GLAMPING?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Re: GLAMPING?

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:26 pm

Someone has finally written a beginner's guide to GLAMPING:

http://good.net.nz/magazine/good-issue- ... o-glamping

After reading the above, my conclusion is that glamping is perfecting your own style, based on your circumstances, needs and wants; but also, finding a camping spot that you love, and doing things in a way that makes you happy and soothes your inner being. Do you agree?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby deleted » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:45 pm

I do agree. I think the only thing to add is that to be "glamping" it has to step beyond the basics in some way or form. How far you want to take it is up to you, but there is a definite comfort (whether physical or mental) factor that (in the eyes of a glamper) elevates camping to glamping. Or, from a traditional camper's perspective they may consider traditional camping the height of the experience and glamping a distraction or less than pure form of camping. To each his or her own. Like you said, it's all in your own perspective of what makes you happiest. :thumbsup:
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deleted » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Mostly what that article makes me realize is I need a bigger tow vehicle so I can bring more comfort stuff with me. :lol: Don't get me wrong. I love my tiny camper's size, but to be able to set up more stuff outside and create an environment for The Glampette to be surrounded by would be fun. I think hubby would kill me if I said now I want a bigger car... Since I just went to such extremes to have a lightweight trailer built for my current car to tow :MLAS I'm just really into the whole visual thing and the #13 and #16 food and dining suggestions.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Stacie Tamaki wrote:Mostly what that article makes me realize is I need a bigger tow vehicle so I can bring more comfort stuff with me. :lol: Don't get me wrong. I love my tiny camper's size, but to be able to set up more stuff outside and create an environment for The Glampette to be surrounded by would be fun. I think hubby would kill me if I said now I want a bigger car... Since I just went to such extremes to have a lightweight trailer built for my current car to tow :MLAS I'm just really into the whole visual thing and the #13 and #16 food and dining suggestions.

You could get a luggage rack for your car and/or teardrop..... :thinking:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby deleted » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:40 pm

S. Heisley wrote:
Stacie Tamaki wrote:You could get a luggage rack for your car and/or teardrop..... :thinking:

Now that's a good idea. But then I wouldn't have enough space for my solar panel (trailer) or future guest room (car) :lol:

ETA: Just kidding about this ^
http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/columbus.php
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:56 pm

Okay...Gotta add this in:

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/g ... y-19859679

As usual, you have to sit through an advertisement first...But...Enjoy!

(By the way, for one night of $2500.00 Glamping, I could probably build a foamie...or at least a good part of one! :lol: )
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby tearhead » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Somehow, llamas are not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of wildlife! Fun to see another take on glamping. Thanks, Sharon!
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:27 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Wildlife : Lamas?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gotta remember that service is for the really for the hotel gang. The people who Say I'm not going into the woods and sleep on the ground!!!!! I have a good friend who is like that, and she still wouldn't go that tent glamping. And Sharon I built my foamie for less than $600. for that money we could build a few and sell them!!!!

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deleted » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:22 am

LOL the funniest thing about that video is that I know the camp chef :lol: I can vouch that the price makes more sense if they include a chef of Ethan Mantle's talent and stature. His food is always AMAZING. The llama as wildlife is pushing it though :lol:
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:54 pm

There is a local company in the Redding area that takes people on treks into the mountains, using llamas as pack animals, instead of horses, donkeys or mules. I suspect that they may be multi-purpose animals, pack animals and "unique animal" advertisement. :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mary C » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:05 pm

A lady down the road had 5 lamas she goes lama back packin' they walk (hike)and the lamas carry their stuff. She broke her back and cannot carry anything on her back so she went to the state and they approved her one lama as a helper animal for disabled so she can walk on the trails in Ga that are ment for people only and camp out like regular hikers. She is trying to get permission from all the states so she can walk on the trail all the way to Maine. She hasn't heard back from any and she has to get the clearance from the US Park service too. any way she had to get rid of one of her lamas because he spit too much. They are very domesticated. hardly wild, and like big dogs.

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:02 pm

Okay, here's one for you: Project Runway goes Glamping for fashion designing:

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project ... l-episodes

Episode 6 (Let's Go Glamping!)
Season 12, Episode 6 - Project Runway Season 12 Episode 6 (Let's Go Glamping!). Air Date: 08/22/13. The designers have a chance to wind down and go on an overnight "glamping" trip, with the surroundings from the campsite serving as inspiration for the designer's next challenge. But could one designer's lack of love for the outdoors derail him? Actress Allison Williams of Girls serves as guest judge.

...Parts of it are pretty humorous, IMO.

Note: the screen is black at first and then there is a commercial before the segment begins.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:09 pm

S. Heisley wrote:There's a new term going around: GLAMPING.
- Is it a Guy thing or a Gal thing or both?
- When is glamping too much?
- What do you think Glamping is and what do you think about it?

Being a male, and a camper...I think a lot of this "glamping" is out of control. Over on the Tin Can Tourists site, you see people that haul all sorts of unused crap out. Check out their trailers and you can't even get in for all the stuff on display. Seriously...does anyone need 75 different Coca Cola items in a trailer, I've seen it in person...then, you have to have the old late 40's Cosco chair...just because it's red, or 3 Thermos jugs in different sizes...or 6 pink flamingos, faux potted plants, white picket fences, or a full set of matching old Samsonite luggage all stacked neatly near the trailer. Why, just because you have it? It's gotta be a female thing. I have a ton of Coleman stuff, vintage fly rods, creels etc...but don't drag it all around. That's just got to be a total hassle to organize and pack all that stuff! I take firewood.

Now to really stir the pot. It's just me and I'm a guy...but a "glamped" older trailer is lost forever. I also know of a load of other males that feel the same way about it. No one will ever want to take the time to strip out all the painted, decoupaged interior, strip the exterior and do a real paint job on it. Another woman looking for a trailer may not like the way it is done and unless it's a steal or for parts, no guy would buy it without wanting to do a total redo on it. At that point, it's too much work to go through it all.

I do coordinate paint and colors/fabrics on an interior, and I will take age appropriate outdoor chairs with the trailer...but to haul a truckload of extra display materials, just seems ridiculous to me. "Glamping" is too much when you spend more time organizing your display and worrying about someone tipping something over rather than actually having a good time camping. If you can't actually walk into your trailer and turn around without knocking something over or having to move it all before you can use the interior...it's too much! It's kinda more of a standy thing though.

No one else would say it, but it had to be said. To each their own, just my opinion. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:59 pm

doug hodder wrote:

Being a male, and a camper...I think a lot of this "glamping" is out of control. Over on the Tin Can Tourists site, you see people that haul all sorts of unused crap out. Check out their trailers and you can't even get in for all the stuff on display. Seriously...does anyone need 75 different Coca Cola items in a trailer, I've seen it in person...then, you have to have the old late 40's Cosco chair...just because it's red, or 3 Thermos jugs in different sizes...or 6 pink flamingos, faux potted plants, white picket fences, or a full set of matching old Samsonite luggage all stacked neatly near the trailer. Why, just because you have it? It's gotta be a female thing. I have a ton of Coleman stuff, vintage fly rods, creels etc...but don't drag it all around. That's just got to be a total hassle to organize and pack all that stuff! I take firewood.

Now to really stir the pot. It's just me and I'm a guy...but a "glamped" older trailer is lost forever. I also know of a load of other males that feel the same way about it. No one will ever want to take the time to strip out all the painted, decoupaged interior, strip the exterior and do a real paint job on it. Another woman looking for a trailer may not like the way it is done and unless it's a steal or for parts, no guy would buy it without wanting to do a total redo on it. At that point, it's too much work to go through it all.

I do coordinate paint and colors/fabrics on an interior, and I will take age appropriate outdoor chairs with the trailer...but to haul a truckload of extra display materials, just seems ridiculous to me. "Glamping" is too much when you spend more time organizing your display and worrying about someone tipping something over rather than actually having a good time camping. If you can't actually walk into your trailer and turn around without knocking something over or having to move it all before you can use the interior...it's too much! It's kinda more of a standy thing though.

No one else would say it, but it had to be said. To each their own, just my opinion. Doug
Friends don't let friends tow white boxes!

I tend to agree with you, Doug. While it's entertaining fun to look at what people do and display, I wouldn't want to camp in all that. I have trouble packing up my regular camping stuff without anything extra. But then, you know me....I'm the one who tows the "white box"! :vroom: :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:04 pm

doug hodder wrote:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers