Picked up some new old green gear

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Picked up some new old green gear

Postby MidTNJasonF » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:59 pm

Trailer is not done yet but I have a couple items for it already.

Picked up this lantern and stove this week. Both could use a little clean up but they seem to be all there.

The lantern has some discoloration on the top and just a touch of rust around the bottom edge. It had some old fuel still in it and I noticed that the cap for the tank was leaking and the seal in it was pretty much shot. I picked up a new cap at the sporting goods store to try and see if it is operational with that. Got a couple of mantles as well as a new can of fuel.

Stove needs some cleaning as well but is in very solid shape. Just a few scuffs or dings but nothing major. Someone scratched their initials in to the top near the latch. I am surprised how much larger this thing is in comparison to my modern Coleman propane bottle two burner stove.

MidTNJasonF
Teardrop Master

Re: Picked up some new old green gear

Postby MidTNJasonF » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:01 pm

MidTNJasonF
Teardrop Master

Postby MidTNJasonF » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:21 pm

By the way I am a bit confused by the markings on the lantern. It says model 220F 228F 63 on the bottom. Looking at the link on oldtowncoleman it shows both the 220F and the 228F as being produced from 1964-1973. Which model is it? and what year was it produced? I would have guessed '63 but if production of that model did not start until '64 I either not be reading things correctly or I have an early production model.

With the Stove being a 413G it should have been produced from 1965 to 1969. The only stamping I can find is on the undersides of the tank tabs and they are both stamped 064. Again I am confused.
MidTNJasonF
Teardrop Master

Postby campmaster-k » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:12 am

MidTNJasonF wrote:By the way I am a bit confused by the markings on the lantern. It says model 220F 228F 63 on the bottom. Looking at the link on oldtowncoleman it shows both the 220F and the 228F as being produced from 1964-1973. Which model is it? and what year was it produced? I would have guessed '63 but if production of that model did not start until '64 I either not be reading things correctly or I have an early production model.

With the Stove being a 413G it should have been produced from 1965 to 1969. The only stamping I can find is on the undersides of the tank tabs and they are both stamped 064. Again I am confused.

Nice stuff. The lantern is a 220f because is has the small vent top. It would be a 228f if it had the larger (big hat) vent top. Same tank or fount is used for both models so Coleman stamped it with both numbers.

I use that same stove for my worker when camping. You cannot beat it. You found the year on the tabs. Many stoves are not marked at all.

Both will serve you well. :thumbsup:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby MidTNJasonF » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:53 am

Excellent, thanks for the clarification.

As a side note my wife thinks I am nuts for buying more, and old, camping gear but I am from Kansas. I was born in Wichita and my Mothers first husband worked at Coleman in the 70's and 80's.

By the way if anyone has October 1973 build camping gear they would be willing to part with I will purchase or trade what I have for it. It is a significant date for me so it would be fun to collect a little from that month and year.
MidTNJasonF
Teardrop Master

Postby campmaster-k » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:23 am

When I was a teenager I started camping with white gas stuff. Then I switched to propane and threw all my stuff in the garbage. Now as a more thoughtful adult I went out and bought all my stuff back that I had when I started. They both have their place.

The white gas little devils are fun to collect, I have a few more than I need and my wife also thinks I am nuts. :?
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby Junkboy999 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:49 pm

MidTNJasonF

The web page dates of production are a loose approximation of official starting date. If coleman had planes to make a new model, they did not start at a set date but rather when the supply of existing parts ran out. This was some tiems a few month ahead or behind the official starting of the new model.

Terrence (Terry ) Marsh Lantern Gallery page shows A 220f in a guy collection that is Nov 1963 and he believes it is the earliest they were made. Yours looks to be even earlier. The bottom line on yours Reads (Oct) 10 model 220f, 228f 63 (1963). Yours is probably one of the first 220F off the assembly line.

http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/coleuslant6180.htm

If you Email Terry a picture of your lantern, side view showing all the parts and the bottom for the date, he can update his data base of when they started to roll out the 220F and 228Fs. He might already know the info, but has not updated his page. But shot him a E-amil just in case and let him know the dates.

On the size. That is the full size two burner stove. The 425 is the smaller sized 2 burner stove.

The same thing goes for the stove. The cases where not dated until 1973 ( I think ) and I don’t remember when they started dating the tabs on the tanks. That tank could of been swapped with a newer stove or it can be right. Yours tabs 0 64 are for Oct 1964 so that can be correct for an early 413g, The feet on your stove are a clue it is a early one.

http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/coleu ... esent.html

I’ll keep an eye out for a Oct 73 stove. And yell back if you see a tanked tab marked 564, May 1964.
Last edited by Junkboy999 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MidTNJasonF » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:09 pm

Excellent thank you for the information.
MidTNJasonF
Teardrop Master

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment