Cook offs. Sometimes I dont get it.

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Re: Cook offs. Sometimes I dont get it.

Postby campmaster-k » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:53 am

The Teardrop Nanny wrote:CMK- when you cook for that big of a crowd, especially that FABuLous menu, you already are a winner! The cost of the food is great, and usually the prize $$purse can't even come close to meeting the cost of the groceries, so you are ALSO doing it for fun and pay it forward. You will most likely entice some folks to take up DO cooking, so you have another brownie point from me for that! :D

The funny thing is we never get anything to eat at the cookoffs! We work hard and serve and everybody runs out of food before we get any. We went out and got hamburgers and fries after the cookoff.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:44 pm

I get what you're saying Kirk...but sometimes, it's about being different as well. Chances are, no one has ever done that at a cook off and the judges may have been more excited about something that was very different. I created a stir at the local county fair in woodworking by using an Incra Jig and making up some jewelry boxes. The usual winner was really upset since his typical entry, (wooden heavy equipment models) went unnoticed that year. I just think they were happy to see something different. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby campmaster-k » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:27 pm

doug hodder wrote:I get what you're saying Kirk...but sometimes, it's about being different as well. Chances are, no one has ever done that at a cook off and the judges may have been more excited about something that was very different. I created a stir at the local county fair in woodworking by using an Incra Jig and making up some jewelry boxes. The usual winner was really upset since his typical entry, (wooden heavy equipment models) went unnoticed that year. I just think they were happy to see something different. Doug

You are right Doug. Its me that has to adjust. But just chewing on sour grapes till that happens.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby warnmar10 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:37 pm

campmaster-k wrote:You are right Doug. Its me that has to adjust. But just chewing on sour grapes till that happens.
FWIW, I'm inclined to call BS on the tuna prep. You can sear tuna on about any surface, cast iron or not. Could you sear your tuna on a DO lid and still call that DO cooking?

Maybe next time you could use your DO to boil water for hot chocolate or ramen noodles... or Jello.
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift
warnmar10
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Cast Iron