PVC Pipe as a tank

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: PVC Pipe as a tank

Postby Doubltap » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:36 am

Error in table. I believe the 3" pipe would give you 3.06 pounds for the .367 gallons of water, NOT 23.06 as is represented in the table. Jes my 2 cents!

Doubltap
When your outgo is more than your income, your upkeep will be your downfall !
Doubltap
Silver Donating Member

Postby Henry Benner » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:23 pm

How about just using a coil of 3/4" plastic pipe. Could be coiled in the trailer frame cavity, in a wall cavity, around the inside perimeter, etc.

Would be easy to have a number of coils joined together.
Henry Benner
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bogo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Weight for volume. That's allot of wall volume for the water amount stored.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby KBS » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:24 pm

One cubic foot = 7.48 gallons.
Karl Stevens
KBS
Teardrop Advisor

Postby musjakey » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:14 am

Soda kegs! Genius! I'm a home brewer so I have a few extra. I bet I could modify the pickup-tube so they would work on their side. They are stainless steel so they would be nice and tough. Has anyone tried this? Sorry to hijack the thread!

-Jacob
musjakey
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:02 pm

musjakey wrote:Soda kegs! Genius! I'm a home brewer so I have a few extra. I bet I could modify the pickup-tube so they would work on their side. They are stainless steel so they would be nice and tough. Has anyone tried this? Sorry to hijack the thread!

-Jacob

If you have room for corny kegs of water, why not carry homebrew? Just kidding. Since corny kegs have such a large opening, you would have to drag them out to fill and then put them back in. And remember they weigh 5-8 lbs empty, more than plastic jugs.

Oh, and how would you pressurize it to get the water out? A CO2 tank adds to the weight and complexity.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Bogo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:03 pm

And what happens when you use CO2 to pressurize a water tank? I mentioned it before.

You could still fill them from an external water supply if you plumbed them right, but that could be tricky.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:13 pm

Bogo wrote:And what happens when you use CO2 to pressurize a water tank? I mentioned it before.

You could still fill them from an external water supply if you plumbed them right, but that could be tricky.

You get fizzy water! And it doesn't taste good.
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby musjakey » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:05 am

Great points! I decided on a normal 10 gal Roto-molded tank. The kegs would be durable but not worth the headache.
musjakey
Teardrop Inspector

Postby steinbachbyuma » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:19 am

pappaw wrote:Does anyone know the formula to calculate a size pipe by the length to get the gallons it would hold? :thinking:

Diameter (in Feet so 12" =1 or 6" =0.5)

Diameter * Diameter *0.785 *7.48 = gallons of water per foot of pipe
steinbachbyuma
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cajundood » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:56 pm

I saw a nice design somewhere on here. They used a 4" pipe capped at both ends....which was about 6 foot long. It was painted black and mounted on the roof. During the day the sun heats the black pipe and the water within. it wasn't much about 4 1/2 gallons or so, but it could certainly be used to either wash a few dishes or maybe even a quick shower. The little outdoor shower that i am brainstorming would make perfect use of the pvc tank. I'm gonna bend a piece of PEX in a u shape which will mount to the outside wall by the entry door....and hold a shower curtain. Since this tank would be roof mounted, there would be no need for a pump.....it'd basically be gravity fed, so there won't be very much pressure. Can then reach the little hand sprayer used in my kitchen sink to take a quick shower. :thinking:
cajundood
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets