Austin Texas Woody TD Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Austin Texas Woody TD Build

Postby WitsRUs » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:11 pm

After hanging out on TNTTT and doing lots of reading of some really great build threads I decided to start my build log. I will be using my trailer for rock climbing, fly fishing, and other types of outdoor oriented trips. I will also use it for tailgating at the Texas A&M Aggies games! I have decided to use Ryan's build of the Wyoming Woody as my primary guide for my project. If all goes well I am hoping it will be a "Son of Wyoming Woody". I know Ryan did tons of research for his build and I thank him for being such a great journal writer and so willing to share his knowledge and experience. I have also read the build of Dave McCam and his Atma build and I have purchased the excellent reference book by Steve Frederick.

I ordered my trailer from Northern Tool in late August and it arrived in two large boxes; both of which were pretty beat up from shipping from Asia. I picked it up at the local store and here it is in my truck. I also picked up wood for the floor and some other building materials about the same time.

After a few weeks of getting my act together I started the trailer assembly last week. Here are some pictures of that process. Since I have a pick-up I am not going to use the trailer to haul wood in for the build so I did not put on the fenders or lights.

After I got the trailer together and squared up I started to cut the poplar 1X4's for the flooring frame yesterday. Before I assemble the pieces I needed to get some idea of how to use a pocket screw jig since I never had used pocket screws or a pocket screw jig before. I used some scraps to see how that process worked. Here is the first pocket screw joint I made using the jig. It seemed like a very straight forward process.

With my wife travelling on business for 1.5 weeks I am hoping to get the floor built over that time.

Hope all is well!
Bob
Last edited by WitsRUs on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WitsRUs
Teardrop Builder

Re: Austin Texas Woody TD Build

Postby lilgription » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Good luck.. Keep us updated
lilgription
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Welcome. Ryan's Wyoming Woody is very worthy of being copied; good choice.

Looks like you have everything researched and well planned out, but if you find that you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to ask. Someone here will have an answer for you, or will be able to recall someone who has been in the same boat.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:35 pm

Hey Welcome to the forums.

Rock climbing. Its going to be hard getting a teardrop and a Rock Cliff. ha ahah Gl on your build. Is it going to be a traditional Teardrop?
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:22 am

Welcome WitsRUs,

I'm looking forward to your build. Never thought about using our teardrop for tailgating but why not (except that its color scheme is not the great maroon and white). Maybe we'll meet at a game some time.

Gig'em,
Tom (class of '79)
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby WitsRUs » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:29 pm

aggie79 wrote:I'm looking forward to your build. Never thought about using our teardrop for tailgating but why not (except that its color scheme is not the great maroon and white). Maybe we'll meet at a game some time.

Thanks Tom. My son started at A&M last year and we have since been to several football, basketball and baseball games! We really like being Aggie Parents!

Tonight I started to assemble the floor frame. No problems encountered! Again, I am just following Ryan's Wyoming Woody design and build.

Regards,
Bob

Last edited by WitsRUs on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WitsRUs
Teardrop Builder

Postby PubUltraStar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:22 pm

I was just in Austin for the first time a little over a week ago. I was able to catch the UT / KSU game, but sounds like your an Aggie fan. Plenty of football to love in Texas. Anyway, welcome and always glad to see another woodie under construction.
There is always risk in being awesome!
http://www.diy-teardrop.com/
http://www.m2-photo.com
PubUltraStar
Gold Donating Member

Postby WitsRUs » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Finished the deck cross supports and dry fit the 5'x5'x1/4" birch plywood. I am planning on ordering the doors, window, vent and some other hardware tomorrow.

Last edited by WitsRUs on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WitsRUs
Teardrop Builder

Postby _Ryan_ » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:05 pm

Wow, some of these pictures look oddly familiar! :lol: Looks like you are off to a great start, I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

Cheers!
Ryan
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby Loader » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:16 pm

Welcome to the crazy world of teardrops. Look forward to watching your build and someday crossing paths at a gathering.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Campin' Texan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:11 pm

I'll keep an eye out for yours around Kyle! Here's the counter top in mine:

:thumbsup:
Campin' Texan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby WitsRUs » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks for the Welcome! Campin Texan's Aggie Galley looks great! :thumbsup: Gig'em and BTHO Ole'Miss!

I was able to get the flooring deck put together with my wife in Japan and Korea on business. The deck assembly was very smooth and was just like what Ryan in the Wyoming Woody build thread had shown and described. First's for me on this part of the build was using a flush trim router bit and pocket screws.

The next step will be to seal it and this is where I have to deviate from Ryan's build of Wyoming. I can not find the Henry's sealer anyplace including big box or local stores. I did some research in the tntt forums and found that some people have had good things to say about Black Beauty Fence Post Asphalt paint. That is the sealant that I will be applying to the underside tomorrow.

By the way, how do you insert bigger pictures than what are showing on my uploads?

Best regards,
Bob
Last edited by WitsRUs on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WitsRUs
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:35 pm

Nice work, Bob. :thumbsup: :applause:

On the images, if you use the img tags and the Image-url from your gallery (instead of the image BBCode and album tags) you will get the larger non-clicky pics.

In your compositions the pics will look like this (I have used {...} instead of [...] so that you can see it here).

{img}http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=3242&image_id=113250{/img}

With [img]and[/img] tags becomes,
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby WitsRUs » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Thank you very much KCStudly for the image help!!
WitsRUs
Teardrop Builder

Postby _Ryan_ » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Bob,

Looking good! :thumbsup:

One thing I noticed as I was completing my build was that that there was a gap ( about 1/8" ) between the underside deck and the crossmembers of the Northern Tool trailer. This gap was the result of the way the cross members were attached to the inside of the side rails on the trailer.

It wasn't a big deal, but it did creak a bit when I jumped onto the deck. I solved this issue by inserting a few felt bumpers ( the kind for the feet of chairs to protect hardwood floors). You might think about installing a couple rubber pads or some type of window flashing over the trailer cross members before permanently attaching the deck.

Cheers,
Ryan
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Build Journals