Just Got Done Polishing My Turd - IT LIVES!!!

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Just Got Done Polishing My Turd - IT LIVES!!!

Postby WhitneyK » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:21 pm

Acquired a 275 quite a few years back and just got around to cleaning it up. Disassembled, cleaned all removable parts with the exception of removing the "valve assembly" from the tank, and polished the brass and aluminum parts. After reassembling all but the top and globe and before putting new mantles on I wanted to be sure it held pressure ok. Filled about half full of fuel, replaced cap, and since it wasn't completely full, pumped it up about, oh, say 45-50 times. Keep in mind, I haven't moved it from my concrete floor yet. The ON/Off sticker is missing, so silly me figured Off is to the left like a water spigot.....wrong! Anyway, I now have fuel, not vapor, dripping out of where I connect my mantles when I the valve is On. :x

What did I do wrong?

Why is fuel dripping out?

It's not over full or been tipped? :thinking:

I have no experience at owning/operating a Coleman lantern or any other of their products with the exception of a cooler. Got a 220K that I inherited from my f-i-l that I've went through and have to order a new valve packing. If there are any parts I need for my Turd, it would be nice to order them at the same time 'cause shipping is high (for a little part anyway = $5.95)

'priciate any help ;)
Last edited by WhitneyK on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Re: Just Got Done Polishing My Turd

Postby wagondude » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:17 pm

Sounds like the valve is open. It would allow fuel to travel up through the manifold to the burners. If it is just slightly open, the fuel vapor will condense and drip out. There could also be something in the valve preventing a complete seal. You can take the valve needle out by loosening the packing nut then turning the valve stem until it comes out. You can do this without damaging the packing (relieve any pressure in the fount first). When you put it back in, turn the valve in until it seats then turn the packing nut on and snug it down. Then check to make sure that the valve operates smoothly. The next time you fuel up and add pressure, open the valve and watch the packing nut for leaks. If it leaks, tighten the nut a little more and cycle the valve again. When you can open the valve without leaks, you have it tight enough.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:40 pm

I'm confused. Fuel is dripping out of the mantle port when the valve is on but stops when the valve is off?

When you go to start up a lantern, at first, there is no heat to vaporize the fuel in the generator. So, you may get a bit of liquid out of the port where the mantle attaches rather than a fine mist or gas. Once you light the lantern the heat of the flame will heat up the generator and vaporize the fuel so that it's a gas, not liquid or mist, coming out of the manifold (or whatever the attachment point of the mantle is called). The whole point of the generator is to vaporize the liquid gasoline into a gas so it burns cleanly.

Sooo, depending upon how much gas is coming out, it may be OK. If it's excessive there might be something amiss.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby WhitneyK » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:30 pm

Bill, Gus, thanks.

eamarquardt wrote:I'm confused. Fuel is dripping out of the mantle port when the valve is on Yes but stops when the valve is off? Correct again

When you go to start up a lantern, at first, there is no heat to vaporize the fuel in the generator. That makes sense. So the fuel must be heated to vaporize and not just vaporize due to pressure. I'm glad you clarified that, cause I figured it was all due to pressure So, you may get a bit of liquid out of the port where the mantle attaches rather than a fine mist or gas. Once you light the lantern the heat of the flame will heat up the generator and vaporize the fuel so that it's a gas, not liquid or mist, coming out of the manifold (or whatever the attachment point of the mantle is called). The whole point of the generator is to vaporize the liquid gasoline into a gas so it burns cleanly. So I may get a little liquid out at first?

Sooo, depending upon how much gas is coming out, it may be OK. If it's excessive there might be something amiss. The valve was on when I started pumping, so when I got to 45 or 50, it had been on for ??? 30 seconds ??? Rather than just on until ignited.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gus

May proceed with putting on the mantles, burning them off, and attempting to light the lantern.............out in the driveway well away from everything of course, just in case. :frightened:
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:39 pm

All the way to the right is off for that valve. As it sounds like you found out. All the way to the left is burn position ( 9 O clock ). There is a detent at about 10 O clock for lighting. If yours is a 275 and not a 275A and the valve is leaking it is probably the scherader valve in it. They have a valve that looks just like the one in your tires. But it needs to be one that is fuel resistant. They started doing that with the 275A. You can get the valve from old coleman parts. Or your auto parts store and get one for the fuel injection system. Should fix it right up

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:22 pm

I'd suggest ensuring the valve turns on and off correctly. Make sure the amount of fuel being released is modest when the valve is open and the lantern unlit. Blow out the lantern with compressed air to get rid of any excess liquid fuel, and then install your mantles and "go for it".

Yes on dirt or concrete and away from combustible stuff and with a fire extinguisher handy.

There are plenty of folks with far more experience with lanterns than me but I think yer good to go.

Be safe. As Richard Pryor said: "Fire is a great motivator. You can run real fast when you're on fire". He figured that out when freebasing cocaine.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mukilteo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:24 pm

+1 on what Randy says.
Sounds like you have the old style scherader valve.
That is how they became known as "Turds"
Join the Coleman collectors forum, you'll get all sorts of help.
http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/
I always pump up new to me lanterns to make sure they hold air and will turn on and hiss and turn off and stop hissing before adding fuel.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Mukilteo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:35 pm

I've been scrounging up beat up 275's and 200A's and making Frankenlanterns out of them.
It gets rid of the bad 275 valve design.
Here is the part you probably need.
http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product.php?productid=202&cat=&page=1
While you're at it see what other parts you might want to justify the shipping charge.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:16 am

I just polished up a Turn my self. Really huge fireball on light up. Figured I go look for the instrunsings.

Coleman Owner's Manuals

http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/resources/man.php

I’ll have to try it again now that I read the PDF.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:27 am

Ooh, nice one. Love me a nice shiny turd with the tapered frosted glass. Sweet. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby WhitneyK » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:52 am

Wolffarmer wrote: If yours is a 275 and not a 275A and the valve is leaking it is probably the scherader valve in it. Randy

Mukilteo wrote:Sounds like you have the old style scherader valve.
I always pump up new to me lanterns to make sure they hold air and will turn on and hiss and turn off and stop hissing before adding fuel.

My Turd looks just like Terry's, before & after. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't have the Schrader valve (and yes I know what they look like, I've been in/around the tire business for 30+ yrs, matter of fact, my brother is a distributor of tire shop supplies :R ;) ) The valve does shut off/hold pressure, I tested it like Eric mentioned. No sense workin' one over it the tanks got a hole rusted in it. The "valve assembly" looks the same as my 225 with the exception that the "cleaner" is incorporated into the on/off valve, and there's the indent/clicker thing.
It's a shame, I had my Turd soooo shiny too, now it's got dust stuck to the fuel residue. Oh well, I'll wipe it off and try 'er again. (watch for the smoke :shock: )

Terry, looks like your ON/OFF sticker fell off too. Have no idea where mine went though.....

Is there a substitute I can use/purchase for the valve packing on my 220K instead of ordering one?

Junkboy999 wrote:Image
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:34 pm

Ya my label fell off. need to find a heat tolerant glue to put it back on. Mine is really flaring, not sure if it is a 275 or 275a style.

I only had one 200a that was leaking around the fuel control valve, The know also turned super easy, I just pumped up the tank a up with 50 pumps and tightened the nut behind the knob ⅛ and leaked tested it for a few min. it stopped leaking. The Packing is a harden core of graphite. I never replaced one as of yet. when I break donw the lantern for cleaning I leave them alone. If I ever need to really replace one I just replace the valve assembly because I have a few spares.

good walk through of rebuild a lantern ( not a 220 ) but good info of how he replaced the packing and leaked checked it.
http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/p ... ht=packing
Last edited by Junkboy999 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mukilteo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:21 pm

The model number is on the collar. 275 were the first ones made. 275A got the improved fuel proof valve and other upgrades.
Below the collars are a couple of 275 FA tubes.
You can see the Schrader valve in one.
The one laying down has a crack in it. Probably was run with RUG in it by the black goo on it.
(RUG = regular unleaded gas)
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby pohukai » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:10 pm

pohukai
Teardrop Master

Postby Junkboy999 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks Mukilteo

Mine is just the older 275. I’ll have to play with it a bit more when I have the time.

pohukai

Ya that is one of my Fav MB episodes. I laught so hard when Jammie’s Turd exploded when he attempted to use a power buffing wheel.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment