anybody else here trying to sell a house?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: anybody else here trying to sell a house?

Postby rowerwet » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:33 am

the area my house is in has many houses for sale, I just got lucky, the woman buying it grew up two houses over and has family just down the road, otherwise I don't think she would be buying mine. The only houses moving in my area are the foreclosed/short-sales, unless you're in the large land/super nice house market.
I don't put much stock in the investors, they also keep buying stock and ignoring the big issues facing our economy. The fact that we have about as much debt as our yearly gross domestic product (the amount of money our whole economy is worth), the average citizen has seen a 40% drop in their total worth, total un/under-employment is still in the high teens (not the monkeyed with number that only counts those who can collect unemployment checks, and sometimes skips reporting certain states). If our credit is downgraded this year as most expect our national debt credit amount goes up from 1% and the amount of the US taxes just going to paying the interest is high. There is no way to escape the spiral at this point, just look at all the yelling and screaming about a 3% cut to spending. considering we are borrowing 40% of the money we spend each year we are doomed, maybe not this year though, so the investors keep shuffling the titanic deck chairs a little longer.
You've got to remember wild investors, aided by insane government/banking regulations, ran up the housing bubble that caused the last big crash. (and many more before that) Just 'cause they have or can borrow money doesn't mean they know anything! Plenty of them lost their shirt and credit last time (stupidly bailed out by the tax payers in many cases) "A fool and his money are soon parted", unfortunately, now they just run to DC (bigger collection of fools) and get out of the problem...
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:50 am

rowerwet wrote:the area my house is in has many houses for sale, I just got lucky, the woman buying it grew up two houses over and has family just down the road, otherwise I don't think she would be buying mine. The only houses moving in my area are the foreclosed/short-sales, unless you're in the large land/super nice house market.
I don't put much stock in the investors, they also keep buying stock and ignoring the big issues facing our economy. The fact that we have about as much debt as our yearly gross domestic product (the amount of money our whole economy is worth), the average citizen has seen a 40% drop in their total worth, total un/under-employment is still in the high teens (not the monkeyed with number that only counts those who can collect unemployment checks, and sometimes skips reporting certain states). If our credit is downgraded this year as most expect our national debt credit amount goes up from 1% and the amount of the US taxes just going to paying the interest is high. There is no way to escape the spiral at this point, just look at all the yelling and screaming about a 3% cut to spending. considering we are borrowing 40% of the money we spend each year we are doomed, maybe not this year though, so the investors keep shuffling the titanic deck chairs a little longer.
You've got to remember wild investors, aided by insane government/banking regulations, ran up the housing bubble that caused the last big crash. (and many more before that) Just 'cause they have or can borrow money doesn't mean they know anything! Plenty of them lost their shirt and credit last time (stupidly bailed out by the tax payers in many cases) "A fool and his money are soon parted", unfortunately, now they just run to DC (bigger collection of fools) and get out of the problem...

The only thing I've ever gotten from the "bailout/stimulus" programs is some cheap parts for my van. Someone "cash for clunkers" a van just like mine. I got the ABS unit and some upholstery that I needed for a good price. The only folks that benefit, IMHO, from the government bailouts are the ones that have spent money they don't have (just like our legislators are doing).

A house is not an investment that you cash in on. You don't refinance for a new car, vacation, or whatever. You shop and find a house that you can afford and make the payments as agreed. Eventually you'll own the house. If you pull out your equity, you are gambling and the "house" usually win's not the gambler. $hit sometimes happens and one can't make the payments as agreed. That's just the way life works sometimes. You gotta "deal with it", pull yourself up by your bootstraps, and start over. When I once was unemployed, we rented out our house and rented at townhome for less. The only difference my being unemployed meant, because of our austerity measures, was how much we put into our savings account each month. Granted we were lucky and my wife worked.

Things will eventually get better but they will get better sooner for those that go with the flow, adapt to the new realities, and evolve with the times.

More "World According to Gus".

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:34 am

eamarquardt wrote:
rowerwet wrote:the area my house is in has many houses for sale, I just got lucky, the woman buying it grew up two houses over and has family just down the road, otherwise I don't think she would be buying mine. The only houses moving in my area are the foreclosed/short-sales, unless you're in the large land/super nice house market.

The only thing I've ever gotten from the "bailout/stimulus" programs is some cheap parts for my van. Someone "cash for clunkers" a van just like mine. I got the ABS unit and some upholstery that I needed for a good price. The only folks that benefit, IMHO, from the government bailouts are the ones that have spent money they don't have (just like our legislators are doing).

A house is not an investment that you cash in on. You don't refinance for a new car, vacation, or whatever. You shop and find a house that you can afford and make the payments as agreed. Eventually you'll own the house. If you pull out your equity, you are gambling and the "house" usually win's not the gambler. $hit sometimes happens and one can't make the payments as agreed. That's just the way life works sometimes. You gotta "deal with it", pull yourself up by your bootstraps, and start over. When I once was unemployed, we rented out our house and rented at townhome for less. The only difference my being unemployed meant, because of our austerity measures, was how much we put into our savings account each month. Granted we were lucky and my wife worked.

Things will eventually get better but they will get better sooner for those that go with the flow, adapt to the new realities, and evolve with the times.

Gus

:thumbsup:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:27 am

Fenlason wrote:
eamarquardt wrote:

Gus

:thumbsup:

+1 .....Up here, in No. Cal, I was surprised to see three new houses being built about 1 mile from me. Let's hope the economy continues to get better.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Visionsbydarrah » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:08 pm

Slow,
Yes sometimes having to move is the best we can do to make life work for us.
And I've found that change can be good.
So good luck and try to enjoy this crazy ride we call life. :thumbsup:
Pat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser.
2015 LittleGuy MyPod.
My YouTube Channel: https://m.youtube.com/user/TheVisionsbydarrah
Visionsbydarrah
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:02 pm

well it finally sold, the night before the closing, we got a form from the state of ME, giving us the chance to prove they didn't get to keep a couple percent of the sale :shock: called my sister the CPA, we had no gain on the house and it was our primary residence for at least two of the last five years :thumbsup:
of course they still held the money for a few days until somebody approved it. made me feel like the suckers who get excited about a tax return... :lol:
now to stock up on precious metals, lead and copper :NC
Last edited by rowerwet on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:34 pm

rowerwet wrote:well it finally sold, the night before the closing, we got a form from the state of ME, giving us the chance to prove they didn't get to keep a couple percent of the sale :shock: called my sister the CPA, we had no gain on the house and it was our primary residence for at least two of the last five years :thumbsup:
of course they still held the money for a few days until somebody approved it. made me feel like the suckers who get excited about a tax return... :lol:
now to stock up on precious metals before the gun grabbers take them all away :NC

congratulations.. :thumbsup:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby jeff0520 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:15 pm

We'd love to move to someplace where Laurie could find a good job, but in the current conditions we know better. In our neighborhood it's been 8 years since a house sold as anything other than a foreclosure auction. The last 3 that sold went for around $12,000. Funny, the property tax assesor still claims fair market value for our place is $53,000. To that I say "SOLD! When can we close this deal?"
Hypno-Toad's Command Post, the build thread! http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50384

jeff0520
The 300 Club

Postby rowerwet » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:39 pm

I could say "hope and change" but that might offend some people...
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby myoung » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Cheap money has been responsible in large part for the uptick in home sales...and the increase in prices...and the number and frequency of overbids lately.

If you are willing to finance with an ARM, Wells Fargo is offering loans at 1.75% for 5 years and 2.75% for 10 years. That's a no-brainer for anyone with even a modest return on other investable capital. No reason to dip into savings when the banks are giving the stuff away...and the Fed is inflating the currency and devaluing the dollar.

Oh, it also helps to be in a place in which people wish to live. I noticed that Maine just joined the tiny group of states that is a net loser of population. That can't help home demand.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby dustboy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:01 am

I stumbled across this thread, I thought it would be interesting to dredge it up to see how things have changed.

In 2012 we sold our house in Oakland, and took a pretty good bath. At least we didn't have to foreclose like a lot of folks.

Now we are trying to buy a house, and we can't. It's insane out here in the SF Bay. My brother listed his 3/1.5 in a bad neighborhood of Oakland for $479k, it sold in a week for $578k with 5 offers. We made an offer on a house, at $32k over the asking price, and it sold for almost $600k with 31 offers! :?

We would buy a fixer, but they all sell to flippers for cash.
dustboy
Teardrop Master

Postby Catherine+twins » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:30 pm

I suggested to my 13-yo kids that, now that they are no longer in the grade school down the street, we could sell our 1200 sq ft house and buy a bigger one closer to their grandfather. Nope. This is OUR house. Just as well. I bought this place 25 years ago for $205K, and could only sell it for $215k now (although granted, I have $180k equity). The houses in Grandpa's neighborhood start at $300k, and Grandpa's house itself is closer to $800k (half an acre, canyon lot, unobstructed views of the valley and mountains on the other side, these things are important in a mountain-side community).

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Off Topic