Do you need a sink?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Do you need a sink?

Postby david.misisco » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:52 pm

I'm new to Teardrops so forgive me for asking what might be a question well discussed elsewhere. What is the current thought on sinks. I see that some manufacturers include a sink and water source. Others leave it out. Teardrop trailers are kind of small. Is it that important to dedicate space to a sink and water tank? Not mention the gray water tank?
Last edited by david.misisco on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david.misisco
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Do you need a sink?

Postby Oldragbaggers » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:03 pm

Check out these two threads, both are recent and both address this question.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55050

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54606

I'm sure there are others but these two came to mind.

And WELCOME to the forum.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby david.misisco » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks Becky! I will check out your sources. Dave
david.misisco
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:28 pm

Teardrops can be as elaborate or as simple as you wish. One of the goals with ours was to make meal prep and clean up as easy as possible so that Nancy has a vacation. With the water heater, sink and cook top it takes no more time than at home. When we camp we want to do other things.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:44 am

I don't like washing dishes while camping, so I use paper plates, and disposable utensils, etc.
I keep having trouble trying to cook on my stove though with paper plates... :NC

I don't "need" a sink, but it makes washing pots and pans a lot easier for me. ;)

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Bogo » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:55 am

Currently I use three nesting dish pans, wash, rinse, and dry. Dry has a drying rack for it. Actually I have 4 dish pans I take camping, all Rubbermade and in 4 different colors. They all nest, then that stack fits in the pots and pans tote. I'm planning on hot and cold running water with gray and black water tanks for my TTT, but might not install it immediately. :thinking: I may even design in one of these (http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/portable-dishwasher.htm). ;) I'm no fan of doing dishes. Right now most of my cooking is done off the tailgate of my pickup or SUV. All food and dishes are stored there.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby Vindi_andy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:14 am

You dont NEED a sink but as has been said its your choice.

I am fitting one partly for convenience (you never know when you will actually need a sink) and partly because the setup came from the caravan we demolished to give us the chassis.

There are a couple of options as I see it.
1. Dont put a sink in
2. Use a plastic bowl and a water jug
3. put in a basic sink and use a water jug and an under trailer waste (gray) water tank
4. put in a sink with manual pump faucet and use an external water tank and an under trailer waste (gray) water tank
5. as above but use an electric faucet and use an external water tank with a submersible pump and an under trailer waste (gray) water tank ( what Im doing)
6. put in a sink with electric faucet and use an in board water tank and an in board waste (gray) water tank
7. Go the whole hog and put in in board water tanks and a water heater and sink etc.

There are probably a few options in there that I have missed but as has been said before the options really are as varied as the builder to a point.

I am using what I feel gives me the best fit in terms of creature comforts (running cold water) and ease of build and least space used and weight Im carrying ( the water tanks will be carried empty so large voume little weight ) But I will probably make a hinged lid that drops down over the sink and drainer to give counter top when needed like in commercial caravans.

The choice, as they say, is yours.
Boys never grow in to men the toys just get more expensive and more dangerous

How true :)
Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby david.misisco » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:38 am

Great advice. I'm not planning on building my own TD so it is more a question of do I look for a manufactured trailer with or without? Is is a key feature I need that determines which trailers go to me short list? Can the space occupied by a sink and the associated holding tanks be better utilized for other items? I can see merit in having available a reservoir of water, but do I need it? I can see both sides. Might make for a good polling question.
david.misisco
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:46 am

Don't let the sink affect your shopping !

It can always be added outboard and simply remove when traveling.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=43504&highlight=tables
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby david.misisco » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:24 am

Great idea! I love the crutch. :lol:
david.misisco
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asianflava » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:56 am

I originally wanted a sink, but the complexity and lack of real estate made me change the plan. I'm glad I did because I don't really need one. Like you, I use mostly disposable plates and silverware. For things that need to be cleaned, I either rinse them out and clean them when I get home, or I use a Coleman folding wash basin.

asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:20 am

david.misisco wrote:Great idea! I love the crutch. :lol:

What crutch that is a terrain adjustable support leg :rofl2:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Corwin C » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Instead of a sink, I'm planning on a large stainless mixing bowl ... I can put it on the camp chef and keep the dishwater hot.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:40 pm

I just wash up in my large (8qt) cook pot. I heat some water in it, add detergent and start in. I rinse in cold water in a plastic basin on the table. And I use a 4-gallon bucket for a "gray water" tank. I just carry it to where ever the campground want me to dispose of it.

A sink, especially one that could be covered, would be great, but it's way down on my list of projects/problems. I can't even figure out how to hang a side table off my teardrop. The place where a mounting track would have to go is behind the immovable, original ice box.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vindi_andy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:00 am

As I have said the main reasons im putting a sink in are:
A) it came with the donor vehicle
B) I know the management (wife) will find out down the line that she wants a sink and its easier to put it in during the build than trying to retrofit it.
Boys never grow in to men the toys just get more expensive and more dangerous

How true :)
Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets