Paul's Base Camp Trailer (Like a Chuck Wagon)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Paul's Base Camp Trailer (Like a Chuck Wagon)

Postby paul.luna » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:21 am

The work Started on July 21, 2013 This is a Harbor Freight 40"x48" Mini Trailer base. After my initial post in June BobHenry posted a pick of his Chuck Wagon plans I took some ideas from him (Thanks a Ton Bob!) and her's what's going on so far...

OK I finally started!
Trailer
Floor and frame built
Placement of floor
one wall mock up
Other wall getting ready to cut door
Both walls mock up

Tomorrow I need to get the bolts and the Bed Liner paint for the Floor.

Day 2 of build (July 22, 2013)

Decided to save money and give this stuff a try.
My Wonderful wife is helping me! Oh and that's Minnie in the background
This Paint is MESSY! Minnie again
My Wife did an AWESOME job. Damn Minnie keeps Bombing my Pics!
No Miles, this is Not your house!
More in progress pics
Galley View
Floor Frame is Bolted on Now it's time to unbolt the tongue.
OK Almost ready for the new Tongue Picking that up today

I was thinking how this trailer has been evolving It was one idea then it changed and so on. Funny how you have things on paper and they don't translate well sometimes in practice so you change it up to work. I have been making on the fly changes since I started this project. So far I am happy with each one I've made, except maybe the Galley hatch (or lack there of) I have been toying around with how best to make this. I may have to move or cut my spar, I need to figure out a hinge and how to make it water proof.

July 23, 2013
Not a lot done today I did get the Tongue that was 2 trips to the metal yard. I also stopped at Harbor Freight and got a Swivel jack the one with a wheel. I mounted the hitch and chains and started drilling the holes I need for the rest. I need to get the longer bolts tomorrow. I'll prime it and get some paint on it before I mount it. I'll post a pic tomorrow.
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Paul's Base Camp Trailer (Like a Chuck Wagon)

Postby paul.luna » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:43 am

Tongue has been primed and installed we'll paint the entire trailer bed later.
You can see here the Tongue extends to the rear supports (got that idea from BobHenry)
another angle added some interior stuff and roof spars
Looking at the rear Galley still have a lot of work to do back there, I am still coming up with a plan.

I have decided to use Resin and Fiberglass on the exterior. (Well I have decided until I change my mind again LOL)
I am going through some of the existing builds to see if I can find a better plan. I also haven't come up with a final rear hatch plan.
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby clermont cubby » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:40 am

Paul

Nice beginning. Like the concept. Even though we own a TD, most of our travel has been with our class B. We do not like to cook inside the van and a chuck wagon trailer would make a lot of sense,

Larry
clermont cubby
Donating Member

Postby paul.luna » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:32 am

Larry,

Thanks! I've been wanting to do some camping ever since my wife brought home a Marmot tent she got from work. Thing is she's not a rough it kind of girl. Don't get me wrong she likes to Mountain bike and ride dirt bikes but not camping in a tent and doing what bears do in the woods. We have a Tacoma with a Tonneau cover I talked her into selling the cover and going for a cool Camper shell. I came up with the idea to use my Harbor Freight Mini Trailer as a base camp trailer after looking into Tear Drops. So the Truck will get a Carpet Kit with all the luxuries of not camping on the ground and our base camp trailer will haul the gear, food and Galley.

She's really supporting my build and even comes out to help out. She rocks! I have been combing through the build threads to learn more about what I am doing. I am now ready to get the Luan for the roof Thanks Paul Moon (BTW we might be related Since I'm Paul Luna, Luna is Moon in Spanish and Italian) I am working out the Hatch still and then need to find some threads on Resin and Fiberglass since that is the way I am leaning for the Shell. Although I do have a source for Aluminum sheets a 10x4 sheet would cost me about 26.00 I'd need 2 sheets at least. One I get the roof on the next thing I am going to do is fill the holes and and decide what I need to do next. I should find out what would make the best filler too.

-Paul
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby paul.luna » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:04 pm

I have a question, Does anyone on the forum have a TD that has a 90deg hatch? What hinge did you use? Will a Hurricane hinge work? and should I go flush to the back of box or have the door flush and basically stick out away from the box?
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby paul.luna » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:59 pm

OK well I made a command decision and went with the flush door... I really wanted to get the luan on I'll make adjustments to the back as I need em.
Pics soon
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby paul.luna » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:37 pm

Here's the latest pics

From the 26th
I used the info from Paul Moon and it worked Thanks brother Moon buddy!
another angle
Other side
Trimmed the fat. Oh and I'll use the scrap to finish that little strip one the bottom
Well Trimmed this side, I'll finish the trimming with a router
Wife wanted the floor painted, we found some "Oops" paint at HD, this is the first of many coats, going to remove all the lights and wire brush the trailer to clean it up too.

paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Sammit » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:48 pm

Lookin good! That Restore paint product is the same I used to do the outside of the side walls of the hobbit hole. I haven't had the chance to test it for weatherproofness yet, but I'm very happy with the coverage and texture so far.
Sammit
Teardrop Advisor

Postby paul.luna » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:46 am

I know it's been a while since my last update but I have update pics of my project. I'll get them posted soon. So since our last update I have skinned the trailer with Aluminum, mounted the box to the trailer, test fitted the door and installed a shelf in the cargo area. Next I need to work on the Galley area, build the rear hatch (order a Hurricane hinge) do some weather stripping, finish up the trim, Paint wiring and sink install.
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby clermont cubby » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:31 am

I like the way it is turning out. Very functional design. May have to build something like it when we camp with the class b.

Larry
clermont cubby
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:58 am

paul.luna wrote:I have a question, Does anyone on the forum have a TD that has a 90deg hatch? What hinge did you use? Will a Hurricane hinge work? and should I go flush to the back of box or have the door flush and basically stick out away from the box?

My little chuck wagon was too short to stand under the hatch so I gave it a brama hump and by moving the hinge point forward as it raises it gets taller.

Here you can see the simple strap hinges I used for the lid peeking oun over my ferris wheel spice shelf.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby paul.luna » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:15 pm

Here we are with the door on for placement.
Here's the other side
Testing some gear fit
light scuff on the surface and the Trim
close up of the trim
Repurposed a desk hutch for my galley self.
I purposely made it off center to get a bigger storrage space on one side.
Oh and the sink is sitting there for placement I still have to cut the hole.
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby paul.luna » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:24 pm

bobhenry wrote:
paul.luna wrote:I have a question, Does anyone on the forum have a TD that has a 90deg hatch? What hinge did you use? Will a Hurricane hinge work? and should I go flush to the back of box or have the door flush and basically stick out away from the box?

My little chuck wagon was too short to stand under the hatch so I gave it a brama hump and by moving the hinge point forward as it raises it gets taller.

Here you can see the simple strap hinges I used for the lid peeking oun over my ferris wheel spice shelf.

I love what you did Bob! I'm short and so is my wife so the height is good. I'm still stressing :thinking: over the hatch I just need to remember if it doesn't work I can still just rebuild it.
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:48 am

Paul why not barn style swinging doors. Cabinets could be added to the doors and with a drop on stabilizer the roof could be tarped

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby paul.luna » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:17 am

I found a build that had a 90deg hatch and I am going to try to do what he did. Only thing is I don't think a piano hinge will work if it rains while I am cooking, unless I put in a drip rail for when it's down and one for when it's open. I removed the pieces from the galley and have already got a plan. this weekend I should have the hatch built. I'll get the aluminum for it next week. I may order the hinge and the hatch latches this weekend as well. More pics tomorrow.
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Build Journals