we need a grilling cook book for grills!!!

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Re: we need a grilling cook book for grills!!!

Postby cleburnescv1937 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:43 pm

Go to Amazon or a used book store and buy one.
cleburnescv1937
Teardrop Inspector

Postby grantstew8 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:17 am

Ouch 1937...that was a little flippant.

I think the point here was to get our recipes rather than just some book and hope for the best. From personal experience I've picked up lots of grilling books and they have one or two useful recipes in the whole book.
I'd far rather get a book from the forum where the food is tried and tested, interesting and taste good.

Originally from Zimbabwe where we braai (grill) all the time, I'm now based in the UK and would love to know how to make a pulling pork rub: Google returned 1.86 million results....how on earth do I know which ones are any good. There's an idea first post for someone with a family secret recipe

Come on guys and gals, this is a good idea, post a few, I'm sure we'll get a few duplicates for ribs, burgers, etc but hey, half the joy of cooking is seeing how other people do the same thing, a bit like building a TD .......

KC posted an interesting turkey cooking
"One of those fateful trips to Poet Creek I helped my mom dig a pit in the river bank, line the pit with stones, and build a fire in it. When the coals were ready we buried a 20 lb turkey (wrapped in layers of foil and damp paper towels) in that pit and several hours later we had the most succulent moist turkey dinner that you could imagine; complete with cornbread dressing, cranberry sauce, etc."
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=57095&p=1033245&hilit=turkey#p1033245

I am sure there are more like this out there.....you know you want to... :)
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby grantstew8 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:36 am

Boerewors (South African traditional sausage)

You will need about 3kg/6lb of meat this can be a mixture or beef, mutton and pork in almost any ratio.

2Kg/4.4lb beef
1 kg/2.2lb pork
20g-40g (about an ounce or two) whole coriander, I prefer more but start off with about an ounce for the first recipe.
2ml (big pinch) ground cloves
2ml (big pinch)grated nutmeg
30g fine salt or less if you're cutting down...
5ml (1/3 of a teaspoon) freshly ground black pepper. I just grind it on without really measuring it
500g speck. This is pork fat from the neck, it basically does not dissolve quickly when heated.
100ml/4oz/8tablespoons good quality vinegar, not malt vinegar
Casings

Method:

Prepare the coriander by scorching it, then grind and sift it. Cut the meat into cubes and combine with the spices. Finely dice or coarsely mince the speck into small cubes, and grind/mince the meat.
Add the speck(fat) and vinegar to the minced meat and mix thoroughly.
Stuff meat lightly into casings.

I like to cook it medium so it's a little moist and not dry and gritty.

ImageImage
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby Zollinger » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:29 pm

That's not a bad idea slow. Hey who doesn't use a dutch oven or grill while camping? Heck I like to cook over the campfire instead of dragging a grill along. . The only problem I see is that it is A LOT of work to put one together. I have my 75 page cookbook typed up in Word and have it indexed ect. Man is it work If I have to add a new recipe and re-index.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Esteban » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Camp-Cook.com http://camp-cook.com/ one of the TD Friendly Websites linked to up top is Joanne's, skilled builder of the Desert Dawg teardrop, camp cooking website filled with hundreds, maybe thousands, of yummy recipes. Many people from here post there too. Look and you'll find more camper tested recipes than you probably imagined, or could ever hope try out. With more to come!
BBQ & Grilling http://www.camp-cook.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=1a0668f4c95f56e21cab4f33bd0fd670 has pages and pages of recipes. :)
Pork Butt 101 http://www.camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3626 is a top of the page sticky!
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby grantstew8 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:14 pm

Zollinger wrote:That's not a bad idea slow. Hey who doesn't use a dutch oven or grill while camping? Heck I like to cook over the campfire instead of dragging a grill along. . The only problem I see is that it is A LOT of work to put one together. I have my 75 page cookbook typed up in Word and have it indexed ect. Man is it work If I have to add a new recipe and re-index.

Word should do this for you. I've a book with an index and table of contents and word does it for me. Send a pm with your email and I'll find the links, it "should" be seemless to add or remove.
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby Mike B » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:14 am

Zollinger wrote:That's not a bad idea slow. Hey who doesn't use a dutch oven or grill while camping? Heck I like to cook over the campfire instead of dragging a grill along. . The only problem I see is that it is A LOT of work to put one together. I have my 75 page cookbook typed up in Word and have it indexed ect. Man is it work If I have to add a new recipe and re-index.

I have quite a lot of experience with this, having done the second T&TTT Dutch Oven Cookbook, the Camp-cook.com Campfire Cooking cookbook and one of my own called Dutch Oven Dishes. I use a program called Sigil to do all the work. The result is stored as an EPUB document. If you format things correctly, Sigil will very easily create a Table of Contents for you, which is way cool. Sigil will also generate links from the TOC to each recipe, so all you have to do is click to get to the recipe. Each page of the cookbook is done as a web page (XHTML), but the editor is visual so you don't really have to know how to do web pages (it helps if you know how, though).

Once the EPUB is finished, you can convert it to PDF format for those who can't read ebooks.

I use Sigil with my Linux operating system, but there is probably a Windows version available, since the program is a Goggle project.
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby rmclarke » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:55 am

This is our 'go to' marinade for beef. On steaks or beef strips.

Beef Marinade
½ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup soy sauce
4 tsp Worchestershire sauce
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar (or regular white vinegar)
2 tsp dry mustard
¾ tsp salt
6-10 cloves crushed garlic (depending on how much you like garlic)
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp coarse ground pepper
½ tsp parsley

Mix all ingredients in a gallon zip lock bag.
Put meat bag & remove most of the air from bag so meat is covered with the mixture.
Put in the cooler and let marinate for at least 4 hr. before you grill.

Happy grilling,
Richard & Elaine
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby Esteban » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:39 pm

Mike B., WOW! That Campfire Cookbook is enormous. Well over 500 pages with over 1000 recipes. It'd take over a ream of paper just to print one. And years of cooking to try out the recipes. Have they considered a Best Of cookbook? :beer:
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:47 am

I agree. Nice job on that Campfire Cookbook Mike!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bdosborn » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:30 am

Mike B wrote:I have quite a lot of experience with this, having done the second T&TTT Dutch Oven Cookbook, the Camp-cook.com Campfire Cooking cookbook and one of my own called Dutch Oven Dishes.

Thanks for the link, I've got your other recipe books but I didn't have the camp-cook version. You do a great job on these and I sure appreciate you sharing them.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby grantstew8 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Reading through the camp fire recipe book and tried pork butt. It's a hit.

Fantastic recipe book !

Thanks Mike.
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1