re-paint cast iron. cat iron gruos!

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Re: re-paint cast iron. cat iron gruos!

Postby dguff » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:56 pm

Yeah, you should just repaint them. :)

Jerome
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby cherokeegeorge » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Definitely oil it first :thumbsup:
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby milliejohn » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:23 pm

oven cleaner, steel wool, elbow grease, or sandblast(I have one) and then re-season before using again. There are several video's on the web that take you thru each step, except the painting portion, that is all up to personal choice.
Image ~I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left~
milliejohn
Teardrop Master

Postby GerryS » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:10 am

Running through a self cleaning cycle in the oven or through a dishwasher strips them nicely too...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:53 am

I painted mine silver so folks would be jealous of my "nickle plated" cookware.......

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:59 am

GerryS wrote:Running through a self cleaning cycle in the oven or through a dishwasher strips them nicely too...

Hey Gerry.... I was in the health food store Saturday and found a big block of 100% Bee's wax. I was curious so I heated up one of my well seasoned skillets to smokin' hot and simply smeared on the waxl using the block as the applicator and a paper towel for the hard to get spots. It looks real good! I haven't gotten to use it yet but it looks great. I did the same with the new spider skillet (above) after removing the "nickle plating " the previous owner had applied. It is pitted badly but I am in hopes the bee's wax will help to fill it in a bit. I use the little legged skillets for a shallow dutch oven often so if it doesn't fill in to where it can fry an egg I don't really care I'll just use a different skillet.

Anyone out there have an 11" lid of any kind ?

I would like to buy one!
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:11 am

OK Mike I will be the one to tell ya they are pulling your leg.......

SO put down that high temp aerosol paint can !

Here is what I did to the silver painted spider skillet.....

The last two pics were after 4 - 5 heatings and oilings and the skillet still shows some rust and I am still getting red oxidation off onto the mop rag as I am spreading the oil.

I heated it smokin' hot again yesterday and treated it with the 100% bee's wax instead of the peanut oil I was using and it is starting to look as if it will be servicable with a couple more coatings. Sorry I have no pictures of it after the wax treatment :(
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Pete Mc » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:18 am

Ok first I have to say that is one cool skillet. Second I have to ask. Did you really season the pan with bees wax and did it work well? I have never heard of doing that but if it works Im game.
Pete Mc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:39 pm

Yes Pete I really did ( no foolin ) . It gives a very heavy coating and I left it until the next fireing. I have also been playing with it on a very well seasoned 14" skillet I use almost everyday. I wash and dry it then heat and wax it. At the next use I preheat it and wipe the excess as it melts then simply start cooking. The only real advantage I see is it puts down a much thicked seasoning layer than oil in a single pass. It should really protect a seldom used skillet from rusting because of the thicker waterproof coating during long term storage.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GerryS » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:12 am

[quote="bobhenry"]

Hey Gerry.... I was in the health food store Saturday and found a big block of 100% Bee's wax. I was curious so I heated up one of my well seasoned skillets to smokin' hot and simply smeared on the waxl using the block as the applicator and a paper towel for the hard to get spots. It looks real good! I haven't gotten to use it yet but it looks great. I did the same with the new spider skillet (above) after removing the "nickle plating " the previous owner had applied. It is pitted badly but I am in hopes the bee's wax will help to fill it in a bit. I use the little legged skillets for a shallow dutch oven often so if it doesn't fill in to where it can fry an egg I don't really care I'll just use a different skillet.

Anyone out there have an 11" lid of any kind ?

I would like to buy one!

How did that work in the end? I'll never go back to oils for seasoning. Season the same way you do with oil, just substitute beeswax. I love it!

The only caveat, is it has to be 100%. No paraffin, no soy. Find a local bee keeper if you can.

This makes me want pancakes for breakfast :)
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:29 am

Rather than start a new thread I am gonna tag on here.

I seasoned this first find with the bees wax after a couple healthy sanding. One sanding was dry for about 15 minutes and a second wet sanding for about 10 minutes. There was still some indications of red oxide but I had to see what the bee's wax would do and heated it hot hot hot on the stove top. I dropped in the wax cube and melted of enough to coat it inside and out. I mopped it carefully with a large ball of paper towel and left it to dry. I reheated it and remover the excess. I then let it firm up. I reheated and recoated about 2 hours later and rewiped all surfaces and again removed the excess. The next morning I couldn't stand it I fixed bacon and rolled sausage patties in it. Even the thin bacon strips did not stick. I washed it up and dried it on the fire and sprayed it with some aerosol vegatable oil and left it setting out. The next morning I threw caution to the wind and fried 3 eggs in it. Despite breaking one egg yoke while turning the egg NOTHING stuck. This first new spider now sets pretty and black at the ready in the kitchen.

I have found yet another spider skillet this weekend for $20.00 at a local antique store.

alas it also is an 11 inch althoug the handle is stamped with a big "12" (Where in the hell are the lids for these 11" skillets).

My new find was much smoother. A good wash and a very light sanding only to tooth up the surface and I reseasoned as I did above and it is pretty and black also. I have yet to use it but expect even better results.

Bragging about my feat, my neighbor dragged over two real sweet old old skillets and asked me to look at them. They were rust free but the ancient seasoning on one was flaking off badly so I offered to treat both of these as well. Being the skeptic even after seeing his pristeen looking now black revived skillets he asked me if they would cook well. So I simply took one from his hand and lit a burner on my stove blopped in a pat of butter and cracked 2 eggs into the skillet. It looked like an orgreenic skillet commercial. After the eggs firmed up , I picked up the pan and swirled it ,the eggs slid around in a little tight circle without a care. Jerry I have thanked you 2 dozen times for the bee's wax tip. For those of you who are skeptic ( as I was ) this is a very quick almost painless seasoning method that works far beyond belief.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GerryS » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:31 am

Happy to pass it along. I was a skeptical too...when my wife told me about it. I was afraid of waxy residue or everything tasting like honey. It doesn't, and it works great.

At the crossroads gathering, we were giving a tour. The woman said how much she hated cast iron because (in her words) everything sticks...even then oil. She obviously was doing something wrong. Susan pulled out an egg, a little butter and showed that she had to chase the egg...better than Teflon and NO risk of poisoning yourself with that toxin.

I'm glad you've seen the light :)

Now...one word of caution...100% beeswax only! Some things sold as beeswax are mixed with soy or parafin. Do not use that!!! Check with a local beekeeper to get the wax. You can melt down the comb yourself or usually get it in blocks. I bought 5lbs at a time at the state fair for just a few dollars.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:37 am

I probably would have never even tried it except for the fact I tripped over a display with block 100% bee's wax at a good health food store. It was a happy accident :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GerryS » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:22 pm

Support your local beekeeper if you can :). Bees are in a lot of trouble right now....we need to work to save them....pesticides, GMO and fungicides....there's too much reliance on technology in farming today...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue May 13, 2014 12:59 pm

Anyone remember my 11" spider skillets ? (Scroll back a ways)

Well guess what I found today at my favorite store in the whole wide world ?

An 11" chicken fryer with an 11" lid !

I now have a useable lid for the 11" spider skillets. It is a shallow domed drip top style but with a good length of chain it can still make a good coal lid also.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Next

Return to Cast Iron