Possible Honeycomb wall weight saving???

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Postby rowerwet » Sun May 15, 2011 6:11 pm

I did mine by laying out my side wall on the panel, cutting it out and then framing to match the panel. seems easier that way than trying to hold together a bunch of sticks in complex shapes.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby electronicx » Thu May 19, 2011 1:32 pm

aggie79 wrote:I don't know what the capabilities of your CNC is, but if it can handle 4' x 10' sheet goods (or whatever size profile you're using), I'd be tempted to use 3/4" plywood "framing" instead of stick framing.

I did it the manual way with a template, jig saw and router. Here is a picture of my framing with the interior wood applied:

(By the way, I left about 3" minimum width of plywood for framing. Half that width would still be plenty strong enough.)

Cut the framing, apply the skin, and you're done.

This is how I plan on doing mine. But I'm not sure if I am going to use 1/2" or 3/4" plywood for the core. I am going to use 1/4" on the inner and outer wall because 1/8" seems to be hard to find around here. If I use 1/2" it will be a 1 inch thick wall when sandwiched together. Can anyone think of any great reasons to go with 3/4" over 1/2" for the core? Mine will be a teardrop profile wall made from one 4x8 sheet.
electronicx
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Traditional Designs