Help with DO identification

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Help with DO identification

Postby Jdw2717 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:24 pm

After attending Bob Henry's seminar on DO cooking at CRA, I decided to try my hand at using a DO. My mother in-law has given me a DO to use but I have no idea what kind it is. She said it was her grandmothers so I believe it is fairly old but there are no labels or numbers on it. I have seen a post where someone said they would not take a valuable DO camping to keep it from "walking" off and I have to agree. And being a family heirloom I probably won't take it camping either but I will use it to learn on at home.

The oven is 8 inches at the bottom and about 3" deep. If anyone has an idea what type it is, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Re: Help with DO identification

Postby bc toys » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:08 am

welcome to DO cooking can't tell you what type they are without looking closer but as far as taking them camping I take lots of mine and never had any walk I've even walked and left them (had other cooking going on across town) and they made their way home friends brought them down for me. But what I was going to tell you is get you some metal tags and aircraft cable and tag them all mine have tags on the 1 one DO and 1 on the lids all my extras (lid lifters. wind shield. tongs.)yes tag everthing and at night put them away eather in trailer or on car. but most of all enjoy them and you will like cooking in them better.
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Mary C » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:09 pm

what he said and........From the looks of that one you will have to use chain on the top I think Bob said make a loop use something to hold it together and put the coals in the ring of chain. you can use a loop for the Bottom to keep it up off the coals and it will be able to get air. First I wood start using it in the oven to get the hang of it then move to the coals. I am not the one to ask but Bob frequents this forum and you might want to check back here. He is usually on weekdays.

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:27 am

I have a rat tail spyder skillet.

It is ancient and I was so paranoid about loosing it I would never use it. To further complicate the issue it has a couple cracks where the handle attaches. It was probably dropped and landed on the point of the handle long before I aquired it. I would not use it for fear of it breaking or losing it. I took myself aside and asked what the hell good is it if you are afraid to use it. After that epithany I started cooking in it at gatherings. A 10" lodge camp oven lid fits perfectly and I love it as my mini dutch oven.

If you are alone there is no one to lose it to, and if you are with friends and it is identified they will bring it to you if found,

easy to see the possible confusion without a tag !

SO put a tag on your pot and take it out and enjoy it.

Now quit worrying and get cooking.

Mary was right a short section of log chain will keep the coals on the lid

and an old gas stove grate make a great set of legs to allow you to use it just like any other camp oven.

Here is my chicken fryer with it's artifical legs...

Back to the I.D. question.... Many of the early pieces will probably remain a mystery so just enjoy the good meals it can provide.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jdw2717 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:06 am

Sounds good, thanks. Hmmm.... Now what should I make? :twisted: Maybe some chicken and rice. :R
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:34 am

Jdw2717 wrote:Sounds good, thanks. Hmmm.... Now what should I make? :twisted: Maybe some chicken and rice. :R

Here ya go !

Byron's Dutch Oven Recipes

Dutch Oven Recipes > Baked Chicken And Rice

Baked Chicken And Rice
2 cups long grain rice 3 cloves garlic; minced
1 can cream of mushroom soup 1 Tbs. worcestershire sauce
1 can cream of chicken soup 2 cans water
1 cup sour cream 8-10 pieces of chicken
1 small onion; diced 2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 stalk celery; diced salt and pepper to taste

To a 12" Dutch oven add rice, soups, sour cream, onion, celery, garlic, worcestershire, and water. Stir to mix. Season chicken with poultry seasoning and salt and pepper then place over top of rice mixture.

Cover Dutch oven and bake using 10-12 briquettes bottom and 14-16 briquettes top for 90 minutes.

Serves: 8-10
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Cast Iron