compressed natural gas

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

compressed natural gas

Postby bobhenry » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:10 am

I was curious if compressed natural gas would ever be available in tanks similar to the LP tanks we now use. In the tiny house I have the option to use natural gas appliances and was curious if it will be available in more portable tankage.

Anyone know?
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: compressed natural gas

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:21 am

CNG has been used on boats (but not nearly to the extent that propane is) for years. The reason being that it is lighter than air and won't settle in the bilge and be an explosion hazard.

There are a number of disadvantages to it. First the pressure in the bottles is thousands of pounds per square inch. This requires more robust tanks and pumps to compress it and fill tanks. This translates into it's more expensive. The infrastructure to deal with CNG isn't nearly as ubiquitous as the infrastructure for dealing with propane. Propane also burns hotter than natural gas. Propane is easier to store as the pressure is only a couple of hundred pounds per square inch tops.

I can't see a compelling reason to use CNG on a land based camper versus propane. Even on boats propane is, by far, more common than CNG.

There are tanks available on EBay: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/used-cng-tanks but unlike propane tanks the composite tanks have expiration dates beyond which they cannot be used (as far as I know).

I don't think I agree with all of the statements in this article: http://www.cngunited.com/products/the-a ... rsion-kits It is directed at running vehicles on CNG though.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:07 pm

Bob,

Can't help with the question, but would add that if you find/use convertible appliances that come with LP/Nat. orifices, you can switch at will.

Just change the orafice(s) and adjust the air.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:33 pm

The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets