More Fat Bikes to join the fold.

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

More Fat Bikes to join the fold.

Postby Fenlason » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:42 am

The word is that Specialized and Cannondale will be joining the Fat Bike Market. :thumbsup:

We love our Surlys ... the Pugs and Moonlanders, but more options in the market can be great... and more volume might bring the prices down a little... and I can't wait to see what these to companies might bring. :wakka wakka: :wakka wakka:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Re: More Fat Bikes to join the fold.

Postby kirkman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:50 pm

That will be cool I cant wait!!!!!......Glen I just notesed where you live my family all live in Boothbay, Me
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:52 am

kirkman wrote:That will be cool I cant wait!!!!!......Glen I just notesed where you live my family all live in Boothbay, Me

Yeah my mind is reeling with the possibilities. An increase in volume should bring some prices down. More options will be great also. :D

Ok so when you come this way for a visit.. bring your bike. :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby kirkman » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:18 pm

I will. I always have some kind of bike with me. :thumbsup:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:46 am

Wow! Kona is joining the Fat Bike World also. These bikes might become main stream. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby asianflava » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:58 am

There is a burger joint near me, one of the employees parks his Moonlander inside. Never ridden one, but I sit there staring at it while eating my burger, wondering if those are hard to pedal. Seems like so much rotating mass to get going.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:58 pm

asianflava wrote:There is a burger joint near me, one of the employees parks his Moonlander inside. Never ridden one, but I sit there staring at it while eating my burger, wondering if those are hard to pedal. Seems like so much rotating mass to get going.

I have Surly's knobbiest tires on our Moonlanders... vs what comes stock on them. So far I would have to say.. it is not a particularly fast bike. We also each have a Pugsley. We can make those go fairly fast. I can crank on it, quite well. In stock trim.. the Moonlander is not heavier than my Pugsley was [our Pugs have been lightened a bit] Heavy wheels and tires do take more work to get up to speed.. but once up to speed.. they like to stay there. I think the biggest hindrance to speed on the Moonlander is having so much tire in contact with the ground. That creates a lot of friction.

So far I find my Pugs to be a pretty good all around bike, while the Moonlander to be more specialized. It will however go places that even the Pugs won't. The Pugs will ride on snow.. that no "regular" mountain bike can. The Moonlander will float on snow that the Pugs can't. Late last winter we were riding on about 18" of crusty snow..snow that we could not walk on.. each step we would "post hole" up past our knees.. yet we could ride on it. It was freaking amazing. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:14 pm

Norco has jumped in also. :o :D :thumbsup:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby logman7777 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:04 pm

Im getting all warm and fuzzy over the Mongoose Beast for $199 at that Wally World store :thumbsup:

Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby Fenlason » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:09 am

logman7777 wrote:Im getting all warm and fuzzy over the Mongoose Beast for $199 at that Wally World store :thumbsup:

It's not very rideable for anything other than a cruiser. We had someone bring one into the shop a while ago. He had done some work to lighten it.. and successfully took close to 2pounds off it, and it still tipped the scales at 48+ pounds. :shock: This is with no brakes [well a coaster brake] no shift levers or derailleurs. Its geared pretty high.. although lowering it a little is pretty easy.

This guy new people in the area were interested... he bit the bullet and was going to make a project bike out of it. He didn't get very far.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby logman7777 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:53 am

That is one of its downfalls for sure. I was thinking about getting one and lacing in a 3 speed Steumy Archer Hub to allow more than neighborhood riding but just havent pulled the trigger on the whole thing yet.
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:02 am

Fenlason wrote: Its geared pretty high.. although lowering it a little is pretty easy.

I saw a youtube video of it and the guy re-geared it twice. I think he said that he ended up with a 22t on the rear.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:15 am

logman7777 wrote:That is one of its downfalls for sure. I was thinking about getting one and lacing in a 3 speed Steumy Archer Hub to allow more than neighborhood riding but just havent pulled the trigger on the whole thing yet.

I think the rear hub spacing is 170mm.. I haven't looked but I am not sure if Sturmey Archer makes a hub that size? :thinking:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby logman7777 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:31 am

asianflava wrote:
Fenlason wrote: Its geared pretty high.. although lowering it a little is pretty easy.

I saw a youtube video of it and the guy re-geared it twice. I think he said that he ended up with a 22t on the rear.

That would be the quickest way to get it to spin for sure..Im really thinking im going to get a set of 24" steelies, mount some thick bricks and spread the frame on my 50's Murray built JC Higgins to get my "fat" on..lol 8)
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby logman7777 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:34 am

Fenlason wrote:
logman7777 wrote:That is one of its downfalls for sure. I was thinking about getting one and lacing in a 3 speed Steumy Archer Hub to allow more than neighborhood riding but just havent pulled the trigger on the whole thing yet.

I think the rear hub spacing is 170mm.. I haven't looked but I am not sure if Sturmey Archer makes a hub that size? :thinking:

I would get some all thread and use spacers to get it to the wider width if I ever get one..
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Next

Return to Bicycles