Formica

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:02 am

caseydog wrote:Eddie used formica on his first Evac-A-Shack, because he could get it cheap, and he was used to working with it in his cabinet business.

It looked great, at first. I faded really badly over a few years. It does not like to be outside.

I used FRP on my roof, and have been very happy with it. I ordered a tan color from Home Depot. You put it down on your wood surface just like you would with Formica -- and it costs less.

I keep my TD in the garage, so I can't speak for the UV and weather resistance of FRP over a long time, but it works fine for the 20-30 days my TD is out in the elements during a typical year.

CD

I placed my spars 12" on center and simply screwed thru the frp into the spars with no wood sheet goods under it. Time will tell if that was a mistake.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby steve smoot » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:33 am

Question for Caseydog, did you use contact cement to apply the FRP to your roof skin? :thinking:
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Re: Formica

Postby Javanino » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:18 am

So glad I joined this forum, already found many topics that I had questions about. I'm planning to use laminate/formica on the sides because of color options and I believe it to be quite durable as long as the sides are sealed and the laminate will not separate from the plywood. If anyone has had any problems since the previous posters, I definitely like to hear how it's worked out for you.
Javanino
Teardrop Builder

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:02 am

Javanino wrote:So glad I joined this forum, already found many topics that I had questions about. I'm planning to use laminate/formica on the sides because of color options and I believe it to be quite durable as long as the sides are sealed and the laminate will not separate from the plywood. If anyone has had any problems since the previous posters, I definitely like to hear how it's worked out for you.

If possible go for the glossier finish on plam as the matt finish will fade quicker over time from UV rays. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby markhusbands » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:29 pm

I got to admit, I'm really intrigued by the idea of using a light, wood-look laminate - for the sides at least, if it would make for low maintenance. But the fading would worry me...

...and the FRP - I assume it only comes in whites? practical but sort of boring to my taste...

Anybody else have any durability reports or construction advice for using sheet laminate?
markhusbands
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Traditional Designs