Vintage Wildcat Trailer

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Vintage Wildcat Trailer

Postby wmshay6 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:23 am

I can get for free a 70's vintage wildcat trailer. It is not exactly a Teardrop, but it is pretty tiny. Sleeps 2. Plumbed for propane, complete with gas lights. Neat little trailer really. I already have a pop-up camper for the family, so don't really NEED it. But it might be a fun project to strip it down and redo it. Problem is I cannot find ANY information about Wildcat trailers. Google searches etc only turn up the modern 5'er version which is made by Forrest River- a completely different company. The trailer was made by a company called Wildcat that was in Elkhart with everyone else.

Does anyone know anything about these trailers or the company?
wmshay6
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Vintage Wildcat Trailer

Postby Zollinger » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:22 am

You probably won't find out much. Their were hundreds of small mfg's, and mom and pop company's that built trailers until the mid 70's. I learned that from Al Hesselbart of the RV/MH Hall of fame. http://www.rvmhhalloffame.org/ Scott and I met Al at a Vintage Trailer Rally and we sat down and had a wonderful talk with Al. If you every get a chance to sit through one of his presentations about the history of RVing and Camping do it. Good Luck!
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wmshay6 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:30 am

Thanks for the reply. I guess spare parts would be out of the question then huh? :lol: Still might do it- it has got to be cool to pull into a CG with something nobody else has!
wmshay6
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Zollinger » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:53 am

Go for it! I always say that my vintage Zollinger trailers was re-built using ideas from this forum. :D
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mark72 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:54 pm

wmshay6 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I guess spare parts would be out of the question then huh? :lol: Still might do it- it has got to be cool to pull into a CG with something nobody else has!

That would be all the more reason to go for it. Dare to be different!

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby Lstlcrzy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:34 am

Rich and I own a 1963 Wildcat made in Bremen In. I know of only a few of these trailers all are older than ours. Ours was found on the side of the road ground up restore not much to save. She LUCY is a 10ft. She has the same colour sheme as yours. I have seen a few sell on ebay over the last few years. We found LUCY 8 years ago. Look up Montello rally in your searh engine and scroll down the page she is pink actually a 59 oldsmobile colour. Linda
Lstlcrzy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KTLiz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:27 pm

I too, have just acquired a 13' Wildcat. Don't know the year (was told '65, but then, I was also told it was a StarCraft, but found the name Wildcat very faintly showing above the front windows) and have a few questions. Wmshay6, did you end up getting yours? Linda, I googled Montello you referred to but didn't find a pink trailer.
I can't find an ID/VIN number on her, so wondering if you could shed some light. Checked the traditional areas on the tongue with no luck.
Thanks for any help! Pics in my album.
Attachments
Wildcat_small.jpg
Wildcat_small.jpg (59.81 KiB) Viewed 5616 times
KTLiz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kullas » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:20 pm

check the frame around the wheels
Chris
Kullas
Donating Member

Postby Lstlcrzy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:53 am

Your vin schould be on street side of your hitch also a no. such as length and year. Mine is 135 meaning length 63 meaning year. decals will be above front and back window. yours is probably a 1964 or newer because of the type of windows you have. What colour are your appliances? If you remove your roof as we did ours was marked Wildcat and the dimensons. These trailers where made in Bremen in. later moved to Elkart. Ourtrailer is the last trailer in the Montello rally 1 she is actually a coral colour but is listed on title as pink .Linda
Lstlcrzy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KTLiz » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:01 am

Thanks, Linda for getting back to me- I was hoping that you would! This is all I found for the name, and the trailer has had work done to her. Someone painted the exterior with a paint brush (I hope this name was original), and there is some regular paneling on the interior. They also had begun replacing luan board on ceiling. The appliances are brown.
By "street side", do you mean underneath? It is still pretty cold here in WNY but I hope to have warmer weather to get all around the frame. It needs a good scraping/grinding/cleaning. I will keep posted if I uncover anything else. I appreciate the response!
KTLiz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KTLiz » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:06 am

...also, not sure the husband wants to take too much apart - pretty dry interior. Removing the roof is probably out of our realm of abilities too!
KTLiz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby charsh » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:35 am

Hello,

I have what I believe is a Wildcat, and found your posts in looking for info. I have posted some pics of my camper and a brochure that was posted on Good Old RVs. Hope you find it interesting.

Cheri
charsh
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jandmz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:33 pm

KTLiz wrote:...also, not sure the husband wants to take too much apart - pretty dry interior. Removing the roof is probably out of our realm of abilities too!

When I was a kid my dad taught me what I call "The Attitude". I'd watch him confidently working on something and I'd ask him if he had done it before, and he would reply, "No. But, sometimes you just have to look at it and ask yourself,'How hard can it possibly be?'."
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:37 pm

If someone could build it in the first place, it can be rebuilt.

If someone else was able to do it, I can do it, too.

;) :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Zollinger » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:57 pm

It can be rebuilt. They were built from the inside out. In other words they started with a frame, then floor, then added appliances, and closets. Then the walls were built and the outside skin and roof put on. To rebuild you have just reverse the order. I know easier said than done. :?
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment