Decorating a New Trailer with Vintage Style

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Decorating a New Trailer with Vintage Style

Postby deleted » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:51 pm

I would have loved to have found a vintage teardrop but due to design and time constraints opted instead to design my own tiny trailer then hired Fred (a builder http://www.tnttt.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1480 here on the TNTT forum) to bring it to life. Now my goal is to find as many vintage elements as possible to still give the trailer a retro vibe.

After attending two rallies last year I realized that setting up a cute sitting area outside a vintage trailer seems to be a must. One thing I'd found online were cute folding chairs with a circular shape to the chair backs. Unfortunately they've all been on the east coast and I live on the west. Everywhere I saw them the shipping would have run $70-$80.

Today I walked into an antique store and found a pair that had just been brought in the day before! So happy. I'll be painting them bright shiny yellow to match the trailer frame, tongue, and wheel fenders and will find a cute fabric and make padded cushions for the seats.

So excited to finally be working on outfitting the trailer!

Some things still left to do:

• Find fabric and make an awning
• Hand paint the floor since there was no cute, fun, retro linoleum available
• Build retro-style interior cabinets for ice box, kitchen equipment, small bar sink, and porta potty
• Design custom fabric for curtains then design and sew curtains. Just recently learned about http://spoonflower.com
• Find and paint small folding table to go with outdoor chairs
• Find 1 quart dutch oven (will buy new if nothing vintage is available in time)
• Make custom fit dog bed for when doggie comes with me on trips
• Would like to design a special mosquito net tent for being able to sit outside and shoot long exposure night photography
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Decorating a New Trailer with Vintage Style

Postby Roo Dog » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:57 pm

Way to go Stacie.
It does not stop once the Tear is built.
We are always changing things, looking for that special little item or whatever.
They are as much a hobby as a camper.

Take it easy.

RD
Lets do a three sixty and get out of here !
Roo Dog
Silver Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:56 pm

Love that chair. It will look great outside the trailer.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Backroads4me » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:19 am

OMG, I love that chair! :thumbsup: While you're looking for the absolutely perfect table to go with it, here's a small folding table from Walmart that might do for now. Doesn't show in the picture, but it's got the same mesh on the top as your chairs do. I have one on the patio and just love it. They currently have them in stock in most WM garden centers (I can check the UPC barcode at my store to make sure they're the right ones)---a can of spray paint and you're good to go.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-18- ... e/20440504
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby deleted » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:50 am

Roo Dog I was kind of thinking that. Plus I want to someday graduate to a standee style, particularly to a vintage fiber glass model so I can always collect things for it too as I continue to decorate and improve my tiny travel trailer.

Thanks Bonnie and Backroads4me. I loved the style too. I've seen it three times on Etsy and Ebay but no way could I bring myself to pay that much for shipping. Kind of thought I'd have to settle for less. But I guess not! Even though I'll mostly be camping alone I learned by attending the TCT rally last year that proper tiny trailer etiquette dictates offering a seat to a guest so to find a pair was perfect!

I will have to look into that table Backroads4me. It would definitely work! There's a WM not too far from me. I can go there and take a peek :thumbsup:
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Backroads4me » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:15 pm

Stacie,

I didn't get a chance to look up the barcode on the table at my Walmart, but here's a photo of the one I own. It's 19 3/4 inch wide, 20 inches tall and it weighed in at 8 pounds on the bathroom scale. I've owned this one for a few years now, the current one on sale at Walmart ($17.00) may be a tad bit smaller.

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby deleted » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:15 am

Thank you Deb. I think that would be perfect once I paint it to match the chairs! I will try to stop by WM soon. :thumbsup:
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby T@Baker » Thu May 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Adorable chair! Target had some tables made the same way but with some bright colors. You may check them out too.
Crystal -
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says, "Oh, crap. She's up."
T@Baker
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Fri May 10, 2013 11:01 pm

I think the best thing for a retro feel is the lighting. Keep an eye out for chrome lamps that can replace whatever you have. If they are vintage, make sure to rewire.

Although kitch is easily overdone, a few pieces will really give an old feel. Maybe in the kitchen area.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby deleted » Sat May 18, 2013 12:12 pm

Thanks for the tip Crystal. I'd looked for the table on Walmart online but didn't see one. Walked into Target and found it on sale.

Great suggestion on the lights Judy. I was planning to redesign the fixture around the existing lights to be more fun and retro looking. The lights are more purposeful than decorative with a center fixed light and two swiveling lights on either side so I can aim them where I need them. No idea what I'll do yet, I think I need to have the trailer in hand to really think it through.

So now less decorative and more necessary I'm faced with a dilemma for my sleeping surface. All along I'd planned on using a Thermarest ultralight camping sleeping pad with a separate bed for my dog Kitai like this:

But then I laid on a Biosense Memory Foam Mattress Topper at Brookstone and now I'm torn. It was dreamy comfortable. Kitai and I could share it if I custom fit it to the floorspace of the trailer like this:

The only reason I like the idea of breaking down the bed and storing it is because I may be doing some very light cooking/reheating in the trailer so I can prepare meals less conspicuously when dry camping in cities.

Any thoughts?
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nevadatear » Sun May 19, 2013 10:05 am

How about covering the foam with a durable cover? The you could just stand it on edge and prop it up against the wall for more floor space. Sort of the poor mans murphy bed. Don't discount the importance a comfortable bed.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Sun May 19, 2013 10:18 am

I reccommend just window shopping now. Get ideas and sources, but don't buy anything until you have the trailer. When you draw it out on paper, it looks more spacious than it is. I really think one solid, wall-to-wall mattress would be more comfortable. Maybe a second bed for the dog on top. Cooking inside may need to be just sandwiches.

Just dream for now. Dream big, but don't write anything in stone.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby deleted » Sun May 19, 2013 10:46 am

Thank you both for confirming comfort was the way to go.

Well, I had to make the decision now because I'm leaving in just a few days to pick up the trailer and will camp in it on the way back. I"ll be taking a long route home to visit family and friends so choosing a bed now was necessary. After a lot of feedback on Facebook from friends who camp the consensus was to choose comfort over convenience so I went and got the Biosense mattress last night. I also got a cool wedge pillow so I can comfortably sit upright and work on my laptop at night. The other reason I want to purchase before I pick up the camper is because my shopping options are probably much larger here in San Jose than they will be in Greenville so the things that I don't think I can find there I'm going to bring with me.

"When you draw it out on paper, it looks more spacious than it is."

Very true! LOL the guys in the construction forum really made me think through the size. Most were convinced I couldn't sleep in such a small space so I lugged a bunch of storage containers in from the garage one night and built a 31" sleeping chute alongside the fireplace to replicate the space. I rolled out a (no longer comfortable) camping mattress and in the morning I woke up without accidentally waking myself by banging into either side. Plus I had guests. First the cat joined me, then dog came and stayed for awhile :lol:

Tipping the mattress on its side is what I decided on doing for now. When I need to clear the floor I'll tip it up against the wall behind me. It won't be pretty but it'll work. Later, if needed, I may cut it into two pieces so I can shift one each way and use the center area to take a shower. LOL I have thought through how to take a sitting shower in the camper using the bottom of Kitai's dog crate and two shower curtains hung from the ends of the curtain rods over the windows.. LOL

As far as cooking I've been doing some experimenting. Using a little fondue pot I found on Etsy I've been able to make hot tea and poach an egg using nothing but a tea light candle. I've used both the aluminum pot it came with and a one cup stainless measuring cup. I can tell using the stainless steel cup it will work to heat soup or possibly leftovers. I just have to keep an eye out for a small frying pan so that I can fit it on the base which is only 4" wide.

I also found an old electric hot plate at an estate sale I'm going to have rewired and will refurbish the finish myself. When I have shoreline power I could plug it in to do more small cooking inside, like making some potatoes to go with my candle poached egg.

deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deleted » Fri May 24, 2013 11:32 am

So I bought the Biosense mattress then returned it and instead opted for a 3" thick (natural not synthetic) latex foam mattress to cover the entire floor area. It's being custom cut to fit the open area and will be shipped to Fred's so I won't have to haul it to MI with me. That'll be a huge space saver.

Now I'm working on temporary curtains for the drive home. I'm just using the fabric I have available here at the house. So far I've made two sets of sheers for daytime use. I don't want to block the light completely and my windows are tinted dark grey so I think these will be good enough for now.

For night I made a pair of black fleece black-out curtains. I'm thinking the easiest thing to do would be to add four loops with snaps along the top edge. If I leave the sheer curtains parted I can "snap" the blackouts to the curtain rod for easy installation.

Am I missing anything here? :thinking: Are there any obvious window covering issues I'm overlooking?
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nevadatear » Fri May 24, 2013 12:51 pm

We have the tinted windows as well. I think you will be surprised to see how dark they make it inside. You need a light to read inside in the daytime. Black outs really aren't needed as my bet is even your sheers will block anyone from seeing inside, even with a light o at night. We have just cotton curtains and we always sleep much later in our trailer, partially because it is so dark in the trailer.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers