New bike

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

New bike

Postby Fenlason » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:00 am

We generally like to save our nice bikes for better weather. Which either means no riding in less favorable conditions, or our option, multiple bikes. :D Like right now.. there is still a bit of sand and salt around from winter.. and it is raining fairly heavy out. I would prefer not take our good bikes out in this.

Often when one gets a new bike, their old one is relegated to sloppy weather riding. Well until the last year or so.. All our road riding has been on a tandem. This means my wife's old bike is a on downtube shifted Bianchi with a 6 speed cassette on it.
We just ordered her a Specialized Allez Comp. It is a mostly 105 10sp bike. Her biggest issue with the old bike was the downtube shifters.. and limited gearing. It will still get some use, but this should be a sweet transition bike for her. :D

I have also gotten my new rear wheel for the Moonlander. My "problem" with the stock one is the freehub. I broke a couple of them on my stock Pugsley. I wanted to be proactive on this bike, so I replaced it. The hub would have been more than adequate for snow riding.. and maybe most normal riding. On our own trails we have some beastly steep hills .. and this bike has monster traction, the taller wheel, and low gearing.. I am sure I would brake it. What hurts.. is this new wheel, is cost more than half, of Laurie's new bike cost. :o :shock: :shock: :shrug:

I did just sell one of the stock cranks and wheels off our Pugs, to help fund it though. :)

I did also just order a new pair of Roval wheels for my road bike. I purchased a new Roubaix a year or so ago. I broke a couple of spokes on it, we contacted Specialized about getting more spokes... and they said they had had some problems with those spokes and sent me new wheels. [they have an awesome warranty] I am not often that style conscious.. but the new wheels did not look quite as nice, on this bike as the stock ones. The bike is mostly black.. with a little blue, and the new wheels had a lot of white on them. The replacement wheels will however look awesome on my wife's Amira.. which is black with white and blue. Her bike could really benefit from a wheel upgrade, so she gets the replacement wheels and I get new ones. I spent a bit of time trying to figure out what I wanted. I ended up choosing a yet newer version of that same wheel.. black and charcoal. :)
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Re: New bike

Postby Fenlason » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:01 am

Laurie's new bike.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby asianflava » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:45 am

Nice bike! Now if the weather will cooperate 2-3in last night and we're supposed to get more.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby kirkman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:53 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beer:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:24 pm

asianflava wrote:Nice bike! Now if the weather will cooperate 2-3in last night and we're supposed to get more.

We will often get some snow in April. so far we have been lucky.. :worship: maybe we will get by this year. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:08 am

Fenlason wrote:
asianflava wrote:Nice bike! Now if the weather will cooperate 2-3in last night and we're supposed to get more.

We will often get some snow in April. so far we have been lucky.. :worship: maybe we will get by this year. :D

I spoke too soon... :o :shrug:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Roo Dog » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:38 am

Fenlason,

Lovely bike.
I miss having a treadly about the shop, especially a nice bike like that but the days of freighting my ass about the countryside on a bike are finished, mores the pity.
The knees are u/s, nothing a grease nipple in each knee cap wouldn't fix. Cannot find a doc to do it.

Enjoy.

RD
Lets do a three sixty and get out of here !
Roo Dog
Silver Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:48 am

Fenlason wrote:
Fenlason wrote:

No kidding, I thought the last snowstorm we had was the last, but I just saw on the news that we are getting more snow. :thumbdown:
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am

Roo Dog wrote:Fenlason,

Lovely bike.
I miss having a treadly about the shop, especially a nice bike like that but the days of freighting my ass about the countryside on a bike are finished, mores the pity.
The knees are u/s, nothing a grease nipple in each knee cap wouldn't fix. Cannot find a doc to do it.

Enjoy.

RD

I bet someone here could help you with that.. 8) 8) :lol:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:35 am

asianflava wrote:
Fenlason wrote:
Fenlason wrote:

No kidding, I thought the last snowstorm we had was the last, but I just saw on the news that we are getting more snow. :thumbdown:

We faired better than they said we might. Perhaps only an inch. It is still sort of misty out now. This has been kind of a cold wet week.
Of course today is so sloppy out, Laurie won't want to take out her new "sloppy" weather bike. :lol:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Return to Bicycles