Gray Haired Sisterhood

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Re: Gray Haired Sisterhood

Postby Mary C » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:11 pm

I am really glad you bumped. The last time I colored my hair was before Thanksgiving, after Christmas I got it cut and well I have about two inches of color left to deal with After reading this in my reading marathon I thought I wouldn't color my hair. I have to get it cut soon so after that I will grace the forum with my picture. But I don't feel older I feel free of spending $ on my hair now it will be spent on my TD.

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jfocallag » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:52 pm

I started getting white hair when I was 15. Started coloring my hair when I was 20. Stopped coloring my hair when I was 37. Grew it out to about an inch of white then had it all cut off. One woman commented about my white hair and said that I would grow into it. I think I am there.

I just have to remember not to take my picture against a white background. I kind of fade into it. On moonlit nights, I glow in the dark.
jfocallag
Teardrop Builder

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:31 pm

I'm just starting to get a sprinkling of gray. I admire gray hair and will be happy when I have a full head of it. I think it's beautiful.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:49 pm

It's just to infinitely variable! I'm 54 and am about 3/4 grey/white. but others, like you Becky just have a little. And then there is the teardrop nanny with her beautiful mane of platinum.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:03 pm

:D Thank you for your kind compliment Deb, and yes, I LOVE the platinum status.
Wash, comb or brush it and an occasional trim and I am done! Always get a kick out of telling people who ask me about my color that my hair is "virgin"....no dye or perms ever. Last week while doing errands at the local mall four "strangers" made positive comments to me out of the blue about my color, and I usually get
1-2 remarks a week about it now.

And, I've been letting it grow out long for my Dam wedding cuz I want to have lots to work with. Look for me to have BIG hair and I've been busy culling out designs for my hairmaid to look out so we can practice on a fancy half- up-do. She's gonna practice on me next week to see what we can do with my do! :lol:

xoxo TDN :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby deleted » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:45 pm

I have greys but can't say I'm embracing them. Even though my hair is black I buy inexpensive, non-permanent home kits and go with a dark brown that ends up looking like I have highlights. Not sure when I'll be ready to go natural. My mom has beautiful silver/white hair. I guess someday I'll be ready, but not today :)
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Phooey » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:36 pm

If my hair would grow out and look as gorgeous as TDN or Debbie's I would do it. Unfortunately it has a more skunk meets calico cat look and not in a good way. I guess I will just keep seeing the other man in my life (Risto, the hairdresser) and be a phoney blonde for awhile longer.

:shock: :? :x
Phooey
Teardrop Master

Postby nevadatear » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:00 pm

Oh phooie i say phooey! I bet is not nearly as bad as you think;))
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Phooey » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:11 pm

Oh, it's bad. Risto gives me a discount just so I can keep it covered up. My Aunt Clara looked like a skunk too. It just doesn't look like anything found in nature unless its been run over. :thumbdown:
Phooey
Teardrop Master

Postby indycamper » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:28 pm

I started life as a red-head, and got my first grey hair about 16. By the time I was in my late 40s I was so grey that people thought I was blond! I tried coloring my hair a couple of times, but never liked the results - didn't really seem to go with my skin tones! Now I'm just a natural sort of white / grey / whatever. As I told my kids when they were young - it's always best to tell the truth. Guess that goes for my hair color too!
Sharon

I really need to re-retire one of these days.
indycamper
Teardrop Master

Postby Eunice » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:19 pm

I have been natural for several years now. It is starting to be salt and pepper. In the house, looking in the mirror it looks like a nice silver but outside in the sunlight it is an ugly gray. I dont like it at all but really dont want to dye it again. It grows too fast and I have to do it like every 3 weeks to avoid roots. what to do what to do
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby Mary C » Thu May 16, 2013 2:39 pm

104175104175 :frightened: It is grey with just a little blond on the tips.......... I don't know if I can live with it I will try till CRA.

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Eunice » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:50 pm

bump
hello ladies. Just wanted to check in. I am still around just haven't had time to post much. I haven't been out with the Hill House for quite some time. My mom is in hospice care and I sit with her every day. When I get home I am mentally and physically drained so I just go to bed. Not sure how much longer I will have my mother with me so I am not planning anything this summer. I will be with her as much as possible.

ps
still no dye and I seem to be getting more and more gray, not the pretty silver I thought I was getting :cry:
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Gray Haired Sisterhood

Postby nevadatear » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:50 pm

I was just thinking about bumping this! Eunice, maybe you need a different style to rock your silver a little? Have you tried the purple shampoo to brighten it? For anyone thinking silver there are several great, supportive Facebook pages out there, like Going Gloriously Grey.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby deleted » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Sorry to hear about your mom being in hospice Eunice :(

Well, I've made the leap and stopped coloring my hair. The last time I did was the first week of February. I'm at a point where I have enough to make a statement but not so much I'll end up with the dreaded "skunk stripe" as I grow it out. So far so good. Am planning to keep it long the entire time. Hoping to achieve this look someday.... So far everything is coming in bright, sparkling white.

And I need to go check out that Facebook group :thumbsup:

deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers