"Digging" up old stoves

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

"Digging" up old stoves

Postby falcon65 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:38 am

Hi I'm pretty new to the board but i thought this might catch your interest. While tearing out the back porch on my dads old house yesterday, i found these under 6in or so of dirt and leaves. I had forgotten all about them, having not see then since my dad died I assumed they had been stolen along with a few other "missing items". The one on the left was my dads Coleman 425(no letter) camp stove he bought it new in 1949ish. After sitting in my aunts garage for 25yrs, then in my dads garden shed for 10 yrs and finally outside under a pile of leaves and yard rackings for the last 5yrs. I decided to see if it was junk before trashing it. After putting a little oil on the leather seals and rinsing the tank out with some white gas it was ready to go. I filled the tank pressured it up and was able to have both burners running great in no time :shock: . It really is a testiment to the durabilty of these little stoves 40years of poor storage and abuse and it fires right off with even blue flames 8) . The one on the right is a 425c that my dad got from one of our neighbors 10 yrs or so ago, it has received similar "care" as the 425 but has the tube on the fuel tank broken off in the control valve. The 425c also works great if it has the 425 tank on it, Im thinking it'll be getting a propane adapter, unless someone has a lead on a control valve assembly. Both will be getting rust repair and new paint over the next few days.

"There is nothing to fear but fear it's self" FDR
falcon65
Teardrop Inspector

Re: "Digging" up old stoves

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:07 am

Great finds. Sounds like an archeological dig was in order. Some people find bones under the porch, you find stoves! Have fun restoring them!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Zollinger » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:27 am

Those old Coleman stoves sure do stand the test of time don't they. They look a little rough, but still servicable. :D Welcome to the club. Be careful next think ya know you will have a whole shed packed FULL of stoves, lanterns and what not.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby falcon65 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:56 am

Just finished painting almost all of my dads 425 stove ran out of paint before I could get the wind gaurd :x , it came out a little lighter than I wanted (knew i should have used the red engine enamel for the base instead of silver) but considering what it looked like before I'm happy, BTW the paint is duplicolor green metal spec, with silver high temp engine enamel underneath, painted a few motors this way it held up to the heat there, hoping it does here too.

falcon65
Teardrop Inspector

Postby campmaster-k » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:57 am

Good work and welcome to the nutfarm.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby wagondude » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:18 pm

You might try to see if you can get the rest of the genie tube out of the valve with and easy-out. Replacement generators can be purchased once you get the old one out of the valve. If you get the propane adapter, get the one from Basspro or Cabelas. The one they sell at Walmart has detents to it that I find makes small adjustments difficult. If the knob clicks when you turn it, you don't want it.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:40 pm

falcon65 wrote:, BTW the paint is duplicolor green metal spec, with silver high temp engine enamel underneath, painted a few motors this way it held up to the heat there, hoping it does here too.

Falcon...high temp paint on the box isn't required. The operating temps of a stove are not high enough to make it necessary. You only need it on the grate and the burner assembly, and the gennie if you paint it. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby falcon65 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:50 am

high temp paint on the box isn't required. The operating temps of a stove are not high enough to make it necessary. You only need it on the grate and the burner assembly, and the gennie if you paint it - Doug

Thanks for the tip doug, that high temp paint isn't cheap so I may skip it on the 425c. How well does it hold up on the grates and gennie? I've never used it where it comes in contact with open flames.
Thanks for the tip wagondude I would have never of thought of the clicking being a problem.
falcon65
Teardrop Inspector

Postby doug hodder » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:35 pm

I spray the grates and burners with high temp silver. Works great. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment