2 Person Standy Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

2 Person Standy Build

Postby Fyddler » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:07 pm

Well, after lurking in the forums for a year or so, I am ready to take the plunge. My wife is used to a 26' luxury motel on wheels, so it has taken quite a bit of convincing. The plan has gone from a standard 5x8 Generic Benroy to a 2 person standy based off of the sketchup by danlott seen here viewtopic.php?f=62&t=49166. I have streched it out 18" to accomodate a queen sized bed, more storage, and a larger galley. Gata keep the queen happy after all!

My build begins with an old boat trailer that I converted to a quad trailer. Plan on working on it this weekend, stripping off the old deck, and cutting it down to size.
Trailer1.JPG
Trailer1.JPG (140.88 KiB) Viewed 10202 times

I have been bouncing between using 3/4" ACX and insulated sandwich side walls. At first I thought 3/4" ply would be the easiest choice, but after considering splicing plywood I am thinking that the sandwich walls may be easier (and lighter) in the long run.

I am humbled by some of the beautiful builds on the forum, but we are hoping to be camping by summer, and since my wife is committed, but not convinced this will be a budget build.

Anyone have any thoughts between the two styles of walls? I live in Western Washington, so it is wet, but mild climate, and we are really only 1.5 season campers (late spring to early fall), so I figgure either design would be warm enough.

I also want to thank the entire forum for being so helpful so far. What a gold mine of information!
To err is human, to really foul up requires a computer

Build Log: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55017
Fyddler
The 300 Club

Re: 2 Person Standy Build

Postby KCStudly » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:10 pm

Fyddler wrote:I am thinking that the sandwich walls may be easier (and lighter) in the long run.

Lighter? Oh hell yes!

Easier (and/or faster)? Oh hell no! Unless you are a well equipped master carpenter.

Me? I'm doing a hybrid foamie method with thin ply on the inside and 1-1/2 inch thick foam. Very time consuming to plan all of the anchor points and install wood blocking everywhere that it is needed. But that is another subject.

Have you considered the skeletonized ply core method, like Becky used on her Sagwagon starting here? Many others have used this technique and it appears to be a good compromise between weight, ease of building, and insulation value (both sound and temp). It is also fairly forgiving for making additions and changes down the road because there are plenty of places where you will find wood to screw things into later.
Last edited by KCStudly on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Fyddler » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:44 pm

I thought about it, but then im back to splicing 3 pieces of plywood together each side (The walls are up to 12' long by 6' tall), of corse they would be hidden by the panneling so it wouldnt be as critical.

Thanks for the feedback.

Fyddler
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:54 pm

In the grand scheme of things, splicing the thicker plywood is not that big of a deal. The spline method or a plate joiner and biscuits is probably the easiest. If you leave places in the skeleton for the butt joints to land, the thinner skins can just be butted together and let the glue do the rest.

It won't build itself. :D
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Fyddler » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Been playing in sketchup today... I have a lot to learn.

Here is what I started with, Thanks to danlott for the design.
Original.jpg
Original.jpg (49.98 KiB) Viewed 10138 times

I added 12" to fit a queen size bed, and more storage (=keep wife happy).
Plan2.jpg
Plan2.jpg (45.39 KiB) Viewed 10138 times

I then thought, what the hell, may as well make it an even 12'! I then started playing around with the profile. I like the thought of maximizing room, but I really like the round tear shape, so I came up with this. It does mean slightly less headroom, but I dont plan on standing around much, and a shorter door, but I think it looks sharp.
Plan3.jpg
Plan3.jpg (43.44 KiB) Viewed 10138 times

I am leaning towards the last version. Wife says its up to me (yea, put the pressure on me).

Fyddler
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:27 am

I've built standies with both solid and stick framed walls. While the solid is much easier, short of fighting them to move around, the stick type takes more time. Since my current trailer is larger than what I've done before, I went with the stick framed walls. I'll bet when it's all said and done, that this larger trailer comes in about the same weight as the smaller Scotty clone I did a couple of years ago with the solid walls. At least that's the plan. With a stick framed wall, more thought is required to figure out where you want cleats or nailers to attach interior items, or exterior things like an awning rail, lights, etc....however, you do get more R value with the insulation.

If you have ever had the chance to really tear apart an older stick built trailer, you would be surprised at just how poorly built they were, yet, they hung together for many years. With just a few things like a joint that actually fits, and some modern type adhesives, it's a strong build. The older ones were just "whacked" together with large crate type staples and chances are...most of the joints had a major gap in them. I'd think that if most current RV buyers of the smaller trailers really knew just how the interior of the walls were constructed, they'd flip out on the asking price. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby danlott » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:20 am

Glad I could inspire your build.

As for the walls I would use 3/4" solid plywood only. I would use 1/8" ply on interior and exterior of the roof with insulation between the spars. I would use aluminum on the exterior. For noise control and some insulation I would use hull liner carpet on the interior. This by far will be the fasts and easiest method to build a camper in my opinion.

The weight savings using solid ply versus sandwich construction depends greatly on the thickness of plywoods used. A standard size teardrop would only be at best 70 pounds lighter using the lightest sandwich construction methods versus solid 3/4" plywood. Here is a link to Andrew's solid plywood versus sandwich construction weight estimates. http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/weight-est-data.pdf

So if weight is not an issue than you need to consider the value of the insulation. Sandwich does offer a higher R value, but not a hung amount. Also you need to have ventilation inside your trailer and I believe this eliminates the small increase in R value from the insulation. Using aluminum on the exterior will also greatly eliminate any radiant heat during the summer.

Long story short, if you want to camp this summer I would not build with sandwich construction.

My two cents,
Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby Fyddler » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks for the tips. My wife wrinkled her nose over the carpet idea but I think a rubber backed Burber would work well.

Fyddler
The 300 Club

Postby danlott » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:35 am

I really like the look of the hull liner. Here are some pictures of a another member's trailer.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby Fyddler » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:45 am

Yea, I agree, that looks sharp. Thanks!

Fyddler
The 300 Club

Postby Fyddler » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:47 am

My wife is a para educator, maybe we will have to call it the padded room... A place to take a time out and calm down!

Fyddler
The 300 Club

Postby Fyddler » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:58 am

Well after spending a couple hours and a couple bloody knuckles I got the rest of the old deck off and the axles off. 30 years was not kind to the leaf spring bushings and bolts... Nothing that a sledge hammer, and 2 beers didn't fix.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364104483.483134.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364104483.483134.jpg (24.29 KiB) Viewed 9911 times

Fyddler
The 300 Club

Postby Fyddler » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:32 pm

Well we got the trailer cut down this weekend, started to weld it up and ran out of Oxygen. Tore the springs apart and cleaned them up and painting.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364445033.655284.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364445033.655284.jpg (95.96 KiB) Viewed 9778 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364445050.454874.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364445050.454874.jpg (56.25 KiB) Viewed 9778 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364445062.637677.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364445062.637677.jpg (84.02 KiB) Viewed 9778 times

(Man this is thirsty work).

Plan on getting O2 Friday, so I can get the trailer welded up this weekend.

Fyddler
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:45 pm

Gas welding? Awesome! I would love to see a bead or two. It's been a long time since I did any serious oxy-acetylene welding... back when I welded the frame on my El Camino.

Will be watching your progress. :thumbsup:
Last edited by KCStudly on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Mines a perimeter frame, ring frame, 3/8 outside skinned in aluminum held on by trim, 1 1/2 styro and 1/8 paneling. No studs, just survived a cross country loaded to the hilt.
No racking, no movement, it 10 feet long, 6 feet high

Only framing is in the roof
Basically a battle ready foamy
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Next