A/C poll

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

A/C do you have one .... Tell us more. up to 5 boxes can be checked

I have a A/C
22%
We use fans
11%
We use cross drafting
5%
We use cross drafting back up by fans
10%
I do not have an A/C
13%
Our A/C is in the Roof front
2%
Our A/C is in the Roof back
1%
Our A/C is in the Roof center
1%
Our A/C is in the side Drivers side
4%
Our A/C is in the side riders side
2%
Our A/C is in the comes from the galley
5%
Our A/C is in the comes through the floor
No votes
Our A/C is in the sits on the ground or table outside the trailer
5%
We power our A/C with an on board battery
2%
We power our A/C with from the car/truck
1%
We power our A/C with solar and backup battery
No votes
We power our A/C from a plug from the camp site plug in unit
17%
We offer a new idea to keeping cool (keep your close on)
1%

Total votes : 129

A/C poll

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:23 am

you have one do you use it?? Where is it and why there, if I :oops: may ask

We do not have one we use fans one hangs from the roof. We do not have a vent but in our new build it will have one. The old boxkite has a place for one to be cut out but never did. But our old trailer had more openings for cross venting then our new one will. Our new trailer will have a battery the old one did not.

There are many many trailers being built now and many with A/C with know idea where to put it and why so this is where you come in.

Please add what you can below please!! :D

up to 5 boxes can be checked
WE Change over time so you can change your vote .... so if you built a new trailer or altered the old one you can change your votes.
:thumbsup: Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: A/C poll

Postby working on it » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:02 am

Don't know how I missed this poll for almost two months.... After all the time I spent working on the plans, building, rethinking, re-building, and all the related changes I had to make because of my design, I certainly feel that I have to put in my $.02. The first feature I deemed necessary for my 4x8 was the A/C. Texas is hot, from April to October (moderate in March and November), and I've known people using the A/C in December as well. Of course, the A/C needs power: a self-contained generator to power it, off the grid, was a must-have (my wife's hobby of Crypto-zoology takes her into the boonies). So far, no major design innovations required in the plans. It was when I did the side layout, and saw that the A/C wouldn't have the needed space to fit on either side (two windows, two doors were decreed by my wife), then the A/C was put into the galley wall. Then came my masterstroke/innovation/overcomplication? that took up so many hours of building and re-working: I decided to make the rear exhaust turn 90 degrees so the hatch could be closed when the A/C is used at night! Three major rebuilds over 6 months, until it worked good enough for Texas heat. As they say on TV- "Don't try this at home!" unless you're one of the following: (a.)an experienced HVAC professional, (b.)willing to spend entire weekends doing something over and over, or (c.)stubborn and determined to the extreme. I wish I was (a), but instead I am (b & c). I have already posted so many times on my A/C tribulations, I will not post any more pictures (other than this)110655 or links to threads about it. However, I still think about it daily; it's part of my persona now, like a scar-or maybe a beauty mark (beauty is in the eye of the beholder?).
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:40 am

No A/c usually cools off enough at night up here to sleep. I also like to boondock occasionally and no electric cord reaches that far and I really do not want to add the weight.

When electric is available I use a fan.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:48 am

Where Slow/Mike is you do not need AC where we are some times yes sometimes no. I wanted to be able to not have the AC with us and just rely on the two three speed computer case fans. There were other considerations, any AC unit attached to the body of the tear will transmit more sound, disconnected not much. The hoses that connect the trailer to the AC are also used for an Espar diesel heater. One of the problems some have encountered is short cycling, the AC runs so little of the time with such wide temp swings that the air is not dehumidified so you are in a cold fog.
The write up of what I did and why is here viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44561 I had a number of false starts and learned from those, you get the benefit.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:57 am

Short cycling is definitely the biggest problem. It's really bad on those "marginal" nights that are very humid. Those nights are the very few nights I regret a teardrop and wish I had something ever so slightly bigger.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:02 am

It's a bit more work not having it full time mounted but we really only use it 1 or 2 times a season and it looks cute when we do use it.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby buckisland1950 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:44 pm

First thing I did was to buy a cheap AC unit and build a way to hang it on the window of my LG. Camped in it 4 times so far and never had to take it out of the toolbox where I store it but it's there if needed. I really prefer to not use one but I definitely don't like to sweat when trying to sleep.

Franke
buckisland1950
Teardrop Builder

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:25 am

I do not have an A/C, but built the trailer (a 6X10 CT) with two 14 inch ceiling vents with fans, two screened windows, an awning, and a screened side door. I am thinking of adding a screen door to one of the rear barn doors; however, so far everything has worked for me during quite a few Southern Arizona fall, winter, summer, & early summer camp-outs and several camp-outs in Minnesota this summer and fall. So far, this has worked well :fan:

Positioning the trailer when parking (if possible) can help ... in the warmer weather, I try to park where I can get a cross breeze ... this not only helps keep the trailer cooler, but it also helps keep the bugs down. ;)

The trailer is insulated and we will see how it goes from here ... I did build both of the roof vents with reinforcement framing in case I wanted to add an A/C down the road. :thinking:

We'll see if the Buddy Heater will work at Gull Lake at the end of October :snow :)
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby KennethW » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:12 pm

Does a evaporate(swamp) cooler count
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Love the Evap!!! It brings back memories from Southern AZ ... I remember Dad having one in his old Olds Rocket and of course that was all we had on the house ... it and a fan or window :fan:
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Return to User Polls