby jride200 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:55 am

Great... How can I get the file from you? I've not used Sketchup, but I suppose its time for me to learn.
jride200
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mark72 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:09 am

I just don't know why but no one seems to want to do the kit profile in cad. Grant sells the profile for a reasonable price but that still doesn't do anyone who wants their local sign shop to route the profile and door on their CNC table any good. A good steady hand will cut all the shapes but the accuracy you would get especially on the door gap would be excellent from the CNC router!
I don't know but it seems to be taboo..

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby tinksdad » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:27 am

Can't speak for anybody else; but for myself..... I haven't mastered CAD yet. :(
tinksdad
500 Club

Kit profile

Postby danlott » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:47 am

The KIT profile is actually a closely guarded trade secert. Sort of like the COKE formual or KFC's 13 spices. Although you can buy profile tracings, they are not exact copies of the KIT profile. Only 2 people know the true profile layout measurements. One person knows the front half, while the second knows the back half. These 2 people do not know each other and have never met. How these 2 people are selected and how the measurements come together is a secert.

As you can see getting a true profile layout of a KIT teardrop would be close to impossible and would probably get you put in jail if you were able to get one. Even if you were to get close and believe that you did have a true KIT profile, the former company lawyers would quickly deny that your profile was a true KIT profile.

Good luck with your quest. :)

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby Mark72 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:45 pm

:lol: good thing I can't use CAD!

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby tinksdad » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:49 pm

OK..... I'm a glutton for punishment. Just spent a good part of the movie I'm trying to watch taking x,y measurements from my sketchup version of the kit profile. They are hand written at this point. Give me some time (not tonight!) to type them up into some kind of file and if they will be of any use to you, they are yours.
tinksdad
500 Club

I Know!

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:45 pm

I have the original drawings of the Kit profile before it was copied, torn in half, and the two halves (yeah, I know two halves is kinda redundant) entrusted to two different people that don't know one another.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you!

Such is life (or death if I tell you, but I won't do either).

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby reo-ron » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Hey did anyone ever get a KIT profile in some kind of computer format???????? I want to cut one on a shop bot but need profile in some kind of computer format. CAD, etc
HELP!!!!!
Ron in Tulsa
Old cars, trucks, trailers and scooters - bought, sold, traded and enthusiastically talked about.
reo-ron
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:37 am

tinksdad wrote:Can't speak for anybody else; but for myself..... I haven't mastered CAD yet. :(

I have not mastered CAD yet either. Even though I use 2 CAD systems at work, and 3 CAD systems at home. Usually just about the time I think I have it figured out, the next release comes along, and everything has been moved and changed.

It wouldn't be too hard to come up with a KIT profile, if someone has a good side view. And I'll bet that's what Tinks did!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby prohandyman » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:28 am

Closely guarded secret???!!! Just call Grant...he has the complete full size profile on heavy brown paper to purchase. Makes it very simple.
Or call me and I can trace a profile off one of my original sides I have sitting around. You can't get much more factory than that.
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby reo-ron » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:25 pm

The full size profile will not help. I need a CAD type fill to program the computer controlled router to cut the sides exactly. The precision cuts and gaps would sure speed up the build.
Ron
Old cars, trucks, trailers and scooters - bought, sold, traded and enthusiastically talked about.
reo-ron
The 300 Club

Postby prohandyman » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:48 am

Oh sorry I missed that little note.
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:04 am

reo-ron wrote:The full size profile will not help. I need a CAD type fill to program the computer controlled router to cut the sides exactly. The precision cuts and gaps would sure speed up the build.
Ron

Cutting the sides takes about 10 minutes each once you have it drawn out (from Grant's handy profile or whatever other source you find). It won't speed up the build too much if you spend a month looking for a program to do it for you??
:)
Grab that jigsaw and just "git 'er done"!!
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Traditional Designs