GLAMPING?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

GLAMPING?

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:57 am

There's a new term going around: GLAMPING.

Okay, I think I know what that is; but do I really? :?
- Is it adding glamour to camping...?
- Or, is it an experience, a way of camping?
- Do you do it all the time or is it only for special occasions?
- Is it a Guy thing or a Gal thing or both?
- Do guys have their own glamour style and what do they call that?
- What about couples where one person is a guy and one is a gal?
- Is it choosing a decorating theme and following through to the max?
- When is glamping too much?
- Is that what went on in those old Lawrence of Arabia films?

In other words:
- What do you think Glamping is and what do you think about it?
- Do you have any examples? ...Pictures?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: GLAMPING?

Postby Captain Monkeyshines » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:39 am

Glamping is indeed the combination of Glamorous and Camping. I love it. Comfortable and cozy.

It's the opposite end of the spectrum from the "cold beans in a can, sleeping on the ground with no tent" crowd. It tends to involve high quality gear with the added bonus to foodies of high quality food. Things like Porterhouse steaks, escargot and fresh baked pies! :cheerswine:

When you're out camping and your food looks like it was served by a waiter wearing a tuxedo - pouring your vintage wine from a beautifully folded white towel, you are glamping. :beautiful:

You'll get naysayers who like to say things like "that's not camping, and I camp to get away from the comforts of home" but I think they are just jelly because their back hurts from sleeping on that rock all night

*begging your pardon, I hit New Posts and posted this answer before I saw this was in the Lady Teardroppers section, does a man's opinion still count?
“When You're Alone”
When you're in the kitchen, you've got to behave
You don't put metal in the microwave
The knobs on the stove are “hands off” no doubt
And when you make toast, don't use a knife to fish it out!
When you're alone, when you're alone
You got to stay safe when you're home all alone.
When you're alone, when you're home all alone
You got to make sure not to die, or choke or burn the house down.
Captain Monkeyshines
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:11 pm

Sharon, I've been using the term "Glamping" for a few years now and didn't even think it was a big deal. I don't go all out with Glamping like some ladies do. I am guilty of creating my own "Candlier" to hang under my canopy and I have brought out the "fireplace" heater before to sit next to and I will have cozy throw pillows on my camp chairs and a nice tablecloth for a side table but that's always been 'me'. I don't "stage" my camper inside or out like I've seen. Frankly, I don't want "BIG GIRL PANTIES" hanging from my front window (again, like I've seen) or so much stuff under my awning that you feel like you haven't left home. I WANT to feel like I've left home but still have a warm and welcoming camp site for others to enjoy.

I enjoy cooking more when I'm camping than I do when at home. There's just something about cooking outdoors. I belonged to a group on Facebook that was all about "Glamping" and I finally admitted that I did not feel like I was a 'glamper' but merely a camper who enjoyed a few amenities. Those ladies would go all out to make it "glamporous"...too much for me. I'm a camper! I'm a camper who likes to decorate her campsite a little, not much but just enough to make you, my fellow camper, feel welcome.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Captain Monkeyshines wrote:Glamping is indeed the combination of Glamorous and Camping. I love it. Comfortable and cozy.

It's the opposite end of the spectrum from the "cold beans in a can, sleeping on the ground with no tent" crowd. It tends to involve high quality gear with the added bonus to foodies of high quality food. Things like Porterhouse steaks, escargot and fresh baked pies! :cheerswine:

When you're out camping and your food looks like it was served by a waiter wearing a tuxedo - pouring your vintage wine from a beautifully folded white towel, you are glamping. :beautiful:

You'll get naysayers who like to say things like "that's not camping, and I camp to get away from the comforts of home" but I think they are just jelly because their back hurts from sleeping on that rock all night

*begging your pardon, I hit New Posts and posted this answer before I saw this was in the Lady Teardroppers section, does a man's opinion still count?

Of course your opinion counts! :thumbsup: :D I thought that I'd get more responses in the lady section because maybe it was a decorating thing or something.

Oh, and, If you want to cook me a porterhouse steak and escargot while wearing a tux, I'll eat the steak; smile politely at the tuxedo; and feed the snails to the raccoons!
:lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:44 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:Sharon, I've been using the term "Glamping" for a few years now and didn't even think it was a big deal. I don't go all out with Glamping like some ladies do. I am guilty of creating my own "Candlier" to hang under my canopy and I have brought out the "fireplace" heater before to sit next to and I will have cozy throw pillows on my camp chairs and a nice tablecloth for a side table but that's always been 'me'. I don't "stage" my camper inside or out like I've seen. Frankly, I don't want "BIG GIRL PANTIES" hanging from my front window (again, like I've seen) or so much stuff under my awning that you feel like you haven't left home. I WANT to feel like I've left home but still have a warm and welcoming camp site for others to enjoy.

I enjoy cooking more when I'm camping than I do when at home. There's just something about cooking outdoors. I belonged to a group on Facebook that was all about "Glamping" and I finally admitted that I did not feel like I was a 'glamper' but merely a camper who enjoyed a few amenities. Those ladies would go all out to make it "glamporous"...too much for me. I'm a camper! I'm a camper who likes to decorate her campsite a little, not much but just enough to make you, my fellow camper, feel welcome.

I'd say that the lady who used frilly panties for curtains was either making a humorous statement or putting out some sort of calling card! :lol:

I used to love to eat; but the selection is limited these days...Still love a good steak, though.... ...Gotta get into that cast iron stuff. Also, I need to learn how to make a campsite appealing and comfortable for company and still have room for everything when I pack up. I think that has something to do with simplicity but I'm not certain... Surely there are some tricks that I don't know.... Also, smoke from fires and/or skeeters doesn't seem "glamporous". Does the smoke keep the skeeters away?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:23 pm

Sorry to interject a male voice here: after my wife inspected her (my) 99% finished, utilitarian, fully packed trailer, she said it was "cramped". OK, ladies, when she takes it out, she'll be "Cramping". I had to chuckle a bit at that!
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:01 pm

working on it wrote:Sorry to interject a male voice here: after my wife inspected her (my) 99% finished, utilitarian, fully packed trailer, she said it was "cramped". OK, ladies, when she takes it out, she'll be "Cramping". I had to chuckle a bit at that!

Good one! :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Okay, people (or should I say men?)! Time out on Glamping, here, for a second....:

Men, if you walked into a living room full of women would you apologize for being a man, expressing your opinion and joining into the conversation?

It doesn't matter if you come from a family of four, one of each, most of us, if not all, would love to hear from any of you and you are welcome here.
I stick my nose and opinions anywhere; and usually, without apologies. So can you! The more opinions, thoughts, explanations, and jokes the better!

Apologizing is very kind; but, unnecessary. :) It's not like you're walking into the ladies restroom!

It's all good. :wine:

Okay...resume thread. :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby deleted » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:30 pm

"It's not like you're walking into the ladies restroom!"

:lol: That's even funnier because of all of the fellas who posted in the "going pee in the middle of the night " thread!

I'm loving the Glampers on the Loose group on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/groups/glampersontheloose/ It's quite active and everyone is alway sharing something they want, found, or made. Very fun, friendly, and inspiring group.

Mary Jane Butters, the woman credited with coining the term "Glampng" runs the group and just released a book about Glamping. http://www.google.com/shopping/product/17819701856795177949?q=mary%20jane%20butters&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1354&bih=746&sa=X&ei=NYu2UbmkAeGRiAKhyIBY&ved=0CIcBEPMCMAg
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Ah Ha! So, glamping is a way of unleashing your inner wild?! Here's the review that I found of the book that Stacie suggested:

Glamping with MaryJane: Glamour + Camping [Book]
$16 online, $25 nearby

By MaryJane Butters - Gibbs Smith, Publisher - 2012 - Hardback - 224 pages - ISBN 1423630815
MaryJane Butters' go-to guide for putting glamour into camping "Glamping, or glamour camping, one of the MaryJane's pet concepts, is about the juxtaposition of rugged and really pretty, grit and glam, diesel and absolutely darling."-The New York Times. Glamping-unleashing your inner wild while wearing a pair of fishing-lure earrings-is for every woman (or man!) who ever had a get-away-from-it-all fantasy (with a few frilly embellishments thrown in). Learn about the never-fail campfire, cooking with cast iron, how to change a flat, and much, much more. Follow the growing Glamping movement at maryjanesfarm.org and nationalglampingweekend.com. Like the infamous Calamity Jane, who said, "I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one," MaryJane Butters coined the term glamping years ago when she founded her unusual Idaho canvas wall-tent bed & breakfast, which was featured in The New York Times Magazine and Travel & Leisure as "the place to be." Legend status achieved, MaryJane lives in Moscow, Idaho, where she runs her many businesses, which include a successful organic farm, product lines, a bed & breakfast, and MaryJanesFarm magazine. This is her fourth book.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby deleted » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:48 pm

Your inner wild and camper style! :thumbsup:

Kind of like if Martha Stewart got a trailer.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:51 pm

I just checked out the Glampers on the Loose. They have some very cute campers and ideas. But....me, a glamper....? Not a chance!! Glamorous is not a word that has EVER been used to describe me, in any context, or any area of my life. But, if I had the wherewithal to be that cutesy, it looks like it would be fun. (I don't even think me and Martha Stewart are members of the same species.....)
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby deleted » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:58 pm

This was my introduction to vintage trailers that made me want one. I stumbled upon it while surfing the net one night. One look and I was hooked. It took a few months to realize that having one was doable, then a few more months to learn about them, a few more looking for one, and then a few more to design what I wanted to make it small and light enough for my car to tow. But Audree just made me squeal when I saw her. I think she's the epitome of a Glamper http://www.thefancyfarmgirl.com/the-cutest-little-trailer-in-a-country-mile/

(I don't even think me and Martha Stewart are members of the same species.....)
:lol: She's far too over achieving to be a real role model. I like to think of her more as a source of inspiration.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tearhead » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 pm

We need "Glampergirl" to check in here about now!

I guess I aspire to Glamperousness (? Glamper? Glamperosity?) but never come close to achieving it. I do have a rather nice set of nesting camping pots and pans, but the rest is still a somewhat chaotic work in progress.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Stacie Tamaki wrote:This was my introduction to vintage trailers that made me want one. I stumbled upon it while surfing the net one night. One look and I was hooked. It took a few months to realize that having one was doable, then a few more months to learn about them, a few more looking for one, and then a few more to design what I wanted to make it small and light enough for my car to tow. But Audree just made me squeal when I saw her. I think she's the epitome of a Glamper http://www.thefancyfarmgirl.com/the-cutest-little-trailer-in-a-country-mile/

(I don't even think me and Martha Stewart are members of the same species.....)
:lol: She's far too over achieving to be a real role model. I like to think of her more as a source of inspiration.

OMG! If I spent 10 minutes in that trailer, I would walk out exhausted, with my eyes like saucers. It's very, very cute; but, to me, not restful. It is definitely the expression of individualism.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers