Tools to take Camping....

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: Tools to take Camping....

Postby Backroads4me » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:48 pm

I read through the this thread, and I don't think anyone else mentioned:

Magnesium firestarter.
Tick puller (for both people and dogs)---Petco sells one with a hole in the end, I keep one on my key chain.
A few zip ties.
I never go anywhere without my trusty old P-38 (also on the keychain).

Deb
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Desert-rat » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:36 am

folding shovel
long screwdriver
basic set of sockets and wrench (always in the car, never know when a battery cable might wiggle loose on those boonie roads)
Pair of Pantyhose (can become a makeshift belt)
Good knife
Desert-rat
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:58 pm

slowcowboy wrote:heee! thinking back on walk the winds 2012 last year and a very interesting photo of me someone took at moring breakfast saturday moring.

a ELECTRIC fly swatter!

slow

Mike, my camping buddies laughed when I had my electric (battery powered) fly-swatter by my chair. Killed many a horse fly! Now they love when I give them out as welcome gifts! :yes:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:01 pm

Hate horse flies. good idea.

I just remembered the "Ultimate Auto repair tool" The title. If it breaks down so bad, sell it and get a bus ticket home.

:D

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:45 pm

Propane bottles, acetylene bottles, oxygen bottles=12 inch crescent.
Now we get into a fight about the best wrench for this job. I won't fight, a good 12 inch works and I don't have to remember the size of open end wrench to grab. And those can round off the shoulders if the wrench is of low quality and not used properly. And I have found that in some cases an adjustable wrench works much better than an open end. Like taking birdies out of sprinklers. A 15 inch is just the ticket. The jaws are thicker and usually works better on the soft brass than a thin jawed open end wench. Oh my did I ever get away from "What tools to take camping" Phooey, just be sure to take the one between your ears and you should do ok. and better than some

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:08 am

All this talk about tools. I ran across this today. Takes me back to my high school days back in the 60s

Correct tool usage

Even today when I see someone ( even me ) miss use a tool I mentally call them "Primitive Pete".

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Re:

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:23 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:I carry a tool kit I put together and it stays in my camper.

I've added a couple of things to the tool kit and upgraded to a hard plastic tool box. I think I like the bag style better for storing.

I also carry rope, electrical and pipe tape.

The duct tape came in very handy when I had a blowout (helped cover the gaping hole under the sink cabinet). I keep a couple of good flashlights in the camper.

I love my adjustable wrench (which isn't pictured in here)! Don't need to worry about 10" or 12" - works on anything!
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:Even today when I see someone ( even me ) miss use a tool I mentally call them "Primitive Pete".

Small world. I too remember this movie (when I saw it it was projected from film onto a screen, so not a video).

For many years I kept an old Stanley flat blade screwdriver in my tool bag as a "beater". It was specifically designated as the "use it for anything" tool. Prying, wedging, chiseling, anything goes. It had been ground back so many times that it was a mere shadow of its former self and could no longer be used for screws. The shank was just a tad bent, perfect for prying really, but the handle was still in tact, complete with rubber grip over yellow plastic handle, despite years of hammering on the end of it. I even used it as a wedge to stop the rope bundle frame on Mr. B from being winched too far forward during erection (more properly described as "deployment"). Unfortunately I loaned it out at work and it never came back to me. One of my best and most used tools... sorely missed. :( (Update 9/14 - Found my old screwdriver in a coworkers tool bag and promptly stole it back!!!).

Hey, I have been complimented on my technique of properly using and adjustable wrench as a hammer; you just have to know where to hit it on the back of the fixed jaw so as not to damage the edges of the screw thread hole. :D I am, after all, a professional mechanic.

My Ford wrench (bonnet wrench) that was probably my grandfather's at one time, came back to me with a chip in the jaw and a bend in the handle after loaning it out at Dale's place. Damn monkeys. That wrench was probably a hundred years old and they abused it with a pipe on the handle and poor fitting. Bastardos.
Last edited by KCStudly on Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ladyliz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:31 pm

Other tools... We take a "Fireside Friend" for splitting wood. Comes in real handy! We have not finished our trailer so we still tent it and use inflatable mattresses. For that we use a plug-in inflator running off an inverter for the initial fill up. And we use a hand pump to top off the mattress right before bed.
ladyliz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lrrowe » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:47 pm

Here is a product that might be worth putting in your tool box. I bought a spool of it to try, but cannot yet report on it. The negative reviews in Amazon seems to be mostly from users who used in on water pipes, etc. Just maybe it might work on one of your outings.

http://www.fiberfix.com
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Java Jack » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:25 pm

Sears had a multipiece set on sale last year on Black Friday. It was about $30 off regular price ($99). It was similar to this one...

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-192- ... ockType=G7

It has sockets/ratchets/extensions, open/box wrenches, nutdriver/screwdriver, hammer, allen wrenches, pretty much any tool I would need to fix anything in a fairly compact carrier. It would fit under the back seat of my extended cab truck without issue. It was about 3" tall thick or so, 2 feet tall and 1 foot wide (about those dimensions). Add some pliers, hatchet, zip ties, duct tape and you are in pretty good shape I suspect.

I will probably pick up a similar set this year on black friday to keep in our TD once we get it. I hate being stranded without tools.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Regards,
Java
Proud Owner of a CampInn 560 Ultra
Blog: http://cre8tiveapps.blogspot.com/
Video: https://youtu.be/TLLFt3vzFoA
Sill Images: http://imgur.com/a/EE0zC#0
Java Jack
Teardrop Master

Postby drjenk » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:00 am

This is a very informative thread, thanks
drjenk
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Catherine+twins » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:25 pm

I just bought a multi-pack of this stuff. It looks like a toolbox shmoo (yeah, Goggle it), anything you need it to be. I'll let you know if it is of any use. :D

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/st ... with-sugru

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00EU7DBNM/r ... 2HUUQ5PJB0

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby 39Ratrod » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:19 pm

I am also a big fan of bringing cordless drills and some misc. screws. I also have a matching reciprocating saw that makes firewood gathering a breeze. They share the same battery pack of which I have 3.
The biggest difference between a dreamer and a doer is the follow through.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:28 pm

The cordless recipicating saw is another good idea. The last thing I want to drag along with me is a chain saw. The only exception to this would be an electric saw used with a generator when shore power is not available.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets