1961 Apache Eagle + BONUS

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

1961 Apache Eagle + BONUS

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:08 am

I got a call from my Dad the other week, asking if I might be interested in an old pop-up camper that his Aunt and Uncle had. I had never really liked pop-ups because they're vacant of any type of style. But when he mentioned it was FREE, it peaked my interest. I figured that if it was an old ratty camper, I'd strip it down and just keep the frame for my next project.

So I was able to get a little more information over the phone. It was an Apache they bought new back in 1961. They were just looking to clear out their garage and wanted it to go to a good home. It hadn't been used in about 15 years, but they kept the registration current, and its been garage kept since they bought it. So this really got me interested. Well, this past weekend, we drove an hour and half to go check it out, with tools in hand.

Both tires were shot (no surprise there) but the hubs were still greased and rolled smoothly. Fortunately there was a Harbor Freight nearby and I was able to procure two new 8" wheels and tires for $25 each. After putting on the new wheels/tires, and replacing the old flat-4 connector, she was ready to see the light of day! We hitched her up and dragged her outside so we could open up the canvas.

I had visions of crumbling, moth-eaten canvas that would turn to powder as soon as we tried to open it. But I was amazed and pleasantly surprised at the pristine condition of the canvas! There is one small 2" tear in the bottom of one of the corners, but otherwise the canvas and screen windows are PERFECT!!

I'll probably be replacing the foam mattresses, and I need to clean and repack the bearings (although it did tow home without the hubs getting warm). I'll also need to figure out how to treat the canvas to waterproof it again. I'm even thinking of adding a simple electrical system so that I can have a radio and some LED lighting. I'm still trying to decide what to do with the outside - I can either just wash and wax it, or I spend a ton of time removing all the old stickers, and then buff and polish the aluminum to a shine. Can't wait to take this little thing camping! Its definitely so much sweeter than a typical pop-up camper!!

Found this advert online with some specs. I knew the thing was light... but ONLY 425lbs!! I really couldn't feel it at all behind the car!

As an added bonus, they had 2 lanterns sitting in the garage and they offered them to me. The one is a 1961 228E, which they said was purchased new with the trailer. The other is a 220F from 1971, which will need a full tear-down and rebuild. No pictures of those yet. There was also a Coleman 426 camp stove, but they wanted to check with their son first to see if he wanted it. If not, they're going to call me to come take it off their hands.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Re: 1961 Apache Eagle + BONUS

Postby TPMcGinty » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 am

You are so lucky! I want the Apache! I would have had a heart attack if someone told me I could have it for free.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Zollinger » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:06 am

:thumbsup: Awsome little pop up! It's RARE to find them in that kind of condition. I know what you mean about most pop ups having no style. In our house we call them "Dump Trailers" because that is usually what they turn into after a few years. Good score on the lanterns.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby campmaster-k » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:06 am

Cool stuff. Good move Zach.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby BillZ » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Nice score!
Check out Marine supply stores for canvas waterproofer. I used a good one for the top of a convertible that I had some years ago. I don't remember the name of it but it was in a blue and white spray bottle.
BillZ
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:47 pm

That's terrific, Zach! Congrats! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby wagondude » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:47 pm

That looks alot like the old trailer my Grandmother had. More tent trailer than popup, but very simple and they just worked. Makes one wonder why everyone seems to want everything so complicated these days. Great score.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby logman7777 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:32 pm

A couple cans of Scotch-guard should get that ol canvas watertight again. Great Find! :thumbsup:
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby mezmo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:55 am

Congrats on the good-camping-fortune from your relatives, Zach !

An Aunt and Uncle of mine had an Apache similar to that,
but I think theirs was a gold color on the base, anyway, they
were the first ones in the family to "camp" and that started
all the rest of the extended family to get into it too. We all
had some good times back then camping... and they and their
Apache tent trailer started it all.
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment