restoring old stuff.

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Re: restoring old stuff.

Postby logman7777 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:56 pm

Im into fixing just about anything old (and on occasion new). More of a hobby now but borne of necessity back in my quasi-homeless years.

Cars, Boats, Motors (electric and gas). fans, bicycles. Whatever gets left at the curb that looks interesting.

Latest revival was a 40 year old rototiller that was left in the middle of a field. Almost done re-building the original engine but to use I have a curb found 3 hp that only needed fresh gas and an oil change. So far it has prepped about 7 gardens in my neighborhood and helped me level out my old compost pile into a manageable piece of ground again.
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby Zollinger » Wed May 29, 2013 11:06 pm

My husband and I love to restore vintage travel trailers, and anything related to camping. One of my favorite things to do is take someone else's junk and make something new out of it. Example last year I used some old aluminum tent poles, old chain, carabiner and asst. hardware and made my own heavy duty tripod for my dutch oven. Our latest project is rebuilding our 20 year old picnic table.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby milliejohn » Wed May 29, 2013 11:49 pm

list of restored by us is as long as life, even a WW1 engine lathe with a 180 inch bed now used by a cotton gin repair company, started fixing vacuum tube radio's before I joined the USMC, still can, as well as keep up with today's electronics. Love vintage cars/boats/trailers and never pass up a chance to restore vintage lighting, gas/oil/electric the more prisms on a chandelier the better. My wife and my Mother-in-Law worked for Disney and MGM and have repaired countless antiques and dollhouse miniatures.

I love hearing about someone keeping things from the landfill and putting it back to use, not just separating the glass and aluminum, but actually fixing and paying it forward.
Image ~I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left~
milliejohn
Teardrop Master

Postby logman7777 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Unfortunately our pay to dump landfill wont let you take anything out of it.

I do remember the days when I went with my Dad to dump our garbage and possibly get something to fix up and use. Old bikes, mowers, a go cart (my 1st welding experience) dirt bikes and such. Ahhhh Memories! :)
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby Zollinger » Thu May 30, 2013 2:25 pm

logman7777 wrote:Unfortunately our pay to dump landfill wont let you take anything out of it.

I do remember the days when I went with my Dad to dump our garbage and possibly get something to fix up and use. Old bikes, mowers, a go cart (my 1st welding experience) dirt bikes and such. Ahhhh Memories! :)

I know what you mean. It's so sad that they would rather dispose of it that let someone have it that could fix it up and use it. In my area the reason that you can't have it is because people are picking stuff up and selling it at garage sales, or dumping it off at thrift stores and getting recipt's for their tax's. I'm lucky that my DH worked for the local recycler behind our house. We are allowed to get stuff out of the pile after hours. :D Heck I pulled a really nice 3 burner Coleman stove out of the pile. All it needed was the pump oiled.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu May 30, 2013 10:06 pm

Unfortunately the days of good scrounging in a dump are over. I remember as a kid in Alaska, a group of us riding our bikes down to the dump, ditching them in the woods and taking BB guns in and shooting rats and scrounging. Mom even used to pack me a sandwich. Sit on an old car roof and spend the afternoon "hunting" and scrounging. The workers never said anything as we were taking care of the rats. We used to drag home all sorts of things we found...and know what? No one ever shot their eye out! The 60's were great! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Weirdnerd » Thu May 30, 2013 10:55 pm

I like restoring old toys....

This is my build thread...
Weirdnerd's teardrop
Weirdnerd
The 300 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 pm

Hey Logman. I just noticed you are from Jersey. I almost married a Jersey gal. But she came to her senses in time.

I restored a 63 BMW motorcycle. And I like to get old military rifles shootable, they have some history. Colemans and other GPA stuff. At least the GPA stuff is cheaper than my other hobbies. I have 67 Beetle I might do if I happen to fall into enough money. My dad started collecting and fixing up cars, pickups, trucks and tractors when he stopped farming. We now have about 65 of them to get rid of. The oldest is a 1919 Model T Coup. there are 4 Ts altogether. They are different to work on. One week I did some work on them and a 1950 Bentley. Get tired of one and go to another. Get tired of that and time for a road test. :D
If anybody is interested stay tuned. But I am going to try to keep the 1930 Model A. And a step sister wants the Bentley.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby milliejohn » Thu May 30, 2013 11:28 pm

We restored the oldest buildings in Nevada, our Main Street Property in Dayton. Several properties in Virginia City and the one we currently help on belongs to friends of ours, the International Hotel/bar/cafe in Austin, NV. The oldest blacksmith shop in Nevada is now a residence on our property in Dayton, and I still use the forge and tools from time to time. I am an avid flintknapper and love to turn old rocks into new tools and jewelry,

I love the jets in the pics above, Marine aviator, avionics officer, rabid supporter of the Reno Air Races, proud Father of retired USAF pilot, who still works out of Eglin AFB.
Image ~I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left~
milliejohn
Teardrop Master

Postby logman7777 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:56 am

Wolffarmer wrote:Hey Logman. I just noticed you are from Jersey. I almost married a Jersey gal. But she came to her senses in time.

I restored a 63 BMW motorcycle. And I like to get old military rifles shootable, they have some history. Colemans and other GPA stuff. At least the GPA stuff is cheaper than my other hobbies. I have 67 Beetle I might do if I happen to fall into enough money. My dad started collecting and fixing up cars, pickups, trucks and tractors when he stopped farming. We now have about 65 of them to get rid of. The oldest is a 1919 Model T Coup. there are 4 Ts altogether. They are different to work on. One week I did some work on them and a 1950 Bentley. Get tired of one and go to another. Get tired of that and time for a road test. :D
If anybody is interested stay tuned. But I am going to try to keep the 1930 Model A. And a step sister wants the Bentley.

Randy

Ill be interested after I move out of here in a few months. Especially interested in old motorcycles..
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri May 31, 2013 12:11 pm

Dad doesn't have any more motorcycles. I do have a 1963 BMW R50S I restored in the 80s
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby logman7777 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:19 pm

Thats OK..

After the move Ill have to set up a time to see what ya got..
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment