Railroad Speeders

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Railroad Speeders

Postby campmaster-k » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:46 pm

I know its not really camping but I was just checking out Rail Speeders . I want one. They are like the teardrop of the train world.

Anyone here do that or know somebody who does? How much do they cost and all that .
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Re: Railroad Speeders

Postby Glenn Butcher » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:01 pm

Here's another hobby to lose yourself in...

I had aspirations of owning one once, but that seemed a bridge too far given my storage/work space. They are mostly restored articles cast off by the railroads as they took on Hy-Rail conversions of autos/trucks. You can still find unrestored relics for under $1000, but they'll almost certainly require a good bit of work to make operable. Folks sell their restored ones for anywhere from $2000-$7000, price mainly depending on the size.

Here are some resources:

http://narcoa.org The national fraternal organization. There's a classified ad page here.
http://lists.cirr.com Here, you'll find a mailing list devoted to the hobby. Lots of activity.

They organize 'runs' on tourist and common-carrier railroads; most are the same sort of friendly folk found here.
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master

Postby teardrop_focus » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Oh, now wait a minute... those are cool!

From link above: http://narcoa.org/
Maybe some day...

Meanwhile, I have a trailer to finish and a bunch of awesome Coleman to use!

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:38 am

There is however one problem, you can't use them, unless you have a private or abandoned rail road or get permission (highly unlikely). I grew up with trains as part of my life. Dad was a big steam fan and I remember going down and seeing the "Daylight" (Pacific coast) steaming in. I have ridden behind more steam engines that many living in the 1800's.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby tac422 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:49 am

I found these two under a shed, they seem to be mostly complete.

tac422
500 Club

Postby campmaster-k » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:25 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:There is however one problem, you can't use them, unless you have a private or abandoned rail road or get permission (highly unlikely). I grew up with trains as part of my life. Dad was a big steam fan and I remember going down and seeing the "Daylight" (Pacific coast) steaming in. I have ridden behind more steam engines that many living in the 1800's.

I bantered about with some Speeder owners on a train forum to see what the deal is on use of track. It seems that if you belong to a recognized club with proper training and insurance many track companies will schedule in a run as if they were any other train. Groups of speeders as many as 25 cars regularly travel the tracks in Northern California where I am from, scheduled in and with permission.

There are speeder groups traveling all over the country with permission, siding and communicating with regular trains.
-Kirk

Build thread -

Check out my Pictures -

campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby campmaster-k » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:02 am

Glenn Butcher wrote:Here's another hobby to lose yourself in...

I had aspirations of owning one once, but that seemed a bridge too far given my storage/work space. They are mostly restored articles cast off by the railroads as they took on Hy-Rail conversions of autos/trucks. You can still find unrestored relics for under $1000, but they'll almost certainly require a good bit of work to make operable. Folks sell their restored ones for anywhere from $2000-$7000, price mainly depending on the size.

Here are some resources:

http://narcoa.org The national fraternal organization. There's a classified ad page here.
http://lists.cirr.com Here, you'll find a mailing list devoted to the hobby. Lots of activity.

They organize 'runs' on tourist and common-carrier railroads; most are the same sort of friendly folk found here.

Thanks Glenn, and yes its looks like this one could consume ones life.
-Kirk

Build thread -

Check out my Pictures -

campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby rowerwet » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:40 pm

do you have to buy an old one, or can you build your own? there is a rather active group of them around here, I see them heading up the highway with the cars on a trailer almost every weekend all summer long.
If I ever got into a train hobby I would probably go more for something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny_tPJMMjaE a member in my church built all of this, my kids have had many birthday parties there and I've gotten to drive many times. all that wood along the rails he collects for his pastor, It helps heat the house. Last time I was over there to get more wood he used the engine and some flat cars to carry the wood from the pile to my trailer.
the black engine is his first, recently he built a modern Amtrack style train powered with used airplane batteries I got from work. He also built a steam engine, but runs it on compressed air as he doesn't have the boiler yet.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:14 pm

That's a nice layout!

There are clubs for that. Just type Live Steamers into your web search and all the clubs should come up. While the members began by building live steam engines, they also build "diesels" (which are really run by battery or gas). The most popular styles are scaled down (1.6" to the foot) models of the real thing. They have organized track layouts at various places and even have gatherings just like we do.
Last edited by S. Heisley on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rowerwet » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:21 am

S. Heisley wrote:That's a nice layout!

There are clubs for that. Just type Live Steamers into your web search and all the clubs should come up. While the members began by building live steam engines, they also build "diesels" (which are really run by battery or gas). The most popular styles are scaled down (1.6" to the foot) models of the real thing. They have organized track layouts at various places and even have gatherings just like we do.

trains just aren't as fun for me as exploring a new lake or river. :thumbsup:
I like to play with them, but I already have a bigger adiction
I've built 7 of these, one I sold, and my sister and I have kids almost ready for their own. Keeps me busy during the winter. I built three of them last spring.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby dguff » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:35 am

slowcowboy wrote:I lost my trains when I built a teardrop. unforatanly I still got a room chawlked full of trains to the ceiling.

slow

Say what??? You lost them and still have them? :?

Jerome
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment