Coleman Kerosene Lanterns, opinions and advice wanted

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Coleman Kerosene Lanterns, opinions and advice wanted

Postby scottinwv » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:36 pm

I'm considering buying a new Coleman kerosene lantern. I currently have a propane Coleman and a Dual Fuel Coleman. I've been considering getting the kerosene lantern for more flexibility in case Coleman fuel, propane or unleaded is not available. I've seen posts on here recommending against using unleaded in the Dual Fuels due to varnish build-up, etc.. Would the kerosene lantern require any additional maintenance than a lantern burning Coleman fuel?

Thanks for all replies,

Scott
scottinwv
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Coleman Kerosene Lanterns, opinions and advice wanted

Postby Weirdnerd » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:21 am

The only maintenance you would need to do is to clean the generators more often, they get carbon/soot deposits after a while and empty the fount regularly to remove any water ( more so than the ones that use regular Coleman Fuel).

They are no different, they only require a preheat to start, there is no "instant start".

The pro's are: Kerosene is quite cheaper than CF, and the price difference will offset the extra expense of having to buy generators (which can last hundreds of hours). they are as bright as any other non kerosene model.
Con's: you will have to clean them more often. and you will have to carry a little bottle with Denatured alcohol for preheat.

PS, if you use them with Jet A ( jet fuel) they will run cleaner, and will not stink too much while start and shut down, as well as not leaving oily residue if you spill some, it evaporates.
This is my build thread...
Weirdnerd's teardrop
Weirdnerd
The 300 Club

Postby trccc » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:57 am

I can't comment on the kerosene use. But I will offer that I have never had a problem finding Coleman fuel or a variant off brand. It seems like every camp store carries it. (Maybe not at a price you like!) And the typical can lasts quite a long time in both the stove & the lantern. (One fuel for both makes it easy too!) So I've stuck with the traditional Coleman fuel lanterns and avoided the associated issues of unleaded or kerosene.
trccc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby scottinwv » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:43 am

Thanks for the replies.

I think I might go ahead and get one. I always have kerosene on hand, especially in the winter in case the power is out and I need to use a kerosene heater.

My concern was the extra maintenance, but it doesn't sound like it's a real downside.

Thanks again,

Scott
scottinwv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kevin & Sandy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:03 pm

Scott,

I did a Google search on how to convert a regular white gas 220 to kerosene and it looked simple. I have not done this myself, but I was wondering if anyone has?

220's are cheap and plentiful, might be a good way to see if that is what you like.

Kevin
Kevin & Sandy
The 300 Club

Postby Weirdnerd » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:23 pm

Sometimes converting a lantern is more difficult than what seems to be, generator, air/fuel ratio, etc.... it is better to get one that actually was designed to burn Kerosene from the start, it will save you time and headaches.

You can get new kerosene lanterns for a decent price that will last a long time, and will not make you pull your hair out.

85 bucks and free shipping?... cheaper than the time and money to modify one.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-639C700-1 ... n+kerosene

This is my build thread...
Weirdnerd's teardrop
Weirdnerd
The 300 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:23 am

I have one of those new production Coleman kerosene lanterns and it is a beauty. I highly recommend it. Get some mantels for it also as they are hard to find at stores. I get most of mine from Oldcolemanparts. Get the Peerless brand and don't eat/breath the ash. They are probably slightly radioactive. I have converted a 220E and it is a nice burner. I made the generator for it and I can clean it out when needed. I have also converted a 200A with proper Coleman parts but it is the smelliest of the Kerosene lanterns I have. Most people have different experiences with the 200A and love their conversions. I also have a Tilley from England and a Petromax clone made somewhere. It does not say where. Both of these are wonderful burners once you get to know them. I would like to get my hands on some Jet A.

You will probably like the new Coleman. Finding a used Coleman kerosene is difficult.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:I would like to get my hands on some Jet A.

Go to any airport that has fuel (not all of them do) ... small ones seem to be more helpful and accommodating. I used to put av-gas in my motorcycle and lawn/yard equipment (cleaner & more power).
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Corwin C wrote:
Wolffarmer wrote:I would like to get my hands on some Jet A.

Go to any airport that has fuel (not all of them do) ... small ones seem to be more helpful and accommodating. I used to put av-gas in my motorcycle and lawn/yard equipment (cleaner & more power).
And you can be sure AV gas does not have alcohol in it. And other such additives.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment