Camping Safety Tips

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Camping Safety Tips

Postby droid_ca » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:33 pm

With all the discussion on numerous threads I thought that maybe this would be a good spot to post some camping safety tips

One that I try and tell people is to take a pair of socks you are wearing (the sweatier the better) wearing and have that person place them in a sealed Ziploc bag, also take some new tinfoil and have them step in it to make an imprint of the shoes that they are wearing.A recent picture is also a very helpful ...These tips are so that if a person or child goes missing then you have some helpful tools for when help arrives, to help find the lost child

Here's to safe camping
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Re: Camping Safety Tips

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:59 pm

Excellent advice! We could use more of your wisdom, when you have the time. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby droid_ca » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 pm

For when it comes to strangers we tell the family's to have a code word and if a stranger doesn't say the code word get the heck out of there start screaming or whatever , works for other situations as well not just camping

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:29 pm

People don't listen much when a kid screams because some scream a lot. If you're in a campground, especially a forest, yell FIRE! Everyone will look when they hear that. Of course, if you're just having fun when you scream that, get ready for the wrath of everyone in the campground. It's not something that's taken lightly.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby droid_ca » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:58 pm

S. Heisley wrote:People don't listen much when a kid screams because some scream a lot. If you're in a campground, especially a forest, yell FIRE! Everyone will look when they hear that. Of course, if you're just having fun when you scream that, get ready for the wrath of everyone in the campground. It's not something that's taken lightly.

That is correct When I was teaching a rape prevention course that is one of the things that we taught them to yell as well, and if anybody does try grabbing you always try to get some form of DNA if you are able as that is a sure fire way of getting the authorities the evidence that they need to press charges

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby jeff0520 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:19 am

Here's a good one we always use. When camping in tick country (Alabama has the worst tick infestation I've ever seen.) String a tarp canopy over your campsite. Ticks often drop out of trees onto a host. At our main campsite I string a "ridge line" between two trees and pull a 20x40 tarp over it, then rope the edges off to surrounding trees. It cuts down on ticks as well as providing sun and rain cover. At night it also makes lanterns more effective by reflecting some light back down, especially if you use light colored tarps.
Hypno-Toad's Command Post, the build thread! http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50384

jeff0520
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:02 am

Good one, Jeff! ...Never would've thought of that!

When hiking or walking in tick infested areas, strap flea and tick collars snug around the ankles of your pants to keep ticks out.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby droid_ca » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:05 pm

Oh I also wanted to ad carry a whistle, and teach everyone the proper ways to light a fire 8)

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby jmkjr72 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:47 pm

when in tick country when i was in the army we used to go to the px and buy pantyhose and wear the pantyhose in the field
when you get a chance to take them off the ticks come off also

if you do get a tick embedded make sure you save it in a zipper bag so you can show it to the doc at the hospital

whistles are a great idea but also make sure that every one knows to only use them in an emergency if they call in search and rescue on a false alarm its one heck of a bill

every one should have a whistle knife and at least 2 ways to start a fire and one of those should work even when its wet and at least 2 quarts of water if out on an adventure
maps of the area are a big help

and dont forget the buddy system
and in bear country make sure you are faster then your buddy :twisted:

cell phones dont always work and dont count on a gps if your compass starts acting funny keep walking towards your visual target point what has happened is you walked over a magnetic area and as soon as you are out of it your compass will start working again
jmkjr72
Teardrop Builder

Postby Rainier70 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:44 am

Because I am usually fishing and hiking in remote areas, I always carry a PLB. Personal Locator Beacon They are pricy, but I am worth it! I would only use it in an extreme emergency, as it calls in search and rescue. This is an example of one from REI http://www.rei.com/product/849914/mcmur ... n-with-gps

There are also the SPOT beacons. They are less expensive, but require a subscription $99/yr. You can use them to send a message of where you are and that you are ok etc, or that you need help from family, and in extreme situations, Search and rescue. http://www.rei.com/product/849914/mcmur ... n-with-gps
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:26 pm

Rainier70 wrote:
They are pricy, but I am worth it!

I love this statement. More people should think that way when it comes to their safety! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby DMcCam » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:17 am

If you're going on an all day hike especially in the back country, let the camp hosts or another camper (you've become friends with) know where you're headed and a timeline for return.
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby desertrat9 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:21 pm

I usually camp as a single lady. When I go I try to leave an agenda with a friend with instructions to call if I'm not back (say gone Friday and Saturday night - call me by 9 o'clock Sunday evening ) and I always leave a note at my house stating where I've gone and for how long. When I go hiking in the campground (there are some campgrounds that I really don't want to tell the host there is going to be a single lady out hiking by herself) I will leave a note inside my car or trailer stating which trail I've taken and when I should have been back. Never had to use these but they are always there.

Also, I usually camp with a very big dog, but when I have to leave him at home, I always take an old food dish or two (cleaned) and leave it and a leash out, it looks like there is a dog in the camp site.
Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from the grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth! - Ann Tyler

It's opener out there - In the wide open air - Dr. Seuss
desertrat9
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Corwin C » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:35 pm

From a discussion quite some time ago ... this applies to all who travel alone. Unfortunately there are those out there who will prey upon anyone.

Corwin C wrote:A little advice which applies [to anyone]. Where ever you are, act confidently and be sure of yourself. Do everything you can to not look like a target. For example, there is an elderly lady locally who often stays by the river fishing. She hangs a mans coat on an extra chair and places a pair of oversized old boots by the door so it looks like she's not alone. For a long time I thought someone was [always] with her. It wasn't until we stopped to warn her about an oncoming flash flood that I found out otherwise.

Camp with confidence ... walk with your head up and pay attention to all of your surroundings. If you're aware and the unthinkable happens, at least you will more likely see it coming and be able take action to prevent harm to yourself or others.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Return to Camping Secrets