Coleman Quick Lite

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Coleman Quick Lite

Postby Duwammer » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:10 pm

What can anyone tell me about this lantern

On the tank It has coleman quick lite, trade mark, sunshine of the night, and is date stamped 0 (zero) and 3

After doing some reading, I found that it has US Pat May 13 1919 and British Pat 1553329 stamped on the burner tube

It doesn't have anything FS or forest service stamped on it.

I'm wondering what model is it.

Duwammer
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Coleman Quick Lite

Postby Junkboy999 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Most coleman lanterns have a production date on them starting around 1920s. older one usually do not have production dates but some time have the Pat. date. May,13 1919 shows up on a few outdoors lanterns as well a table lanterns.

Stamping on the bottom 0 - 3 means it is dates so it can not be 1910 - March, so it would have to be 1920 - March or 1930 - March. So we just have to pick away at the clues to solve this mystery. :thinking:

Model 327 were made 1920 > 1925. so this fits the bill , but they have nickel plated vents with a lot of smaller holes in them. Model 427 were 1929 > 1933 and usually have Green vents ( like in your picture ), but has an internal pump. This lead me to believe it is a Model 327 (L327) with the wrong vent on the top.

I really need to see more pictures to tell. Also nice to know more about it. It is double mantel, do it have a loop in it’s Generator, is there a big swing away access door under the burner frame for putting a torch up in there ( this opens up and closes ). Is there a round disk ( about 3 inches across ) in the bottom of the burner frame.

Hope this helps. Best Guess with what little information posted is Model 327
:thumbsup:
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Duwammer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:47 am

Hope these pictures help.

Duwammer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rainjer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:00 pm

I say it is a 327 with the wrong vent.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Junkboy999 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:03 pm

here is what the Vent should look like

http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/coleuslantpre31.htm Starting about #15 > #20 picture down on this page.
The nice one on the wooden wall plaque is a great example.

I’m working on making me a few little shelf like that one and some lantern boxes that double as display cases for my nicer lanterns. when I get some nice ones. :lol:
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Duwammer » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:28 am

It does look similar to that one but it looks like the handle connects different than on mine.

I found one with the same base and top and handle connections on this site but the knurled knob looks different.

It was called a Northern Pacific Railroad Quick-Lite.

http://www.millioncandlepower.info/lantpre50.html
Duwammer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby High Desert » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:44 am

I think Jeremy has it correct. The best way is to go with the date stamp on these. Over the years many minor variations where made and parts were interchangeable for many models. Back then folks did a lot of things to keep them operating, and the Coleman repair centers would replace worn or damaged parts with newer pieces. As the vent seems incorrect, the cage could also have been changed. Quick Lites are great, they run like no others do. That's a great find, congrats. :thumbsup:

BTW, what part of the country did you find it in? Canadian models are a whole other kettle of fish.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:59 pm

Like High Desert say the Fount ( tank ) is the only thing that is dates and everything on the lantern can be replaced with parts form who know where.

I think the placement of the pump on your is too high on the fount, more closer to the collar then that one pictured and labels as Northern Pacific Railroad Quick-Lite

WE can look at picture all day, so look at the lanterns on this page. Lot of Canadians lanterns on here. http://www.geocities.jp/gkpllantern/31_Coleman_QL.html

If I took any collectors page as truth with would be Terry Marsh's.

Is there a fuel cap and a pump on your lanter? The angles of your pictures is making it looks like there is only a Fuel hole and the pump is in the same place. You might have to go to the coleman collectors forum to get an answer on that lantern.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby High Desert » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:22 pm

Terry, the early models didn't have a built in pump. That started with the next model, the 427 and helps date this one to a point. This type used a small hand held pump (like a small bicycle type) that was pressed against the center stem on the filler cap. That is loosened to add pressure then closed to hold it. In the link below to Terry Marsh's site shows a few examples of the pumps.
http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/pumpsad.html
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Duwammer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:00 pm

Nope, no pump on this Lantern. It's like High Desert stated it must use an external pump.

I'm not really a "collector" of lanterns. I just happened to be at a sale and got a pretty good deal (I thought)on some lanterns a few years ago. These things have been sitting in the basement. I thought maybe I would dig into this one and see if I could find out a little about it as it's the oldest one that I found out of the group that I bought.

It makes sense that it had been worked on and parts replaced as to why it's different. I leaned towards the Railroad lantern because of the how the location the bail connects and partially because the old boy also had some old railroad lanterns for sale.

I also picked up (2) Optimus 1200 Kerosene lanterns brand new in the box, a LR L2 Kamplite, a L43 S Preway, and some other older coleman lanterns so it wasn't a bad stop.
Duwammer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Junkboy999 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:08 pm

Ya I wrote up a big text file stating why it could not be a that 427 railroad lantern How I thought it was a older fount because of what appeared as an air valve higher on the shoulder and not a pump. How the Air valves were higher because it was easier to hold the an external pump in one hand while pumping with the other in the upright position. Then later extrenailed pumps where add as screw on attachments. Next there installed them half way into the fount, and finally fully inclosed in the forum. As all of these changes took place the placement of the hole in the fount moves lower on the shoulder and more to the side. This allowing for a longer pump, easier to pump at that lower angle, kept your hand away from the hot cage.. Bluh blah.. but when I went to post it the forum just hung after I hit submit. Usually I just restart InterNet Explore to find the post was posted successfully, but that night I just went bed and nothing got posted.

Silly me should of checked. The last line in that text actually ask to see if that was a pump or not. Oh well. A day late and a few dollars short.

Du-Wammer.. since you not really a collector you should just see if you can get what pieces you have together and get her working. It can be Fun and Frustrating. I got a Mil spec and a 202 I have to take out the check valves and clean them up now that my CV remover tools came in the mail today Yaaaa.. too bad it is 100 in my garage :( booo.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment