new stoves

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

new stoves

Postby jjvw » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:22 pm

Last year we had a car fire which destroyed 50 years of accumulated camping equipment. The two replacements for the coleman stoves, 414 and 428 work like crap. The 2 burner will not hold a blue flame except when simmering and the 3 burner doesn't hold pressure past 15-20 pumps. The factory has sent a new pump for the 428, but it to doesn't hold pressure either. It never pumps up hard to where you can't pump it anymore. I think the tank has an oversized pump housing, but coleman said no and won't send another. My supply of pump leather was destroyed too, or I would try those. Are newer models compromised by mandatory safety improvements or can they be fixed? Any place you can get pump leathers?
jjvw
Teardrop Builder

Re: new stoves

Postby doug hodder » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 pm

If they don't hold pressure, you've got a bad cap gasket, if it's raw fuel dripping out the generator end when it's pumped...you've got crud on the needle and it's not seating, if it pushes out the pump handle once pumped and the needle is screwed in it's got a bad check valve. Pump leathers, gaskets, check valves etc...are available here. Also, lots of good information to read up on and tutorials on how do just about anything. Doug

http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/home.php
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Backroads4me » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:49 pm

Doug, I'll have to make sure Bob sees that website for Coleman parts. It would be nice to get his fixed, instead of turning it into a planter or junk box!
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby jjvw » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:47 pm

It doesn't lose pressure, it just doesn't build up very much as you pump. It never pumps up to where it is hard to pump like my other stoves. Stove works but doesn't last long before it need a pump up, even on one burner. It been that why since it was new, even after a new pump shaft and rubber. If you open cap after pump, you can hear the pressure release but not as much as it should.
jjvw
Teardrop Builder

Postby Zollinger » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:46 am

I'm with doug on this one. You got good advice from the "Stove King" himself. :lol: It has a slow leak that's preventing it from attaining full pressure. Just because it did it since it was new doesn't mean that it didn't come from the factory like that. Stuff happens.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Weirdnerd » Fri May 10, 2013 8:51 pm

jjvw wrote:It doesn't lose pressure, it just doesn't build up very much as you pump. It never pumps up to where it is hard to pump like my other stoves. Stove works but doesn't last long before it need a pump up, even on one burner. It been that why since it was new, even after a new pump shaft and rubber. If you open cap after pump, you can hear the pressure release but not as much as it should.

You need a leather pump cup, the neoprene ones are garbage, also, I would pressurize the fount and put it in a bucket with water to see if your fuel filler cap gasket is good, you can see where the bubbles are coming from.

On the two burner 414, I would dis assemble the burner disks, clean it well, and reassemble it...while you are at it, clean the generator, or replace it, that would be a good way to make sure it will work well.

http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product. ... at=&page=1

This is my build thread...
Weirdnerd's teardrop
Weirdnerd
The 300 Club

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment