GLAMPING?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Re: GLAMPING?

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:09 pm

By the way, Doug...I think, in your own way, you do glamp...but you do it with style and without a lot of unnecessary extras.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Glamping gone horribly, horribly wrong. While I realize that this is a display at an event, this woman is encouraging others to jump in and has begun a business around this concept. It's just wrong, of course it can be amusing if it were to rain or get windy. Regardless of a display, the interior colors and decor is a bit much, even for a honky tonk! Kinda has that mid 70's massage parlor appearance...not that I would know about that.

PS...she ought to learn how to support that awning without all the guy wires! Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby doug hodder » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:29 pm

S. Heisley wrote:I'm the one who tows the "white box"!

In this case, "white box" refers to any of the generic non-descript manufactured Rv's that are currently all the rage with those "write a check" campers. They are easy to spot, uninspired large white boxes, multiple axles with splashy swoosh type graphics and are hard to tell 1 from another. Many times, they have a full sized Charm Glow BBQ in the back of the truck. Typically, people don't ask for tours of their trailers. The inhabitants sometimes don't come out, but while you are on the way home, they are lined up at the dump station as everyone filled the black water tank. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Rainier70 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:02 pm

To me "glamping" is camping with class and style. It is not a huge clutter and display of low taste fad items.... As was said to each their own. They go camping to be seen.

For myself I am happy to get up in the mountains away from the crowds and just be comfortable in my trailer. I am currently probably too utilitarian as I am camping with things half finished and not much decorated. Hopefully I will get more done this winter. Even then though I like SIMPLE.
Cindy
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nevadatear » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:03 am

Camping with style doesn't mean camping with a ton of stuff. Doug, that pic is seriously scary. While I like my creature comforts while camping, and i like them to coordinate (it s my vacation home, after al). Nothing goes camping, except for my Mary van flower pot, that doesn't have a purpose. Which means I do have a water heater sprayer and a shower shelter,, as well as both a theme (whale) and a color scheme, all of which makes it glamping, or very comfortable camping, at least to me But three matching suitcases and table only to hold Mary's flower pot? No way. And I agree it is really more of a vintage standee thing ( or a ladies on the fly thing)., or car show thing. I have never been to a vintage standee rally, but from pics it seems more like a car show. Yes, we show off our trailers, but to teardroperpps that is secondary to the camping. Maybe I am wrong here, but the vintage rallys seem more about the trailer and its accessories with the necessary camping to get them all together in one place.

I don't think glamping is unique or limited to the vintage standee show off. It s the great food, maybe with turn down service in a tent with a real bed on an african safari. Glamp me Away there, please!
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:39 pm

postby Rainier70 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:02 pm

To me "glamping" is camping with class and style. It is not a huge clutter and display of low taste fad items.... As was said to each their own. They go camping to be seen.

For myself I am happy to get up in the mountains away from the crowds and just be comfortable in my trailer. I am currently probably too utilitarian as I am camping with things half finished and not much decorated. Hopefully I will get more done this winter. Even then though I like SIMPLE.
Cindy

nevadatear wrote:Camping with style doesn't mean camping with a ton of stuff. Doug, that pic is seriously scary. While I like my creature comforts while camping, and i like them to coordinate (it s my vacation home, after al). Nothing goes camping, except for my Mary van flower pot, that doesn't have a purpose. Which means I do have a water heater sprayer and a shower shelter,, as well as both a theme (whale) and a color scheme, all of which makes it glamping, or very comfortable camping, at least to me But three matching suitcases and table only to hold Mary's flower pot? No way. And I agree it is really more of a vintage standee thing ( or a ladies on the fly thing)., or car show thing. I have never been to a vintage standee rally, but from pics it seems more like a car show. Yes, we show off our trailers, but to teardroperpps that is secondary to the camping. Maybe I am wrong here, but the vintage rallys seem more about the trailer and its accessories with the necessary camping to get them all together in one place.

I don't think glamping is unique or limited to the vintage standee show off. It s the great food, maybe with turn down service in a tent with a real bed on an african safari. Glamp me Away there, please!

I agree with both of you. Maybe there are different styles of glamping; but, to me, the most important part is the Camping, with a capital 'C'. Or, maybe "glamping" should really be called Hamping, with the 'H' standing for what makes the camper Happy. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:05 pm

I'm with Doug, and Debbie, and Sharon, but still I do think though that we all glamp. Doug, you glamp, definitely, because the term glamping is camping with glamour, and every one of your trailers has a touch of glamour. The detail, the color, fabric and accessory coordination are so amazing. Yes, I get not having a bunch of unnecessary crap around, but the things you do are just so classy, they elevate the common camper to a very high level of glamper. The same goes for Debbie and Sharon. Your trailers are just lovely, classy, and comfortable, and that is glamping.

My trailer carries NOTHING that doesn't serve a purpose, but this weekend I did some serious glamping with a group of the most wonderful people. To me it was glamping because I sat in a camp chair that was as comfy as any in my living room, (Gander Mountain Guide Series), I slept in a bed as cozy as the one I have at home, watched boats going up and down the canal, launched sky lanterns over the water, saw the sights in town from the (very comfortable) seat of my bicycle, ate at a pot luck that would rival the best restaurant in town (I cooked on a Coleman as did many others), heard some lovely guitar strumming from a fellow Tearjerker, was entertained as well as at the best comedy venue.... I could go on, but you get the idea. It was camping, but definitely not roughing it, at least not in my mind. Sumptuous would be a better description. As good as any "resort" experience could have been. And there was no aspect of it that could have been improved upon by adding a lot of worthless clutter, the view wouldn't have been improved by looking through frilly curtains.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Madmike8 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:16 pm

My take is, if it makes you happy, and you enjoy doing it... Then that's great as long as your not impeding on someone else's happiness. Life is short, enjoy it while you can. It's not my type of thing, but who am I to judge anything anyways...
It's not about the Destination, It's all about the Ride!
Madmike8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:50 am

:thumbs up1:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mary C » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:46 am

When I was young I camped in a green tent speckled with black mildew stains, and was lucky to have a matching army sleeping bag. we dug trenches around the tent because it (the tent) had no bottom. I was not Glamping! Now a lot of folks think it was since the sleeping bag matched the tent............. Glamping i think is for those who want to show off what they can have that is beyond basic camping stuff. I can do little things which make my TD comfortable to the eye, curtains, bedspread and the pillow covers, and they don't have to match but when the stuff becomes unnecessary ( not functional) then it is truly Glamping and if someone can afford it then as we southern girls say "god bless 'em". I am really somewhat a plain ole campin' girl, take what I need and want to have fun with, like a fishing pole.

Becky sounds like you had a wonderful time , that is camping!!!!

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mandy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:50 pm

Mary C wrote:When I was young I camped in a green tent speckled with black mildew stains, and was lucky to have a matching army sleeping bag. we dug trenches around the tent because it (the tent) had no bottom. I was not Glamping! Now a lot of folks think it was since the sleeping bag matched the tent............. Glamping i think is for those who want to show off what they can have that is beyond basic camping stuff. I can do little things which make my TD comfortable to the eye, curtains, bedspread and the pillow covers, and they don't have to match but when the stuff becomes unnecessary ( not functional) then it is truly Glamping and if someone can afford it then as we southern girls say "god bless 'em". I am really somewhat a plain ole campin' girl, take what I need and want to have fun with, like a fishing pole.

Becky sounds like you had a wonderful time , that is camping!!!!

What she said. ^^ :thumbsup:
Who knows I might jump into the deep end of Glamping when my trailer is done. :? :lol: Nothing wrong with a little confort and tackyness. :lol:
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:37 pm

I don't think "glamping" started out being tacky or gaudy. I think that some people got carried away and gave it a bad reputation.
After all, there is no way that tacky is glamorous.
Look at it this way: If it makes you dizzy or blinds you when you open your eyes, it ain't no glamor queen's trailer. :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Zollinger » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:34 am

Mary C wrote:I can do little things which make my TD comfortable to the eye, curtains, bedspread and the pillow covers, and they don't have to match but when the stuff becomes unnecessary ( not functional) then it is truly Glamping and if someone can afford it then as we southern girls say "god bless 'em". I am really somewhat a plain ole campin' girl, take what I need and want to have fun with, like a fishing pole.

Exactly! :thumbsup: I totally agree with you!
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:56 pm

I'll have to admit...today when I went to Wally World to get sheets for the new trailer, and I'm looking at the color coordinated ones that will match the interior.... I thought "I'm gonna get harassed for glamping".

I prefer to make a trailer look like a complete package and that some thought went into the build and decor, not a bunch of crap thrown at it in a drunken fit. If I'm "glamping" then so be it, however...I will never put together a trailer that looks like a box of crayons on acid. These are all necessary items, I picked gray! Won't show dirt, and works with the quilt and pillow cases.

A coordinated trailer exterior/interior decor in my opinion will have a much better chance of resale as opposed to an eclectic collection of unnecessary stuff, and that is ultimately the goal on this trailer. Of course, there are all sorts of potential buyers. I'll put up some pics this weekend and then you can all label me a "glamper"! PS..made some place mats as well, guess what?...they are in coordinating fabrics also! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Mary C » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:55 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

I don't think you overdo it Doug, :wine:

if I had decorating ability I would use MacPherson tartan all over but at $60.00 a yard.........it aint gonna happen.

I can't afford 10 yards at $6.00 a yard so eclectic it will be .

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers