1 lb propane bottle debate revisited

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: 1 lb propane bottle debate revisited

Postby Vedette » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:17 am

Good Idea!
And now that I have gone back to the picture I can see that.
Light weight and inexpensive storage!! :thumbsup:
Brian
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby markhusbands » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:11 pm

The economy issue is legitimate, but for 20 bucks I can get a fitting to refill the disposable canisters and obviate that drawback. And, if you ever run out while you're on the road, you just buy a couple more disposables, use them on the trip, and retire the oldest in your disposable fleet after the trip. That's my plan anyway.

I'm just trying to figure out what hardware store fittings I need to make a homemade version of the Coleman Gemini. Can't be that hard...

http://www.coleman.com/product/geminitr ... WBzaqLvvTo
markhusbands
Teardrop Master

Postby Corwin C » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:05 am

Personally, I use the 20# tanks because there's a manual positive shutoff valve (no leaks), the economy of refilling the tank rather then discarding the bottles ($$$), and my trailer serves as a "bug out" resource. In case of a bug out, with two 20# tanks on my TTT, I'm prepared for over a week of judicious use even running the furnace, without the furnace more than a month wouldn't be difficult to achieve. Another nice fact is that propane doesn't go bad over time, so it's always ready.

When I get a tear built, if there's not room for the 20# I'll most likely use a 10# or even a 5#. I have tried re-filling the 1# bottles (actually illegal to do) with poor success. The valves in a 1# bottle are just too cheaply built to be reliable and in many cases, the appliance valves that these bottles fit aren't much better so leaving the bottle attached doesn't necessarily help.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:32 pm

So would one of you folks who are successfully refilling 1lb bottles please weigh a 1 lb bottle before and after and post exactly how much propane you are putting in the 1 lb bottle. Please.

I was told that using modern (OPD equipped) tanks, that you can't actually transfer liquid from large tank to small, but my source has been wrong before.

Also where do you get the tool to open the vent side of the 1 lb cans? Just like when they fill your 20 lb tank at the propane service, the tank has to be vented to allow liquid to flow from the large to small tank.

Thanks,

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Treeview » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:29 pm

There are several posts on how to refill one pounders here:

http://www.instructables.com/

This is the most informative article that I've found:

http://www.neon-john.net/RV/Propane/Propane_index.htm

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby GerryS » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:36 pm

How do Overflow protection valves affect refilling?
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:19 pm

IF you are talking about refilling a large tank.....There is a float and valve assembly inside tank that limits a 5 gallon (potential) capacity cylinder to maximum 4.7 gallons .... As the level of liquid propane reached maximum allowable level it lifts the float and closes inlet valve... Pretty much like the "float" valve in standard toilet tank....

IF you are refilling small cylinder from a "bulk" tank, to get liquid you have to invert bulk tank so liquid is available at tank outlet (inlet) with tank upside down (inverted) the OPD valve should not effect flow.... With tank right side up all you get is a equalization of pressure and vapor in two tanks, you get no liquid transfer... Where the volume in refilling tank comes to play is how much actual liquid is in tank that can boil off (vaporize) into vapor (gaseous state)....

Also OPD valve have a anti free flow valve in POL connector...If shout on connector (regulator or filler device) is not fully seated in tank valve body, there will not be any propane flow.....

Further reading...

http://www.propane101.com/opdcylindervalves.htm

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CARS » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:20 am

A few years ago my dad volunteered to refill my 1lb cylinders. The issue I noticed is that my dad filled off his 1000 lb home tank and the gas smelled of that "rotten eggs" additive they add to let you know you have a leak or failure in your home. I've never noticed that before when I bought the factory filled cylinders or 20lb gas grill cylinders.

But then, maybe it was me. Ever since I started using my pellet grill and charcoal again on camping trips, I can't stand the taste of gas grilled meats.
Chris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

CARS
The 300 Club

Postby parnold » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:47 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:So would one of you folks who are successfully refilling 1lb bottles please weigh a 1 lb bottle before and after and post exactly how much propane you are putting in the 1 lb bottle. Please.

I was told that using modern (OPD equipped) tanks, that you can't actually transfer liquid from large tank to small, but my source has been wrong before.

Also where do you get the tool to open the vent side of the 1 lb cans? Just like when they fill your 20 lb tank at the propane service, the tank has to be vented to allow liquid to flow from the large to small tank.

Thanks,

<Chas>

I have filled numerous tanks, but only weigh them and leave them outside for a couple days to make sure they are not leaking before storing them. I weigh them to an accuracy of 1/10 of a gram. I do not vent them when filling, I fill just like I used to fill paintball gun co@ tanks. I put some gas in them (my filling 20lb tank is upside down so I get liquid not gas), then let some of the gas escape. Letting some gas escape chills the bottles and allows you to get more gas in them. The next time I have an empty, I'll weigh before and after.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby jjjonz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:59 pm

I have been refilling 1lb propane bottles for years.Here is a good simple video showing you how.I leave my bottles in the freezer a hour or so before refilling...,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q2Jhbbmnos
jjjonz
Teardrop Master

Postby Dale M. » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:30 pm

CARS wrote:A few years ago my dad volunteered to refill my 1lb cylinders. The issue I noticed is that my dad filled off his 1000 lb home tank and the gas smelled of that "rotten eggs" additive they add to let you know you have a leak or failure in your home. I've never noticed that before when I bought the factory filled cylinders or 20lb gas grill cylinders.

But then, maybe it was me. Ever since I started using my pellet grill and charcoal again on camping trips, I can't stand the taste of gas grilled meats.

The odor is from, a odorant called Ethyl Mercaptan..... And almost all domestic propane contain it .... From #1 bottles to large commercial bulk 10,000 gallon storage...

A while back there was a recall because a batch of #1 bottle got through the filling process that was NOT odorized....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:25 am

OK, well I've got an empty 1# can now, and a friend has the adapter. Here we go with a test 8)

Thanks for the info, there's so much contradictory, and often wrong, info that it's hard to figure out sometimes. I'll pass this stuff on to the guy who told me it can't be done -- after I refill a 1# can :)

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby cleonard » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:27 pm

A couple of points on refilling.

As previously mentioned the valves in the disposables are not the best. Eventually they start leaking.

Don't overfill. There has to be room for expansion due to temperature changes. The only way to do this for sure is by weight.
cleonard
Teardrop Builder

Postby parnold » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:46 pm

As an added precaution, besides weighing mine, and leaving them outdoors for a couple days until I know they aren't leaking by weighing again, I also bought special brass caps with gaskets, so even if the valves do fail, they still won't fill my trailer up with propane. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I figure the couple extra bucks I spent on the caps has already been offset by the savings of having filled them myself twice now.
parnold
Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion