GLAMPING?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Re: GLAMPING?

Postby deleted » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:19 pm

It is definitely the expression of individualism.

Very true and what I love about theses trailers and attending a rally. Last summer I wandered from trailer to trailer at a Tin Can Tourist rally and saw everything. The range of styles was wide and each was cool and special in its own way. It makes me want to have several trailers so I can take out the one that most suits my mood that day. But we need a lot more parking space (and a big pile of money) around here before that can happen :R
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:46 pm

Stacie Tamaki wrote:
I'm loving the Glampers on the Loose group on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/groups/glampersontheloose/ It's quite active and everyone is alway sharing something they want, found, or made. Very fun, friendly, and inspiring group.

Okay, I just looked at the glampersontheloose website and think I understand a little more. It looks to also be about color and individual style and expressing oneself through color and unique things. I think most of us do a little of that; but, some do more than others.

:thinking: When I purchase or make things for my trailer, I always think about things that some of those ladies don't seem to think about:

- Where will the item ride when on the road?
- Will it break or be easily damaged?
- Is there room for it?
- If I have to set it out and pose it at every campground, is it worth the effort?
- Does it serve a purpose?

Having the midnight potty out every night, most everything "kitcheny" must be put away, in a cabinet, before setting up the potty and going to bed.
(It's the creepy germ possibility....) That limits both the effort factor and the "cutsie" factor for me. I guess I'm just too practical. Still, there are other areas to a camper where things don't have to be put away and where distinct personality and tastes could be stated....
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby deleted » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:08 pm

I think it also has a lot to do with retro items and a retro style no matter the period.

Also, Sisters on the Fly would be a good example of Glampers. They seem to go all in when it comes to decor and polishing the camping experience into something a bit more fancy http://www.sistersonthefly.com/

And I agree that space, functionality, and durability need consideration. I saw some cute items for The Glampette but no glass due to breakage and weight. And one of my goals is everything has to serve at least two functions if it's going to make the cut. I've been finding all kinds of cute stuff in the vintage section of http://Etsy.com. I'm no good on eBay, it's just way too stressful to me. :?
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Stacie Tamaki wrote:I think it also has a lot to do with retro items and a retro style no matter the period.

Also, Sisters on the Fly would be a good example of Glampers. They seem to go all in when it comes to decor and polishing the camping experience into something a bit more fancy http://www.sistersonthefly.com/

Sisters on the Fly definitely have style and a lot of fun! However, most the time, dogs are not allowed; so, I won't be joining that one until my dog passes on to the happy hunting ground. Like you, I consider my dog a member of the family. Sisters on the fly certainly are an active group! Did you see the handsome fishing guide in those pictures? Those ladies had some big smiles on their faces! :lol:

I guess glamping is both food and wine and personal decorating style, with few, if any limitations on any of that; plus, a lot of good natured fun and camaraderie. :thinking: Maybe glamping is what you wish you could do all the time, everywhere.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby deleted » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:49 pm

Pat I love "Glamperosity!"

Yeah, the whole no dog thing cooled my interest in joining Sisters on the Fly. But they're still sure fun to follow online. Those ladies know how to get around! One of the first pictures I saw of a get together was one a friend sent me when he heard I was into getting a trailer:

Source: http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/2011/10/glampingtrailer-style.html

Something about knowing those were all women with trailers strengthened my resolve that I had to have one. I wanted that freedom to go anywhere and experience new places and faces.

ETA: I missed the fishing guide so I went back to take a peek :thumbsup: :lol:
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:51 am

I think of glamping in any RV over 20 feet or the picture of a tent I saw where she literally brought a bed with headboard and a dresser to put in her tent (I think she is a member of Sisters on the fly). She likes to be comfy and she likes sleeping in a tent.

My youngest son thinks going with a teardrop turned me into a glamper. I think it is perspective.

Sisters on the fly looks like fun but I am not big on crowds and doing everything with everybody else, and the no dog thing as well. Maybe we should Start a Pups on the road camping group, dogs required. Stuffed dogs ok if you don't have a real one.

Think I will just stick with this group here on TNTTT and Tearjerkers, we got it all
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:47 am

PKCSPT wrote:I think of glamping in any RV over 20 feet or the picture of a tent I saw where she literally brought a bed with headboard and a dresser to put in her tent (I think she is a member of Sisters on the fly). She likes to be comfy and she likes sleeping in a tent.

My youngest son thinks going with a teardrop turned me into a glamper. I think it is perspective.

Sisters on the fly looks like fun but I am not big on crowds and doing everything with everybody else, and the no dog thing as well. Maybe we should Start a Pups on the road camping group, dogs required. Stuffed dogs ok if you don't have a real one.

Think I will just stick with this group here on TNTTT and Tearjerkers, we got it all

:thumbsup: It seems like that. I say just do your own thing and be happy.

Here's another couple Glamper forums that I don't think were mentioned yet(?):

http://glampingforum.com/
http://www.campandglamp.com/glamping-forum.html#/

Oh-oh...somebody just attacked me. Gotta logoff.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:56 am

tearhead wrote:We need "Glampergirl" to check in here about now!

I guess I aspire to Glamperousness (? Glamper? Glamperosity?) but never come close to achieving it. I do have a rather nice set of nesting camping pots and pans, but the rest is still a somewhat chaotic work in progress.

(Okay...my computer has been checked and I'm back....evil exists on the Internet as well as everywhere else.)

I've been trying to get a Glampergirl to check in here but they're all too busy on those Glamper forums! :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:05 am

S. Heisley wrote:OMG! If I spent 10 minutes in that trailer, I would walk out exhausted, with my eyes like saucers. It's very, very cute; but, to me, not restful. It is definitely the expression of individualism.

I just checked out the Fancy Farm Girl, and while I do agree the cute factor is off the chart, I am with Sharon on this one. It's definitely in the category of things I love to look at but wouldn't want to live with. I'm much more on the practical side. Not that I don't like "style," and I would like to think that my little trailer has a style of it's own that's a little better than just thrown together, but for me everything needs a purpose (or preferably more than one), and it needs a place to be stored (secure, and preferably out of sight). My trailer will not likely have many items that are "decorative only." But I'll do my best to try and have my "need to have" items fit in with the general look and theme of the teardrop. And that's about as good as it gets for me.

I do applaud you girls that keep the world pretty for the rest of us to look at though. :applause: :applause: :applause:
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:08 am

tearhead wrote: I do have a rather nice set of nesting camping pots and pans.......

Nesting pots and pans??? Now you're talking my language!! Tell me about them, what kind are they, where did you get them?????
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:11 am

Stacie Tamaki wrote:Pat I love "Glamperosity!"
...One of the first pictures I saw of a get together was one a friend sent me when he heard I was into getting a trailer:

Source: http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/2011/10/glampingtrailer-style.html

Something about knowing those were all women with trailers strengthened my resolve that I had to have one. I wanted that freedom to go anywhere and experience new places and faces.

Love the modern "wagon party" circle. Somebody has a sense of humor! (Plus, it's a good way to do things, with the fire and party in the center and trailer doors on the inside of the circle, for extra protection and easy personal access.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby pmowers » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:26 am

Captain Monkeyshines wrote:Glamping is indeed the combination of Glamorous and Camping. I love it. Comfortable and cozy.

It's the opposite end of the spectrum from the "cold beans in a can, sleeping on the ground with no tent" crowd. It tends to involve high quality gear with the added bonus to foodies of high quality food. Things like Porterhouse steaks, escargot and fresh baked pies! :cheerswine:
How about blackened salmon with a cashew-garlic butter finish, roasted red potatoes and lightly seasoned fresh asparagus? Finished with a fresh-baked cobbler? :thumbsup:
Captain Monkeyshines wrote:When you're out camping and your food looks like it was served by a waiter wearing a tuxedo - pouring your vintage wine from a beautifully folded white towel, you are glamping. :beautiful:
We actually had this once, (well, it was really a tuxedo print t-shirt), and a nice Pinot Grigio.
Captain Monkeyshines wrote:You'll get naysayers who like to say things like "that's not camping, and I camp to get away from the comforts of home" but I think they are just jelly because their back hurts from sleeping on that rock all night
There are four of us guys who usually go camping together. Combined, we probably have over 80 years of military field experience. I think that we deserve a rock-free sleep at night, a good meal with friends, and great conversation. I just didn't know it had a name.
Captain Monkeyshines wrote:*begging your pardon, I hit New Posts and posted this answer before I saw this was in the Lady Teardroppers section, does a man's opinion still count?
If a man speaks in the woods and a woman does not hear him, is he still wrong? :R

Pat
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Build log:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51193
pmowers
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:35 am

Oldragbaggers wrote:
S. Heisley wrote:OMG! If I spent 10 minutes in that trailer, I would walk out exhausted, with my eyes like saucers. It's very, very cute; but, to me, not restful. It is definitely the expression of individualism.

I just checked out the Fancy Farm Girl, and while I do agree the cute factor is off the chart, I am with Sharon on this one. It's definitely in the category of things I love to look at but wouldn't want to live with. I'm much more on the practical side. Not that I don't like "style," and I would like to think that my little trailer has a style of it's own that's a little better than just thrown together, but for me everything needs a purpose (or preferably more than one), and it needs a place to be stored (secure, and preferably out of sight). My trailer will not likely have many items that are "decorative only." But I'll do my best to try and have my "need to have" items fit in with the general look and theme of the teardrop. And that's about as good as it gets for me.

I do applaud you girls that keep the world pretty for the rest of us to look at though. :applause: :applause: :applause:

:yes: Every decorated trailer adds interest for the rest of us.

Confession: I was just a little bit of a glamper diva last week. I was unhappy with my flatware because I can never find what I want to use when I want it; so, was looking for a cutlery holder...found one with pretty blue flatware in it and had to have it. I didn't need new spoons, forks, etc, but I liked the blue flatware and the price was very right. ...Thought it was odd that it was only $7 for 16 pieces plus the holder....
When I got home and cut the ties that held the flatware in place, I found out why. The holder didn't hold things in place! The knives and forks fell through the bottom to scrape the counter and all the pieces fell out the sides and into the adjoining sections! (HaHa! The flatware holder was what I was originally shopping for! HaHa!) The price must've been set low enough that the consumer wouldn't bother to take them back and get a refund. I almost did; but, liked the flatware so much that I went out and bought a different holder and the holder cost more than the flatware! So, I guess that counts in diva land. :lol: Now, I'm working on making a holder on the door for the flatware holder so that I only have to get the flatware out and put it away when I feel like it and the rest of the time, it's easily available. :roll: Duh! I'll post pics on the forum later on...

Gotta go again...forgot to take out the trash and it's trash day.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby deleted » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:38 am

"If a man speaks in the woods and a woman does not hear him, is he still wrong? :R "

:rofl:

I think there are quite a few glampy women and men here from what I can tell. Reading about people with 6" foam mattresses, beautiful handmade quilts that take as long to make as the teardrop took to build, people with ovens in their trailers, and some of the recipes and pictures I've seen in the cast iron forum lead me to believe that some are sub-consciously glamping but, like Pat, just didn't realize there was a name for it.

This is how the matriarch of glamping travels. . . With a claw foot tub!

Source: http://modafabrics.blogspot.com/2012/10/mary-jane-butters-glamping.html

The thing is, when not in use for bathing it doubles as a table base. That's the kind of glamper I want to be. Kind of like my dog crate/shower stall :lol:
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deleted » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:41 am

" I was just a little bit of a glamper diva last week."

Better watch out. It's a slippery slope. :lol:

And we definitely need to see :pictures: of your new blue flatware and holder. And the holder's holder.

Oh, and meant to say:

" Maybe we should Start a Pups on the road camping group, dogs required. Stuffed dogs ok if you don't have a real one. "

:thumbsup: and :lol: I agree!
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers