What else would I be needing "first time''

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

What else would I be needing "first time''

Postby 1firefly » Tue May 21, 2013 8:10 pm

I have is lodge 10'' 4 quart Dutch oven / portable bbq to put the Dutch oven inside. Do not know what else I should have for first time using it at a TJ gathering. What kind of charcoal should I be using ect. Also what would be a good/easy thing to cook for first time. thank you

do I need to re-season a brand-new never used Dutch oven
Last edited by 1firefly on Tue May 21, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1firefly
Teardrop Builder

Re: What else would I be needing "first time''

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue May 21, 2013 8:14 pm

I use regular Kingsford briquettes. Start with a basic cobbler and move up after some success .
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Redgloves » Tue May 21, 2013 8:42 pm

Easiest item to cook is a roast. Tastes wonderful when cooked in a dutch oven. Very forgiving of mistakes.

My experience, DO cooking lends it self to group activity, asking questions and receiving answers. Your efforts will be appreciated.
Geocacher, healthcare provider, mom and women with not enough common sense regarding personal safety when it comes to adventure outings!

Owner:
Uff Da Inn, a 2015 Camp Inn 560
Redgloves
The 300 Club

Postby Vedette » Tue May 21, 2013 9:24 pm

We too have yet to try our new 12" Lodge regular DO we purchased on the way home from the Dam. :thinking:
Sandi says Chilli???????
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed May 22, 2013 9:56 am

Here are some of the rough notes from my D.O. seminar I gave at the Crossroads gathering in 2011

I have to thank a couple of my fellow campers Jared and Misty Lucky for this info for I was unaware they existed …Basically a giant muffin cup~~~of Parchment or aluminum foil. These D.O. liners are available and make cleanup soooo much easier. They also make removal of baked goods go much smoother.

My big meatloaf secret……

DRIP COLLANDER FOR GREASE REMOVAL OF ROASTS, MEAT LOAF ETC.
3 BALLS OF ALUMINUM TO KEEP IT OFF THE BOTTOM

We will move to equipment needs and cost effective ways around these needs to save you some big bucks.

D.O. TABLE $150 - $250 MY WALKER 10.01

CHIMNEY $13.00 CAN IN A CAN 0.00

WELDING GLOVES $20.00 HEAVY CANVAS 66 CENTS

LIFTER $20.00 PLIERS FROM HOME 0.00

UTENSIL SET $30.00 GOODWILL 1.00 EACH

COAL SHOVEL $15.00 USE BIG SPOON ABOVE 0.00

LID HOLDER/ TRIVET 13.00 GAS STOVE GRATE 0.00

WINDSCREEN $10.00 4-5 LICENSE PLATES AND
Wooden storage box $19.00 KEY RINGS < 1.00
Nylon storage bag $15.00 38 –44 jeans 4.00
$ 271.00 - $371.00 $ 15.67

do you have an extra $300 - $400.00 to start cookin today how about $15-$20

Demonstrations cooking in the fire ring on coals not the fire
No skillet no problem ! cookin’ on the lid
No cook top no problem boiling / frying in the d.o.
No feet no problem gas stove grate

Tools:
gloves , lifter or pliers, shovel, tongs, starter chimney( mine + old can starter) , D.O. table ( mine. Satellite dish oil change pan and grill ) ,
NOTE : I need some white chalk to mark level in chimney
strainer, trivet, parchment paper D.O. ;liners paper and foil and scissors, a wind screen / grill , wisk broom, cooking thermometer
foil ( universal lid). scotchbrite pad ,wood utensils, butchers string

The single most important topic TEMPERATURE CONTROL this will be a good place to take a few notes.

Some folks ~~~Dia.X2 place evenly top and bottom some say to then move 2 up some say 3 up others yet say 4 up. I have found that THIS system works best for me and the math is fairly simple

Dutch oven temperature adjustment

To arrive at approximately 350 degrees in a 12 inch oven you would use 24 briquettes. Depending on the type of cooking you are doing, you may need to make the heat come more from the top or bottom of the oven. For example, too much heat on the bottom will burn bread.
To control the TYPE of cooking, you place more or less of the briquettes on the lid.

Here is a simple chart:

Baking 3/1 More heat from top so bottom does not burn.Place 3/4 coals on top and 1/4 underneath.
Roasting Heat comes equally from top and bottom.Place 1/2 coals on top and 1/2 underneath.
Stewing, Simmering 1/3 Most heat from bottom.Place 1/4 coals on top and 3/4 underneath.
Frying, Boiling All heat from bottom.Place all coals underneath.

A few others modes of cooking ; deep fry , broiler, slow cooker or use as a steamer

If you roast in the oven at home all the heat is the same, it’s the same with a dutch oven even coals top and bottom

If you fry at home all your heat from the burner is from the bottom,
It is the same with a dutch oven all the coals on the bottom.

This leaves 2 types of cooking left to remember. Baking and stewing/simmering. So for baking use 3 to 1 ratio your 12” takes 24 coals for 350 degrees so that is 18 on top 6 on the bottom .

Now flip this same math upside down for stewing/simmering. 1/3 or 6 on top and 18 on the bottom
A home oven as a standard burner while a large commercial oven has a larger oven and a bigger burner so a larger Dutch oven will also require a bigger burner.

Interactive ask the group

A 14” dutch oven uses ? coals for 350 degrees 28

To bake we need what ? 3 to 1 21/7

To roast we will need what? 1 to 1 14 / 14

To stew/simmer we will need what? 1 to 3 7 / 21

And to fry or boil ? 0 / all 28

350 degrees has cooked everything I have ever fixed. Cooking is simply time and temperature. Lower temperature = more time
A higher temperature = less time.

However, if you really want to know a single briquette adds about 12 – 15 degrees. So add one top and 1 bottom for 375 2 top and 2 bottom for 400 and so on. So to adjust up or down add or subtract pairs as you wish.

Rotating to avoid hot spots.

When you set your oven down have the lid facing you so you can read it or find someway to note the position. The lid position will remain unchanged throughout the entire cooking process, Rotating is a simple thing every 10 – 15 minutes turn the pot ¼ turn clockwise but return the lid to its original position.
You have effectively rotated the bottom heat ¼ turn clockwise and the top heat ¼ turn counterclockwise without any confusion.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bc toys » Wed May 22, 2013 11:10 am

for 1st timer I would suggest you get a lid lifter and welding gloves use Kingsford charcoal for a wind guard you can find sheet metal A/C duct in the hardware store and measure you oven and add 2-3'' to go around the oven. you can get a piece of sheet metal flat and put it on the camp grill for DO table or flat on ground {where I like mine } tongues for moving hot coals remember 350* is size of oven -3 on bottom and +3 on top if outside temp is around 85-90* if colder add 3 coals for ever 5* so at 80* it would be 12 on bottom and 18 on top for a 12'' oven then if you like cooking in DO you can go out and get a better table or make you a table.
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby 1firefly » Wed May 22, 2013 10:58 pm

Thank you everyone so very much I pass the information on to our group I believe there are three of us that are trying it for the first time. I'll let you know how it turns out. Bobhery you should see if you can permanently post the information that you gave me on top. It would be a good place for the next person that is a first timer/virgin to go to and look at. so do I need to re-season a brand-new never used Dutch oven
1firefly
Teardrop Builder

Postby nevadatear » Thu May 23, 2013 1:22 am

Depends on your belief system and DO gods you worship :? Most new dos come pre seasoned. Many folks are of the camp that this is adequate. Others feel it is not and should be removed and reseasoned. I have done it both ways and dont see a big difference. As Doug often says, others mileage may vary. Sorry, i know you were looking for a definative answer, and I only muddied the water. I might suggest you visit the campcook website at the top of the page under "TD friendly websites". And poke around there for an anwser to your question from some real experts.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Thu May 23, 2013 5:26 am

If you are on a tight budget, you don't need to buy new cast iron. I've got some great deals at flea markets and antique shops. Just make sure that there are no cracks, paint, warping or pitting and CI lasts forever! We've got cast iron that was used by great grandparents and it still works like new.

Seasoning is the key, the thing I suggest is to not use oil to season it... rather use 100% beeswax, make sure there is mo soy or paraffin mixed in. You can find a big block for $15 on amazon, or just check with your local apiary (bee keeper). Use exactly the same method, just substitute beeswax. Do that, make a few pancakes, and very shortly you'll be chasing your eggs just like you see on TV with the latest cheap cookware commercials. The only difference is yours wont leech who knows what toxins into your food.

Lastly, never. Put it away wet, and don't use soap or detergents to wash it. Stick to a green pad, or bamboo brush...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu May 23, 2013 6:29 am

1firefly wrote:
so do I need to re-season a brand-new never used Dutch oven

WHAT ARE YOU COOKING?

I have to confess I have NEVER seasoned one single piece of my cast iron. I have had some so rusted and nasty when they arrived I took sandpaper to them. Washed them and sanded and washed again,and dried and hot oiled it. When I felt it was suitable for cooking I deep fried something or roasted a big pork roast or fried some bacon. The natural fat and pork juices became my seasoning. I washed with clear water and a scotchbrite pad and rinsed and again heated the iron very hot to dry it and seared on a coating of vegatable oil for storage. I recently picked up a world war 2 era Korean 10" ? skillet and did exactly as above. I have cooked in it 3-4 times and the last time was fried eggs and they skated around like skaters on ice.

The single most important thing you can do for cast iron is to treat it with respect. Clean it immediatly and wash rinse and heat to dry and oil for storage. Never let food set in it , never soak it for clean up later. If it proves to be hard to clean simply fill with water and bring it to a boil. The stubborn food will then scrub out easily. Never scrape out the contents with metal utensils.

Pick up some parchment and foil D.O. liners for baking and messy cheese ladened cassaroles these will make cleanup
sooo... much easier.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby 1firefly » Thu May 23, 2013 10:15 am

I have already bought mine lodge. Had to buy my mine in the states they are just starting to sell the frying pans in Canada. Hard-to-find used ones it cost just as much as new one. I my mom cast-iron frying pan it was given to her in 1960. She's never seasoned it, washes it with little bit of soap(last thing to be washed) and when I tell her not to use soap she just rolled her eyes at me. Funny Now that I think back She only cooked bacon and pancakes in it. I have since seasoned it for her I used Crisco vegetable oil. I'll keep a lookout this weekend for the100% beeswax I'm going to be around some Amish market. I think I'll try it without re-seasoning it .
Bobhenry next time I'm in the states I'm going pick up some parchment and foil D.O. liners (the custom-made liners are unavailable in Canada :( ) I decided on making breadcrumb garlic potatoes. Easy just 4 ingredients. Next time I'm going to try monkey bread & banana pudding cake. Now that I'm hungry I'm going to go cook some bacon in it now. Thanks again
1firefly
Teardrop Builder

Postby nevadatear » Thu May 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Ok, now i want that potato recipe!
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Return to Cast Iron