VENTEAR Weekender - Oct 12 2015 - Legal - but topless

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

VENTEAR Weekender - Oct 12 2015 - Legal - but topless

Postby Breytie » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:44 am

I have been planning this thing to death. :? Now to forget about 90% of the planning and start DOING! :twisted:

It will be a full size Weekender (I want the galley!) based on Mike's plans.

Walls & roof will be 6mm (1/4") marine ply, floor 12mm (1/2"), some galley parts & hatch 10mm (3/8").
No sub chassis, single layer floor, no insulation, minimal framing.

Finish will be varnish if my workmanship allows, else good quality paint. :oops:

No AC (perhaps on-board charger), 12V DC only. LED lighting throughout.

Spending this weekend shopping for fittings and accesories. Vent, Windows, hinges and seals will decide some construction details.
Lots of wood arriving next week, I still have to build a sheet wood rack on castors before it does. I wonder how much I have to borrow to cover it all? :cry:

Cabin construction will happen on a platform with castors for ease of construction and storage. The chassis will be done last to fine tune height and balance.
Last edited by Breytie on Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:40 am, edited 13 times in total.
Experience is learning from your own mistakes
Here I make mine in public: My build
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Re: Unnamed Anorexic Weekender - Start Spending

Postby danlott » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:50 am

Sounds like a pretty good plan.

I also built a lumber storage rack to help store plywood and stick lumber for my build. I am very glad that I did it.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Re: Unnamed Anorexic Weekender - Start Spending

Postby Breytie » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:53 pm

Dan
Thanks for those pics, the bins on the side I never thought of, great place for keeping off-cuts and smaller pieces.

The shopping did not go quite to plan, but I did manage to find a something like hurricane hinge, here they call it window hinge. It might be a bit smaller than what most other people use. It has a range of motion from about -30 to 90 degrees, which should be enough. Price? About $10 for 2m (about 7ft), and that includes the plastic trim strip.

I will have to go back during the week to talk to the workshop manager about most of the other parts I still need.

Here are some of the electrical goodies I gathered.
12V 7AH SLA batteries, LED only illumination, home-brew charging and self resetting poly-fuses are the main ingredients. Many parts are recovered and re-purposed.
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Ventear Anorexic Weekender - Start Spending

Postby Breytie » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:25 am

I wanted to call it the ESCAPE POD, but that name has already been taken.
Out here, any utility trailer gets called a VENTER trailer as that is the best known brand of trailer out here. Combined TEAR and VENTER, and I got VENTEAR!

The Marine ply has been ordered, as has some wood for the platform, wood rack, and a workspace reclimation project. Solids for the framing, joining and supports will be ordered when I know what the ply looks like.

Still looking for castors, a heap of assorted clamps and a tape measure marked in inches. The nice new powertools will have to wait for another year.

I cannot wait to start, I can already smell the sawdust!
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Re: VENTEAR Anorexic Weekender - Start gathering

Postby rebapuck » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:33 pm

RAH! RAH! RAH! Let's do it!!
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Breytie » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:01 am

The particleboard has arrived at work. I didn't expect them to be that BIG! Delivery to home will happen tomorrow. The weekend will be used to do the timber rack, wife's storage rack and the mobile assembly base. I hope there are enough hours as I still have to work Saturday morning and Sunday is no-no for working.

The Marine ply will only arrive next week, definately a blessing in disguise.
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby Breytie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:31 pm

WOOD! Stacks of wood in my garage! Delivered earlier today :applause: .
SAWDUST! Fresh SAWDUST on the floor! :D

Actually it is from lumber cart construction, but it is part of the project. Plans as from http://www.woodworkingformeremortals.com - same as Dan's pictured above. Most parts were cut when noise making hours ran out at 20:00. I will cut the rest tomorrow, then rout the dadoes and assemble if time allows.

SWMBO requested that her shelving be constructed from the same ply as the lumber cart and not particle board as I originally planned. Result: 1 sheet particle board to many, one sheet ply short :o ! Ah well, I'll have it delivered with the marine ply when that arrives. Hopefully it will happen before Friday as it is a public holiday and thus planned as a full construction day.
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Re: VENTEAR Anorexic Weekender - Lumber cart done

Postby Breytie » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:03 pm

So, the lumber cart is finished and loaded. The floor has been swept, the shopping list drawn up and everything is ready for the next step. Unfortunately that will have to be more home / workshop cabinetry as my ply still has not arrived. The guy who ordered it is on leave, so I have no way to follow up.
I need to make some sort of notice board for the shop so I can jot down what is running low.
The wife's cabinet has reverted to particle board and it can be built over this weekend, as will the movable build platform.
If time allows, I will rough out the VENTEAR's profile and vertical layout in hardboard and cardboard. I need to find doors or the right combination of hardware and design and a satisfactory design for the lower galley area.
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby PubUltraStar » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Jealous of the lumber cart.

There is always risk in being awesome!
http://www.diy-teardrop.com/
http://www.m2-photo.com
PubUltraStar
Gold Donating Member

Postby Breytie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:00 am

PubUltraStar wrote:Jealous of the lumber cart.

So am I - that's not mine - that is Dan's handywork - mine is a lot more agricultural looking but based on the same plans.
No need to be jealous buddy! Make your own:2 sheets of 3/4" ply plus a few offcuts, screws & glue - I used the cheapest & nastiest shutterboard I could get. Add about 3 to 4 hours work and 4 castors and you have your own.
It freed up a lot of space in the garage and simplyfies moving lumber around. Being on the backside of 50 makes that an important considderation.

Just keep going!
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby danlott » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:27 am

PubUltraStar wrote:Jealous of the lumber cart.

I used 4 sheets of 3/4" plywood, (2) 2x4's, (1) 1X4 and 4 coasters. Took only a few hours to build. I copied several ideas into my design and made a sketchup drawing of it before I built it. Here is a link to the sketchup file. https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=3c61d2bef338b3dcf00c9ba49d32f159

Dan
Last edited by danlott on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
danlott
Donating Member

Postby Breytie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:33 am

danlott wrote:I used 4 sheets of 3/4" plywood, (2) 2x4's, (1) 1X4 and 4 coasters. Took only a few hours to build. I copied several ideas into my design and made a sketchup drawing of it before I built it. Here is a link to the sketchup file. http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=3c61d2bef338b3dcf00c9ba49d32f159&prevstart=0

Dan

Dan
Is that a full sheet sized unit?
Andre
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby danlott » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:23 am

Breytie wrote:Is that a full sheet sized unit?

The storage cart is 6 feet long, so an 8 foot sheet of plywood will overhang each side by 1 foot. Making it 6 feet long instead of 8 feet reduces the overall size, but still allows you to be able to adequately support 8 foot sheet goods and lumber.

Dan
Image Image
danlott
Donating Member

VENTEAR Anorexic Weekender - Experience gained

Postby Breytie » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:46 pm

The build lumber arrived at work to late on Thursday to be delivered home. Today, having been a public holiday, was spent making more preparations and the wife's cabinets.

Experience gained: Never, never, EVER ass-u-me that any sheet goods are square as it arrives, EVER! Take a single edge as your base line and square up all your measurement from there. Else, like me :oops: , you end up with a pile of slightly off-square slightly undersized offcuts instead of a pair of storage cabinets. :cry: Fortunately I learned the lesson with relatively cheap lumber, not the marine ply!

An update on the lumber cart: Use a bungee or some tie-down to keep the sheet-goods tight up against the cart. The mass of a sheet of 3/4" ply makes it want to go straight when the cart makes a turn.
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Re: VENTEAR Anorexic Weekender - Experience gained

Postby rebapuck » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:01 pm

Everything in life is a learning experience.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Next

Return to Build Journals