Vintage wall mounted lantern

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Vintage wall mounted lantern

Postby davidniebeling » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:13 am

Hey All, I just went and stripped out a camper today. It was from the late 60' or early 70's. I got 7 great windows and a bunch of aluminum trim and hardware ect. but one of the coolest items I saved from the "recyclers" was this vintage wall mounted propaine lantern. I have a few questions about it that I hope someone can answer for me:
1. Is it old/rare/unusual or are these still commonly available.
2. If I clean it up and restore it, is it still usable. Also any restoration info would be helpful.
3. Is it safe to use. It says approved for indoor use, but what about inside a cabin that is only 6'x8'x5'.
4. Would this work if I plumbed it to a 1# Coleman propaine bottle as I will not have a full propaine "system" in my trailer.
Any other thoughts or comments you have would be very helpful. I just love the shape of the globe and the sort of "art deco" look of it.
Here is a link to a few pics of it. Sorry about sending you to youtube for the pics. I really gotta learn how to post pics here directly!!!
Thanks again, Dave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erfsyekx ... e=youtu.be
davidniebeling
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Vintage wall mounted lantern

Postby Zollinger » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:13 am

davidniebeling wrote:Hey All, I just went and stripped out a camper today. It was from the late 60' or early 70's. I got 7 great windows and a bunch of aluminum trim and hardware ect. but one of the coolest items I saved from the "recyclers" was this vintage wall mounted propaine lantern. I have a few questions about it that I hope someone can answer for me:
1. Is it old/rare/unusual or are these still commonly available.
2. If I clean it up and restore it, is it still usable. Also any restoration info would be helpful.
3. Is it safe to use. It says approved for indoor use, but what about inside a cabin that is only 6'x8'x5'.
4. Would this work if I plumbed it to a 1# Coleman propaine bottle as I will not have a full propaine "system" in my trailer.
Any other thoughts or comments you have would be very helpful. I just love the shape of the globe and the sort of "art deco" look of it.
Here is a link to a few pics of it. Sorry about sending you to youtube for the pics. I really gotta learn how to post pics here directly!!!
Thanks again, Dave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erfsyekx ... e=youtu.be

Welcome to the Vintage Camping Section! To answer your questions.... #1 they were common during the 60's and 70's. #2 I'm sure it can be usable if cleaned up and restored. #3 Is it safe? Yes and no. A couple of things to be concerned about IF you choose to use it. They do put out A LOT of heat and well as harsh bright light. They also eat A LOT of oxygen and put out A LOT of Co2. They also WILL put out a lot of soot. Make sure that you keep a window open when using it. That being said.... we have used the one in our '61 Shasta once or twice. It was not worth the hassle to us. They look neat, that's why we kept it in the Shasta after we restored her. #4 Sorry I don't know the answer that one.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby davidniebeling » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Thanks Dawn for all that great info. I guess I'm leaning away from using it as I am worried about the safety of using it in such a small cabin. If anyone is interested in it let me know.
davidniebeling
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:16 am

Many times, the wall looks like the following pic when you remove a Humphries lamp. They have been known to light up a trailer a little bit too much. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby davidniebeling » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:20 am

It's funny, that picture could be from the camper I took the lamp out of. The looked just like that. That's why I was worried!
davidniebeling
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment