Just Got Done Polishing My Turd - IT LIVES!!!

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Re: Just Got Done Polishing My Turd

Postby WhitneyK » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:58 pm

Mukilteo wrote:The model number is on the collar. 275 were the first ones made.

Yep, mine's just a 275, made 11/76. Thanks for the pic of the schrader valve, it's pretty obvious what it is alright.
Mine has the "old style" generator with the removable cleaning rod same as the 220K. (matter of fact, part numbers are the same)
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:16 pm

I did find out a few things. Mine always flares up a lot when starting when cold. So I only give it 10-15 pumps at first. I take the Vent off but keep the glass on, and light it. I back the knob from the ON position off ⅛ if it is flaring up badly, it starts to die at this point, so back to on position while it warms up. When shutting it off I take it to OFF it starts to die but stays light for a while like it is still running. I turn the knob back a bit ⅛ (CCW) and this kill it. I let it sit for a min just a little above OFF while it cools. If it is HOT taking the knob to OFF or to NO at this point she fires back up.

The Money Shot. 8)

Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:50 pm

My turd acts similar when shutting down. Just before fully off it acts like it is going to die, then at off it brightens back up. I just turn it all the way and it burns off after a second or three and dies. I just figure this is inherent in the design and is intended to burn off the residual fuel in the generator. :thinking:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: Just Got Done Polishing My Turd - IT LIVES!!!

Postby WhitneyK » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:06 am

MY TURD LIVES!!! :thumbs up1:

Thanks to all who posted and explained how the Coleman gas lanterns work. I always just thought that it was simply operated by pressure alone = pump it up, the pressure forces the vapor up and out.
It all makes sense now..... pressure pushes it up through the generator, the globes heat the generator and cause the liquid fuel to vaporize and turn to a gaseous state :gas: so that it may be harnessed / contained within the cavity of the globes for combustion thus producing a brilliant glow. :dancing: Just never gave it much thought before. :thinking: The "Flame up" in the beginning is just the raw fuel burning until the generator is heated to the proper temperature to vaporize the liquid. :SG Got it! :roll:
My Turd doesn't seem to be as bright as a 220 though, but that's OK.

Anysomeway, here's a couple of shots with my live Turd in action and another showing a sleeping Turd.
Image Image
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:48 pm

8) :applause: :applause: :applause:
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mukilteo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Awesome.
I still haven't lit up my "78" 275. It may become a come parts for a franken lantern.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:30 pm

Nice running Turds. Yep they don’t seem to be as bright as the 220 228.

Ya that is basically how they worked. What is hard to believe is, even though the flames from the burning gas does make visible light, that is not what's creating the brilliant white light. Some lanterns will run without mantels, a small fire ball just floats under the burner tubes only producing the light of a big Bic Lighter. It is actually the heat that flame produces that heats up the mantel to the white glowing state. If you place a fireplace butane lighter in one of the lighting holes you can heat a part of the mantel and get that same glow without turning on the gas. ( heating only one area of the mantel can break it just for info ) This is why when you turn some lanterns off the white light stops quickly because the heat level needed to maintain that white light is gone, but the lantern is still going with a small glowing fire ball until the remaining vapor and fuel is burned off. It is almost Rocket Science
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment