how much water do you use

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

how much water do you use

Postby Lunchbox7985 » Sat May 25, 2013 12:24 pm

heres my design

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=55888

i plan on having 2 5-gallon tanks, fresh and gray. mostly for washing dishes, and maybe the occasional cup of water for cooking something. ive planned on the coleman colapsable water tanks, and just have them sit on the floor next to the fridge with flexible tubing so i can take the tanks out to fill/empty. i just dont think i want to do anything fancy with fill and drain acess on the outside.

so i know its a hard question to answer, but who else has a galley with around 5 gallons, how often do you find yourself filling up? do you find yourself rationing water like cellphone minutes to teenagers?

thanks
Lunchbox7985
Teardrop Advisor

Re: how much water do you use

Postby TENNJIM » Sat May 25, 2013 12:37 pm

We have noticed that everywhere we camp, there is water available and that we use very little to cook and wash. So, we put a 2.5 gallon tank in the teardrop and fill it when necessary at camp-don't want to tow much water weight around. If we camp where there is no water, we carry a five gallon tank in the tow vehicle.
:beer:
Jim B / Utah
Most People Seem Normal Until You Really Get To Know Them!
Never mind what people say, I think those Saguaros are shooting us the finger!
72.68% Of All Statistics Are Made Up!
TENNJIM
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Lunchbox7985 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:18 pm

i picked up 2 aquatainer 7 gallon tanks to use as my fresh and gray, we took one with us on a two day camping trip the other day, and with the spout at the site i could only get about 6 gallons into it (too lazy to walk to the dumping station to fill it up)

with washing dishes, hands, and making koolaid, that 6 gallons lasted us from friday evening to sunday morning, so i think i should be fine, if i have to tow the chuck wagon over to the dumping station every 2 or 3 days, im ok with that. plus once i get the trailer done, we will have a much larger fridge than the tiny one we took this time, so i imagine there will be less drinking out of the trailer water supply.
Lunchbox7985
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Corwin C » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:54 pm

When I dry camp (no water sources) I take 3 gallons (or more) per person per day. With judicious use and some care, most people can get by with less. If water sources are available for washing/dishes, etc. I usually drop it back to about a gallon per person per day (I'm picky about my drinking water.)

In dry camp situations, I tend to use more paper plates and other disposables. Baby wipes are indispensable for freshening up when a shower/bath isn't available.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby 48Rob » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:56 am

I use 6 gallons a day.

However, I have a shower, and interior sink in addition to the galley sink.
Based on my experiences over the last 7 years with this particular trailer, if just washing dishes, getting a drink, brushing teeth etc. 2 gallons per day would be more than plenty.

Once you start carting water from a faucet a block or better away, you learn to be careful with how you use it.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Lunchbox7985 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:02 am

ya, i dont think ill ever be in a situation where there isnt water available at least somewhere within driving distance in the campground. as long as i dont have to hitch up and refil every day, ill be happy
Lunchbox7985
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Fiferguy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:18 pm

The places I camp vary greatly, but in New Mexico one of the abounding problems is that there isn't water available. Even in the really nice campsites it's hit or miss whether there is water available or not. So I always pack as much water as I can--currently, that's about 20 gallons for a weekend.

Even without showering, I can go through that much if it's more than me camping. Generally, I'll save one 7 gallon container just for putting out the camp fire at the end of the weekend (provided we can have one). I've always found it's better to have water left over (you can always dump it before you leave) than it is to run out.
Fiferguy
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:23 pm

I take about a gallon a day of drinking water for the dog and me. I usually depend on the campground for wash water but do have a 12 gallon fresh water tank that I keep a couple gallons in, just in case. I also take paper plates to cut down on dishes and baby wipes for a quick "bath", when water is limited.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Roo Dog » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:50 pm

Approx 5 gallons fresh water for two nights out.

RD
Lets do a three sixty and get out of here !
Roo Dog
Silver Donating Member

Postby robertey » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:34 am

Usually at least 3 gallons per day, but I keep it stored in separate places for different uses.
1 gallon of drinking/cooking water per day in an insulated jug. additional beverages as desired in cooler. I will drink every bit of this if active.
I used to use a pastic jerry can type water container, but have relegated these to hurricane duty, as they are a PITA to fill and haul around. I now have an 18 gallon ABS watertank under the tear for washing and shower water. I usually fill it at least half full. I figure that I can use two-three gallons a day for sure with light cooking and a relatively luxurious navy style shower with my zodi outback, which I love dearly. It also does double duty as a stove/dishwashing setup.

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/300219_3054227.do?kwid=zodi+outback+gear+extreme+sc+hot+shower+with&gclid=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportchalet.com%2Fproduct%2F300219_3054227.do&gclid=COjsosO0w7gCFcJj7Aodni0Aaw
robertey
Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets